Quiver Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiver Question

I am looking for a traditional leather back quiver, but I do not have any idea if they are safe to carry with broad heads, please educate me.

I am not a back quiver guy (never have like them), but I do know that lots of guys use them for hunting.

I am sure one or more of the guys who use them will chime in soon!

Bisch

Comment

Made mine out of toolable leather from Tandy/Leather Factory. The leather is plenty thick, but be a little careful with broadheads. I put a double thickness in the bottom. A leather punch is helpful, and the lacing is very inexpensive. I like a back quiver -- Indians and Howard Hill used them, even if Jerry doesn't prefer them...

Comment

Like I said, I don't use back quivers, but I would think that you would put a piece of foam in the bottom if you were going to carry broadheads, The foam would hold them in place and keep them from rattling around and getting the edges messed up.

Besides, that's why they make different styles of things, some guys like one style, while others prefer something different.

Bisch

Comment

This might help. http://www.3riversarchery.com/Leathe..._baseitem.html

Comment

I use one on occasion. I bought a kids target at Academy and cut up the foam to use as an insert. No accidents yet. I use 2 blade heads though, never tried it with 3 blades

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Comment

I think Howard Hill put oats in the bottom of his to keep the heads in one spot. I have heard you can use oatmeal, and I have wondered about popcorn or deer corn.

Comment

This pic is from when mine was new a few years back.

This thick piece of leather with sheep shearling glued onto it goes in the bottom. The heads don't move around once placed inside, and if the quiver's well broken in, nothing moves. Be mindful of what John Schulz says in "Straight Shooting", and don't wear one when riding a horse!

Comment

Put a piece of yoga foam in the bottom of your quiver. The yoga foam has several uses, protection, organization, and it helps keep broadheads sharp.

I do like the oats idea, they can double as turkey bait.

Nice quiver Rob!!!

Comment

I like the foam block idea. Hope you're having a good season Ben!

Comment

Mines has like 4" of oatmeal, never had a problem

Comment

There's no reason why a back quiver won't work with a foam layer in the bottom or something else to hold the broadheads. I don't hunt with mine because while the quiver would be no problem, I'm reasonably sure I'd manage to slice an ear off drawing an arrow out of it.

Comment

it is hard for me to hunt with a back quiver

Comment

Double or triple leather on the bottom is just fine for broadheads. I love back quivers. I haven't gotten used to a bow quiver so I always use my back quiver.

Comment

Working...
                              X