Poison ivy/oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    Zanfel is the bomb for poison ivy. I usually get near instant relief with it. Sometimes I have to apply it 2-3 times but it is great with stopping the itching.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

when it comes to poison ivy the best offense is a good defense - once you get it and its bonded to your skin and started to react no amount of hot water or scrubbing will cure - I am highly allergic and my routine is to strip down and wash all cloths then take a COLD shower to keep pores closed and soap up with dish soap or rubbing alcohol if shower is not available (I keep rubbing alcohol in the truck in case I can't get to a shower in time) - the magic window for me to shower after being exposed to reduce/eliminate most systems seems to be around 4 hours

edit: once symptoms pop up your best bet is the steroid shot followed by a course of prednisone oral steroids and as another guy above mentioned you may want to go back for a second shot if you were heavily exposed

also, make sure to wipe down boots/truck seats/steering wheel/backpack/ANYTHING that may have come in contact with the plant directly or clothing that had fresh plant resin with rubbing alcohol
      Last edited by JBT; 04-30-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
        I can't do steroid shots, so I try to prevent getting it as much as possible. After working around it, I use Dawn dish soap to get the oils off asap. This has seemed to help me.
        Just curious why can't you get a steroid shot?

Comment

I had in many times and tried several things, including shots and all ointments. Had it on my arms bad several years back. I was mixing concrete, setting posts in the pasture. I got concrete on a couple of large spots, when it dried it pulled all the moisture and stopped the itch. Seems a little wild, but it relieved the itch and dried the spots out. It worked for me. When I get it weeps and drains bad.

Comment

I started carrying some of the waterless orange hand scrub you get at auto store or hardware store. During the summer everytine I leave my ranch I scrub down with it on any exposed skin. I think it has helped as a preventative measure. Usually if I start itching it's too late and I have to let it run its course.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
              scrub it till it bleeds and spray it with some carb cleaner. It will be gone in 2 days.

then put some mustard in your ear
              Brake parts cleaner works great also! I'm not sure about the mustard comment though.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                scrub it till it bleeds and spray it with some carb cleaner. It will be gone in 2 days.

then put some mustard in your ear
                I see what you did there. I’m telling y’all it worked for me as a kid and my dad still does it. I stay far from that plant

Comment

Chlorine will dry it up in hurry, been using it for 45 years but don't bathe in it.

Comment

Need to find you some saline solution and wash down the open sores The saltier the better it dries out the oils Before all the flesh eating scares at the coast I would make a quick trip down south and soak in the saltwater for a while and wallah it would be gone before you know it Now I take Aveeno and make a paste and cover all sores also take showers/baths with Aveeno oatmeal soap

Comment

Working...
                    X