Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Bow?

Hey all,

I am just now deciding I want to get into hunting with a recurve. I will be using it predominantly for deer and the occasional hog. What is a good bow to get that will be durable? I am just worried to buy a cheap bow that only makes it a season or two. I would like to stay on a budget with this if possible as well. If this thread has already been created which I'm sure it has please direct me there.

Thanks for any input!

Samick sage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll 2nd the sage. At $140, it is a proven hunter. No, it is not pretty, but it is durable and can take a ding or two when you "drop" it on the ground. You can buy limbs for it with various weights so you don't have to buy a new bow. It can handle the fast string materials. It has a great resale value and is a great backup bow/bow fishing rig whenever you move on. Plenty of folks on here have killed their first animals and a few more after that with a sage.

Comment

I have a decent 1st bow for trade in the classifieds

Comment

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS... Thanks to PSE’s newly-designed riser geometry, the Shootdown Pro deftly exceeds the high performance, repeatability, and holding standards that target shooters need to compete at a high level, while also delivering the speed and comfort bowhunters need to get the job done on the hunt. SEE THE SHOOTDOWN PRO

I saw some of these the other day and they looked like pretty decent bows
          Start low#

Comment

My vote would be a Samick Sage also. Great starter bows, and I still shoot mine sometimes and take it with me on trips as a backup bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
              I have a decent 1st bow for trade in the classifieds
              http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=665412
              The OP was specifically looking for a recurve (or presumably some other traditional bow.)

CJM, also, consider that if you are just getting into traditional, you will want to start off with a manageable draw weight until you work up your form and strength. This is another reason to start out with a takedown as you can upgrade the limbs to a higher draw weight later on.

Comment

Another fan of the Samick Sage here. It is more capable than I am. That bow will shoot along side any other "higher end" bows all day long.

Comment

I will agree that the Sage is a decent bow. However it's not a high end bow. Will it shoot as consistently as you need? Yes. Is it a great value for what you get? I think so. Is it a hunt worthy bow? I killed my first trad deer with one. Start there. You won't regret it. There is one for sale on archery talk with extras right now.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by DRT; 10-26-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Budgets and bows are not a good mix because bows are like Lays potato chips. You will want another one. There is a lot to be said for the sammick bows. You can get a brand new one delivered for $140 and if you don't like it or want to move up you can sell it pretty easy for $90-100. There will be more money than that spent on arrows, a target, a glove or tab, and a few basic tools and supplies. Any way you cut it you are going to have $350 to $400 invested to try the sport. You might keep your eye out for a complete set up where someone is selling out. Just keep the draw weight reasonable at the begining. There are lots of 55 pound and up bows for sale for a reason. Don't think that you can make one work because chances are you will shoot it six or eight times and then quit.

Comment

For what its worth, we have sold several PSE mustangs out of our shop and haven't experienced a problem yet. Also Have seen several deer and a few hogs put down well with them.

Comment

1 more vote for Samick Sage.

Comment

To piggy back on this thread, what does one need to get started in trad. Say I bought a Sage, what else do I need? What kind of arrows? Glove? String?

Comment

It's a good idea to read the stickies on the trad forum. Some very qualified people have given detailed valuable information in them that will help you get started and grow.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                              To piggy back on this thread, what does one need to get started in trad. Say I bought a Sage, what else do I need? What kind of arrows? Glove? String?
                              Like Gary mentioned check the sticky threads at the top of the trad forum. It'll cover a lot of it. But, I'd upgrade to a FF string on the Sage because the factory string isn't that great. Get a bowstringer for sure, and a glove or tab. As far as arrows go, I shoot carbons and that's probably the easiest way to go especially just starting out. It's hard to say specifically which ones without knowing your DL and the poundage of your bow. As far as brands I like GT arrows and just bought some Black Eagles for my new longbow that I'm impressed with.

Comment

Working...
                              X