Question about fishing line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
    That is, can't use the same knots as mono, too waxy maybe. Another I found was after a big hook set. I seem to sink my line in the spool but, I know after a hook set I just feather it on the next cast. Try it for awhile and then make a judgment.
    Maybe you are using to small diameter braid?
    I used power pro 20# on one of my baitcasters and every hookset or hangup, it dug into the spool. I moved up to 30# and have not had any issues since.
    Still use the same rod/reel/line combo for bass and redfish.

Comment

Another power pro user. Two spinning rod's are going on 3rd season with same spool. I also use a mono backing to get more bang for the buck and a flouro or mono leader depending on type of fishing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

30# fins windtamer . . . not the longest casting but I like it's stiffness and durability.

Anyone who think braid is more frail then mono has the wrong combo of leaders or knots. Braid weight to weight is extraordinarily durable and with a flouro leader is a difference maker.

It does taking getting used to and a different style of fishing.

Comment

I didn't want to switch to braid since I had fished mono for most of my life in saltwater but after I started getting hammered by my son and fishing buddies I made the switch.

They had already done all the leg work and were sold on Suffix 832 and that's what I use.

There is no stretch in braid so hookups are solid on long casts and the stuff lasts forever, much more forgiving than mono.

I spend a lot of time on the water fishing and I have to say that switching to the Suffix 832 was one of my best decisions as far as fishing tackle goes.

Comment

So the fish that were broke off were some big bass as we were fishing a trophy bass lake, I have never had trouble before but this lake calls for something different. Thank you all for the advice I think i am going to get me some wind tamer and try it out.

Comment

Another question now is what color is the best for all around fishing?

Comment

I can tell you for sure, once you get used to fishing with braid, you'll think you're fishin' with a rubber-band if you ever try fishing with mono again. There's no stretch in braid, and it is so sensitive, you can feel every little thing your line or bait touches. When fishing live bait, you will be able to feel the bait wiggling. I would not want to ever fish with mono again.

Comment

Some of these replies really surprise me. I re-spool my Braid at least twice a year fishing 6-8 times a month. I use Mono backing and it saves some money. Years without re-spooling?? I like green...

Comment

You probably have a bad spool of mono or a guide on your rod is cracked causing the line to fail prematurely.

I personally hate braid. The only time I use it is for punching hydrilla mats or top water frog over lilly pads or grass flats.

Comment

Swap to braid...I use Fins personally. I have backed it with mono and tied directly to the spool. Both have worked fine for me. I do tie a 2-3' flouro leader on as well. It did take me a few trips to "learn" to fish braid, but I will never switch back to mono.

Comment

I use fins in saltwater regularly with no issues and no break off's.

Comment

As stated already, braided is steong and durable. I spoiled my wife's spincast with 300 yards of power pro 30# lb braid almost 7 years ago and haven't changed it since. I have receded the spoil once only. Have caught everything from a 50plus lb black drum to a 1/2 bass. Numerous reds along reef and bass among trees. Never lost a fish from busting off. I do use mono on every other reel I have though(13). I like the casting of mono compared to braid but a properly set real will cast both about as good. I use 12lb Berkeley big game mono exclusively. Caught some perch on it this past weekend have calso caught by biggest fish ever on it. 81lb black drum. Just set your drag properly according to the Turing and you'll do just fine. We catch a lot of 5-8 bass on 8 lb mono and it hella fun. Drag is set for it and it's a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            I can tell you for sure, once you get used to fishing with braid, you'll think you're fishin' with a rubber-band if you ever try fishing with mono again. There's no stretch in braid, and it is so sensitive, you can feel every little thing your line or bait touches. When fishing live bait, you will be able to feel the bait wiggling. I would not want to ever fish with mono again.
                            I just re-spooled my main real with mono instead of putting braid on it again. I am just going to strip it all off now because that is exactly what it feels like. You really feel it when you try to set the hook with 60' of line out.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice I am going to give braid a go.

Comment

Heres a trick I use. Might not suit your needs but here it is. We target reds in the ULM with spinning tackle.I take a 300 yd spool of braid and cut it into four 75yd lengths. Put one length on a reel. Nail knot to mono and full the reel up. Now take all the line off the reel, reverse it and spool it back up with the mono for backing. Makes a package of braid go a long way and we have never got into the mono with a fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X