No announcement yet.

Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let some guys run dogs on my place once a year for a spring tournament. That is it, if you own the place, gotta think about liability if one of them gets hurt or something torn up. Plus on 340 acres with 200 acres of woods, it is bedding area for deer and I don't want them to find a new bedroom.

Comment

Will definitely help hog control, and in my experience it does not affect the deer hunting.

Comment

Our biologist said that deer are more worried about the pigs, than dogs. We decided to let people run their dogs to help put pressure on the pigs

Comment

Originally posted by MTaylor View Post
          Will not affect your deer what so ever...if they are good dogs. Can control the hog population if they catch and kill and the other hogs will leave your lease if they put enough pressure on them. I would not worry about it at all.
          That's the only problem I've had. According to the dogger, all their "dogs are good". And you have to find out the hard way if they're not.

Comment

We run dogs all year, even during deer season. I'll co-ordinate with the ranch, if they have hunters in the pasture we want to hunt hogs, we'll wait until about 9 AM when they are heading back to camp and turn the dogs out then. We'll run the dogs all across the ranch, past feeders, past blinds, etc. and we'll be out by about 2 PM. Hunters come back out about 3:30 and when the feeders go off at 5 PM, the deer appear.
            My dogs don't give two hoots about a deer, only thing they want to run are pigs. It's a working cattle ranch, dog's don't mess with the cows either.
            Do we control the hog population with dogs on the ranch? Answer is NO, but it's a fun hobby. What they use to control the population is a helicopter. They'll go up about four times every February and slay the hogs. That works.

And everybody runs dogs in south Texas, where are the deer going to run to exactly?
            Last edited by bushwacker361; 03-31-2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RACK View Post
              Hog dogs will never Ever put even a small dent on the hog population. Most doggers I know do it for sport and practice for their dog training. They could care less about your deer , feeding program, hunting area ,etc. The worst thing in the world you can do for a deer place is put dogs on it and that's just a fact. The deer will flat out leave the area as the dog pressure increases. Most will never come back if they have cover ,browse,and water elsewhere.
              Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. We've got a pretty bad hog problem on my place in Art, and I've found that dogs are the BEST way to keep them on the move. My buddies dogs are trash broke and won't mess with deer or livestock. I'm going to fill protein feeders and chase hogs this weekend

Comment

I can see this thread going the way of the "pig poison" threads, way to much emotion attached to the argument. Fact of it is dogs will scare the deer away, plus rabbits, turkey, butterflies, cows, sheep, Javelinas, and roadrunners, but they'll only go as far as necessary to escape the threat. If the dogs are trash broke they won't be a problem. The only exception I would throw in would be if does are dropping fawns, they probably wouldn't care to have dogs out stirring things up.

Comment

I have no emotion one way or another. Every man has a right to his opinion and I respect that. I can only speak for me and my situation. And I sure wish I could run those d%#m javelina off by just running the dogs. Nothing runs those things off. As far as that whole list of birds and animals listed, again, on my place, the dogs, if we can run them enough will do as Iceman states, we will keep them on the move. The rest of those critters are still there, not sure how a dog could run a roadrunner out of the country?
                  They go up in a helicopter, buzz the landscape all day, blasting 400 rounds off killing pigs, leaving carcasses scattered all over the place, while doing a deer count, and the next day a repeat. Four days of aerial shooting, hundreds of hogs killed, and deer still in the same areas as they were the day before.
                  A biologist once told us a deer will live and die within 500 yards of where it was born. I have no idea if that is truth or not, but deer are not nomadic like hogs are. Hogs migrate depending on water and food. Deer are localized, trail cameras prove that. Sure, bucks will roam during the rut looking for does, but trail camera pictures of the same deer coming into the feeder, every day, day in and day out. It's why people name them, they see their picture so much, or at least I do.
                  Again, I have no emotion as I type this, not mad or upset, just stating what I know to take place on the land that I hunt.
                  I have a feeling if that poison proves to work, the ranch will be giving it a try, but I don't know, it is a working cattle ranch and I'm not sure they are willing to take that chance?
                  just emotionless me....

Comment

This place isnt by any means typical hill country deer . It is 85 percent crop land with very little cover throughout the entire place. Most of the cover is small 40 yard across river bottom and a few dry creek thickets in cattle pastures. The deer surveys for the past 2 years have averaged 25 to 30 deer total. The surrounding areas have much larger tracts of woodlands. These deer are on high alert 24 7 and very hard to even see them under a feeder with zero preasure on them. We have seen about 7 pigs in 2 years. I can tell ya that when the cow guy rotates his cattle into an area where the deer have been for 6 months prior simply just disapper the day he turns them out . I also had deer patterned every day in another area from june til October 1st when 4 stray hounds showed up for about a week prior and those deer have yet to return ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

As a land owner there is no way it's happening on my place. If your looking to control your hog population there are MUCH more efficient and productive methods. Not a fan of hog dogging what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bushwacker361 View Post
                        We run dogs all year, even during deer season. I'll co-ordinate with the ranch, if they have hunters in the pasture we want to hunt hogs, we'll wait until about 9 AM when they are heading back to camp and turn the dogs out then. We'll run the dogs all across the ranch, past feeders, past blinds, etc. and we'll be out by about 2 PM. Hunters come back out about 3:30 and when the feeders go off at 5 PM, the deer appear.
                        My dogs don't give two hoots about a deer, only thing they want to run are pigs. It's a working cattle ranch, dog's don't mess with the cows either.
                        Do we control the hog population with dogs on the ranch? Answer is NO, but it's a fun hobby. What they use to control the population is a helicopter. They'll go up about four times every February and slay the hogs. That works.

And everybody runs dogs in south Texas, where are the deer going to run to exactly?
                        X2........ a buddy of mine has a lease and we run the hell out of the dogs in the off season usually stop a month before bow season. Haven't seen it affect his deer hunting yet and been doing it for about 5 years.

Comment

Dogs running deer off a property is a BS wives tale. Of course they get spooked, but they dont leave. They get spooked by your truck, filling feeders, walking to your stand, winding your fart in the stand, etc. They dont leave. Deer getting spooked is Temporary.

Hogs are Nomadic and will leave if there is pressure from dogs. Deer will get spooked but not leave their pocket. They like their pocket, its all they know. They get spooked and chased by predators regularly, they still like their pocket.

If dogs really run deer off a property, then tell me how a hunt club works in states where they can run deer dogs? They have leases just like we have here, but they run dogs on deer all season. They are specifically targeting DEER and they dont leave. They are like big rabbits, they only run as far as they need to, to escape the immediate threat. Then they go about their business.

Comment

If it just happened you'll be fine.
                            It took 2 months for me to see a deer/hog return on one property.

Comment

We ran dogs all during last deer season. Has zero negative effect. Let your farmer run the dogs. The more hogs that are gone, the higher tonnage of whatever he farms, the more food for your deer without you spending a dime or breaking a sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                                Dogs running deer off a property is a BS wives tale. Of course they get spooked, but they dont leave. They get spooked by your truck, filling feeders, walking to your stand, winding your fart in the stand, etc. They dont leave. Deer getting spooked is Temporary.

Hogs are Nomadic and will leave if there is pressure from dogs. Deer will get spooked but not leave their pocket. They like their pocket, its all they know. They get spooked and chased by predators regularly, they still like their pocket.

If dogs really run deer off a property, then tell me how a hunt club works in states where they can run deer dogs? They have leases just like we have here, but they run dogs on deer all season. They are specifically targeting DEER and they dont leave. They are like big rabbits, they only run as far as they need to, to escape the immediate threat. Then they go about their business.
                                X2.

I grew up running walkers for deer and there were many mornings where we'd jump the same deer in the same place that we had the day before.

If deer ran off and left every time something chased/spooked them, NOONE would be able to track a certain buck for 3 or 4 years....

Comment

Working...
                                X