No announcement yet.

Fall Food Plots...what you planting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100#/acre of Oats with 50#/acre of Iron & Clay cowpeas (if I can still get them locally). Peas make a great archery season draw for bucks and keep the pressure off the oats at first. If can't get I&C I will use pinto beans instead. Later in Oct/Nov I will overseed with Diakon Radish.

Comment

I worked up ours last weekend. 3 acre, a new 4 acre, and a 10 acre at the house. Not sure what we're going to do at camp, yet.

I use wheat, clover, and turnips. I noticed a ton of clover already sprouting after I hit the new plot with the disc so I'm not sure I'll plant it. Probably going to plant this weekend, pending forecast.

Comment

I plant cheap feed store wheat and oats. I'll probably plant in a couple weeks. Still a little moist down here on the coast

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          I had great luck with the turnips growing last year. They were huge haha! But I walked around and a deer or hog did not touch any part of them. Even after a freeze. And I mowed them down once to promote new growth.

I think I am moving on from them

I filled up a truck bed with turnips and took them to my local church. The people loved them. The deer never touched them.

Comment

Buckforage oats n brassica mix

Comment

Oats and that is it.

Comment

Austrian winter pea, oats, crimson clover

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  I filled up a truck bed with turnips and took them to my local church. The people loved them. The deer never touched them.
                  LOL I gave my family some monster ones last year also bc deer wouldn't touch them

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                    Have you used the Turner Fall Deer Mix before? I was considering using it this year.
                    Yes sir! Used it for 10-12 years. Only thing I add is more turnips. It's worked great for us. Plus Turners is only 30 miles North of me in Breckinridge.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                      Yes sir! Used it for 10-12 years. Only thing I add is more turnips. It's worked great for us. Plus Turners is only 30 miles North of me in Breckinridge.
                      How do you prepare the soil? I sprayed my plots with glyphosate 3 weeks ago. I plan to till it and plant with a grain drill. I also have a 3 pt spreader but I think the drill will work better.

Comment

One question I have is the rye that will be in the mix I receive. I wanted to use elbon rye in my original mix but am unsure if the rye in this mix is elbon or what else it could be. For the money do y'all think it's worth a shot as it will only be around 20% of the content anyway?i can do a lot more acerage for cheap and planned on doing two trial areas with just buck forage oats and Austrian peas to account for the difference in growth, grazing and preference for the deer.

Comment

Fall mix

Comment

I broadcast mine and it works fine, but a grain drill is certainly more efficient. I shredded and disked everything this weekend. When it's time to plant, I'll run the disk back over it lightly, just to enough to turn the top couple of inches over. Broadcast, fertilize, then drag/smooth it over. Then pray for rain. We do 200 lbs. to the acre. A guy in Deleon mixes my fertilizer based upon what the soil analysis says we need.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                              How do you prepare the soil? I sprayed my plots with glyphosate 3 weeks ago. I plan to till it and plant with a grain drill. I also have a 3 pt spreader but I think the drill will work better.
                              Disking disturbs the soil. If you already sprayed and have a no till drill then use that. Its the best method and keeps the soil intact and less weeds.

Almost a no brainer to me

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                              One question I have is the rye that will be in the mix I receive. I wanted to use elbon rye in my original mix but am unsure if the rye in this mix is elbon or what else it could be. For the money do y'all think it's worth a shot as it will only be around 20% of the content anyway?i can do a lot more acerage for cheap and planned on doing two trial areas with just buck forage oats and Austrian peas to account for the difference in growth, grazing and preference for the deer.
                              I would stay away from any rye besides Elbon

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                I had great luck with the turnips growing last year. They were huge haha! But I walked around and a deer or hog did not touch any part of them. Even after a freeze. And I mowed them down once to promote new growth.

I think I am moving on from them
                                I have never had the deer eat them when I plant them at my house!

Comment

Working...
                                X