Cooking a whole piglet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
    If you can get a big pot of water, boil and scrape them. Seems if we smoke them skin on they tend to hold flavor and don't dry out at much from the few I've seen done. Then we just kinda peel the skin back and serve when it's done and rested for a bit.
    This!!!and I like a pig 20 pounds to 50 pounds...anything smaller than 20 pounds is lacking flavor and fat! In wild pigs!!!imo

Comment

I beer canned one on the grill one time. Easy and turned out pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beer can pig.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	24481707

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
        I beer canned one on the grill one time. Easy and turned out pretty good.

[ATTACH]837410[/ATTACH]
        Can you give a little more detail on this please sir?

Comment

Don't take off the skin. Shave it and get hair off. Makes huge difference in succulenteness

Comment

Sweet baby rays, cavenders Greek seasoning, and coopers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rather-b-fishin View Post
              Can you give a little more detail on this please sir?
              It was five years ago. Here is the description I put on my Facebook photo of it at the time it was happening...

I love beer can chicken, so I decided to try it with the other white meat. I arrowed a very small pig a week ago (see Slick Trick hole!) and kept it whole. Today I sprinkled it with Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning and draped it over a couple open cans of Coors Light. I cooked it on the lowest grill setting for 55 minutes. It had a wonderful flavor, but I'm not sure it was worth the trouble of keeping the pig whole.
              As with beer can chicken, the beer is less about beer flavor than just keeping the meat moist. Most of the added flavor comes from whatever seasonings you put on it, not from the beer necessarily. It might be a good idea to rub a thin layer of olive oil over it to help the seasoning to stick and seal in the juices even that much more. But I don't think I used olive oil on this one.

Comment

Thanks Fajkus! We have a 55 gallon drum at the farm where we are overrun with pigs.

Navy Chief - I was thinking 50-75 pounds would be ideal and would fit in a 24" dia. smoker. (Wish I had a 30").

Comment

I was going to hijack this thread, but I guess I'll start a new one...very interested in removing the hair (at least once) to see for myself if it is worth it.

Comment

Looks really good!

Comment

I'm cooking one as well!

Comment

Great info and ideas on different techniques for small pigs! Makes me want to make a Cajun Microwave.

Comment

If you wish to remove the hair, a dunk in a big enough container of hot (160 degree) not boiling water until the hair starts to slip is all you need. Hair rolls right off with finger pressure or scraping with a pretty dull knife. Gut afterward, you don't want to get all that nasty water inside the body cavity. Done right, the pig comes out pretty and clean. Leave it in the water too long, or too hot, and set the hair and then you just have to sharpen the knife and shave him. I have scraped literally thousands of them this way. High school job was in a slaughterhouse.

Comment

Did this weekend . had a craw fish boil boiled skinned piglet 2 hours in craw fish water. put on ice in foil next morn build mesquite fire in grill put pig on grill with cover on 30 min out standing

Comment

Oh yeah!!

Comment

Time for me to start shooting the little ones

Comment

Working...
                                X