No announcement yet.

Trapping 2016 - 2017 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myself, I set about 9" back from the attractor and offset about 3" to one side, which side depends on the most logical approach direction. Study those tracks in the dirt, try to decipher where the coyote came from, where it stopped to look things over, and what side it approached the from. I've noticed that the more unnatural anything around the set looks, the more paranoid coyotes are, even if they don't suspect much they'll circle a set a time or two, if to much looks out of place they'll just go on by, so you did enough to get them to investigate, I believe you just need to get the pan in his approach lane. Now Fergeris he's caught enough of them they hang around his sets because they think they smell one of their cousins. Hey Eric

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
      Myself, I set about 9" back from the attractor and offset about 3" to one side, which side depends on the most logical approach direction. Study those tracks in the dirt, try to decipher where the coyote came from, where it stopped to look things over, and what side it approached the from. I've noticed that the more unnatural anything around the set looks, the more paranoid coyotes are, even if they don't suspect much they'll circle a set a time or two, if to much looks out of place they'll just go on by, so you did enough to get them to investigate, I believe you just need to get the pan in his approach lane. Now Fergeris he's caught enough of them they hang around his sets because they think they smell one of their cousins. Hey Eric
      Lol I'm trapping in the sand this year. I'm learning a lot watching tracks this year but. I still catch alot this way I've been doing it they may get by one day but not the next hahha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I get to go to a ranch near Cotulla in late February. Will the fur be way passed prime by then?

Comment

I'm excited to get into trapping. Our lease has lots of coyotes and bobcats, and of course coons. I've bought a dozen snares and half dozen traps with some lure and scent bait, already have 4 dogproofs for coons. Next weekend is 4 day weekend for me and I'm going to take my grandson and see what we can get trapped. We can both learn at the same time. Good times! (if my wife doesn't kill me for ordering all this stuff - naw, I'll blame it on the grandson!)

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
            I get to go to a ranch near Cotulla in late February. Will the fur be way passed prime by then?
            not familiar with fur that far south but should be prime as it's going to get. With the current fur prices I wouldn't expect much though, fur from the northern part of the country is not all that great, that far south probably be hard to sell other than the occasional numbero uno primo that shows up just about anywhere. Cats may do better though. Be a good oppurtunity to inspect the fur, (buyers judge the short dense underfur) and learn what it looks like, then when you get the oppurtunity compare it to the fur from animals further north.

Comment

Fur prices aren't good at all right now. I'm not evening skinning anything I'm just trapping for predator control

Comment

I'm taking a break right now. We caught 3 in the first week, then nothing for 3 weeks. Maybe they gut smart.

Comment

Do I need to skin and get the fur on ice ASAP to keep it from slipping?

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    I'm taking a break right now. We caught 3 in the first week, then nothing for 3 weeks. Maybe they gut smart.
                    Right after I posted this, I checked the traps and one was marked by a coyote. So it's back on.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                      Do I need to skin and get the fur on ice ASAP to keep it from slipping?
                      That will depend on how your going to sell them and what the buyer prefers/requires.
                      Check the interweb for fur handling techniques, most want them stretched and dried.

Comment

Critters are moving with the cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice sir

Comment

Thanks! Fun day!

Comment

I bet it was looks like a blast.

Comment

Only one cat and two reds today. Other two cats were yesterday and day before. Still fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X