Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Successful Axis Hunt at Double Arrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Successful Axis Hunt at Double Arrow!

I was finally able to seal the deal on a great axis buck. This was my first axis I've ever taken and I was super pumped!!

I hunted with Curtis at Double Arrow Bowhunting in Harwood last May, and just never got the axis to cooperate for a shot opportunity. He was gracious enough to let me re-book this Spring to try my luck again. The hunt started Friday and I did see some great axis just never within bow range. They didn't seem to want the corn at all; they were after the fresh grass and clover growth around the ranch. The high Friday was a steamy 87 that afternoon. Overnight, the temperature dropped, rained, and the wind starting howling. The high Saturday hovered around 47-49 with a 20-30 mph wind. Neither of us saw any axis at all Saturday morning. We both decided that the axis were just not going to cooperate again, with them not wanting to come into a feeder and with the wind howling like it was, the bow just wasn't going to be able to get it done. Luckily I had brought my rifle as a backup just for something like this.

Curtis decided to sit with me in the blind Saturday afternoon, just in case we needed to make a change to another location in a hurry to catch up with them. From 1:00 - 4:45 we saw very little movement except for the scimitar oryx moving through the mesquite and a few black buck. The wind was absolutely terrible all day long, not to mention the wind chill is was created with 47 degree temps. Around 5:00 we noticed the blackbuck and oryx started piling into the field behind us, feeding on the grass and clover. About 5 minutes later Curtis just happened to glance back out and the axis were coming out of the creek bottom where they had been "holed" up in all day due to the wind. There was no shot at all from the blind we were in, so we bailed out to attempt a spot and stalk to where I could get a clean shot. I made it to the first good cover spot out of the blind and got set up. By the time we spotted the mature buck and I get on him I didn't have a clear shot due to limbs and brush in front of me. They were all steadily coming out of the creek bottom, walking with a purpose out into the field. We make a move again to the last good cover, trying not to get spotted by the two dozen plus, black buck eyes that were in the field also. I get my gun set up on the shooting sticks and confirm I'm on the right one. After, a couple of the black buck cleared him I squeezed one off. He hunched over and I could immediately tell it was good shot. I bolted another round in, but he had already started to wobble...then down he goes.

I was pumped and then the excitement shakes started! I didn't realize how big he really was until we got up to him. Body wise he was a toad. Curtis estimated at least 280 pounds. His entire chest area was so big, his front legs looked like they were just short stumps. He measured a little over 35" on one side and a little over 34" on the other. Add that to he had also just started shedding his velvet over the past week, and I think he looked awesome. I've already dropped him off at my taxi and can't wait to get him back!

If you're looking for a good hunt with some great animals, Curtis will do everything he can to help you have a successful hunt. It might have taken two trips to make it happen, but that just makes it that much sweeter. I really wanted to get it done with my bow, but with what was stacked against us it just wasn't going to happen this weekend. Maybe next time!
    Attached Files

Congrats!!!!!

Comment

congrats - Curtis has a great operation - I have had the opportunity to MISS 3 axis at his place. One of these days I will justify the funds and go back after another shot

Comment

Good one! Congrats!

Comment

That is a beast of a Axis! Congrats! You can make a bed spread cover from that hide
          Quite a bit of good eating there

Comment

Nice one congrats

Comment

Well done! I got my black buck there.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Wow that coat is beautiful!

Comment

That's a great axis buck, congrats!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      That is a beast of a Axis! Congrats! You can make a bed spread cover from that hide
                      Quite a bit of good eating there
                      No doubt, he was definitely big enough! I really wanted to get the entire hide done, but I couldn't go without a shoulder mount of this guy! I had to choose

Comment

congrats!!

Comment

Dang that's a big one! Congrats

Comment

Man, that is a beautiful healthy (well, he was healthy 'fore you kilt 'im) animal!! Great rack and flawless coat!
                            Congratulation on a great trophy!

Comment

Nice one! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X