Tbot arrow rest re-clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Van/TX View Post
    So, what is considered an elevated rest? You say that the shelf can be built up. Built up with what and in what configuration. Can it be built up with a stick on feather rest? Makes no difference to me but it may to others...Van

also X3
    I hope to have more information Monday or Tuesday. Then I will post what I have learned

Comment

What ever rule they want to have at what ever shoot they have suits me....best most fun shoots in the state

Comment

OK, should but can't stay out of this one. I'm sure I will be misunderstood and get flogged like I did about a comment I put on here about a Daas recurve, but here goes. Rules are rules, so therefore they should be in place and understanable as well as enforced from the time they are put in place with no complacity. That way a person does know up front what to expect. We must keep in mind that if we give here or there to the whims of those that are never satisfied that we will wind up having new classes upon classes which will add many more confuseing rules. Bottom line TO ME is that trad archery is about one's OWN ability to take stick and string and become proficent with THEIR ability, not a bunch of add on crap to try an take shortcuts. I know people are tired of me harping on the TLC, there is not a shoot that is more discriminateing than it, and from what I have heard, it all depends on how hard they want your bow to fit the jig as to whether it is "legal" or not, as well as the 3 finger under thing which they did finally change. I personally don't care if somebody has a stick-on, flipper, dipper whatever rest. I don't care if you shoot 3 under or 4 over, I like wood over metal. I would like to win but it is not necessary. If my style of shooting and equipment isn't legal, I will go someplace where it is. My main reason for doing these shoots is to be with wonderful people,friends,future friends of ALL ages and see youngsters learning how to shoot. I love visiting with the venders and seeing their beautiful works. All this is the high point for me, not the equipment. TBOT is a good organization as well as one of the cheapest you will ever be a member of, and yes it is easy to sit back and chunk rocks when it is not your time being volunteered to keep it up and running. I am very sorry this situation has come up because it will only make some of the newer folks wonder what they have gotten into. Hopefully there will be a satisfactory outcome for most if not all.

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
          Unfortunately most clubs are run by people who volunteer their time and not by business majors.. Even the NFAA has similar problem with rule clarification and they are a much larger and older organization.. One of the major problems in any club is trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing almost no one..

I agree a well written and concise set of rules consistently enforced is always best, but I have rarely seen a club staffed by volunteers that could achieve that.. By the very nature it isn’t usually gonna happen.

I just joined TBoT this past week not because I’ll compete that often but because I support their efforts to promote Traditional Archery in Texas. I’m not sure what the solution is and definitely can’t predict the outcome of this rule issue but in the end a solution will appear.
          Javi, that's a pretty good post.

We do need to remember TBoT is a bowhunting club run by Bowhunters trying to run a target shoot.....

I was at a meeting where a vote was taken a couple of years ago. I didn't think the elevated part got voted out, just the mechanical part. Put a seal skin rest on the shelf this elevates and it flexes. The Hoyt rest does the same. But the flipper and/or spring button move by mechanical means, this is what I remember getting voted out. It was a compromise. Was it a good one, probably not, but where do you draw that line?

If it were my call alone I'd just make another class for elevated above the shelf rests.

Comment

As for me and my family,
            we support traditional bowhunters of texas.
            There rules and reg's....
            We support all the people that give their time away from
            family, friends, and hunting,
            i find it funny that "people" over the years will bring negitive post's not only to the green screen but other bowhunting web based chat line and never use the t.b.o.t. Page,
            we as archers should support not degrade, be positive not negitive, and be proud of a long standing organization like t.b.o.t.

Jeff murray

Comment

The TBOT shoots are the funnest shoots I have attended. However, I am still confused....are the rules written down somewhere? If so, where? I would like to read them.

The rest issue doesn't impact me because I shoot off the shelf but I think a big part of the frustration being raised in this thread is that people don't know where to go to read the rules. I think everyone appreciates the efforts the TBOT officers and directors put in...I know I do.

Listing the rules on the TBOT website would solve alot of problems.

Comment

I'm going to hi-jack Bud's thread and ask for a list of suggestions to help TBoT better serve their members/you. Above suggestions are noted and recorded.

Perfect timing, the next EC meeting and elections are at the Hill Country Shoot. I think the meeting is Friday evening before the shoot. Lets make the best of these latest discussions and give the EC some helpful guidance. The goal is to make it work for everyone.
                Last edited by Thumper; 03-18-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Sorry but I think I found the rules on the TBOT website which state:

"Traditional Archery" as defined by this organization, incorporates forms, tyles and preferences from the primitive archer use of natural materials to hose utilizing the latest of manmade products however, the resulting accoutrement must meet the following criteria:

1. No moving parts. When assembled, the working bow is to be one solid piece.

2. No sights. This includes marking on the bow or string.

3. Arrows are to be no less than 6 inches shorter than the draw length of the archer using the bow. (e.g., to allow Turkish, siper-type overdraws but disallow vertical crossbows.)

4. Release shall be accomplished with the digits of the drawing hand.
                  In the event a participant is unable to meet the guidelines as specified but it is felt the style meets the intent and purpose of this organization, they an submit appeal for acceptance to the Executive Council (EC). The EC shall than decide the issue."

I don't see anything about specifically about rests. If the TBOT membership really does desire to disallow any kind of elevated rest (not saying they do) , should you just add a number 5 which says "No elevated rest -- all arrows must be shot off the shelf"

Comment

I think everyone here supports tbot and I really don't think anyone even has a problem with the rule. This issue doesn't change my setup but I can feel for those who are gonna be effected by it, and the only people this thread would even interest are those who attend, plan to attend and/or support Tbot and it's shoots. Issues like these are in every form of competition and this is nothing more the a meeting of supporting members or participants discussing the issue, it's untimely but progress

I do feel for the guys who have been practicing with a illegal rest who have plans for vanderpool but hope everyone makes it there

Good luck guys

John

Comment

Originally posted by paulvrana View Post
                      The TBOT shoots are the funnest shoots I have attended. However, I am still confused....are the rules written down somewhere? If so, where? I would like to read them.

The rest issue doesn't impact me because I shoot off the shelf but I think a big part of the frustration being raised in this thread is that people don't know where to go to read the rules. I think everyone appreciates the efforts the TBOT officers and directors put in...I know I do.

Listing the rules on the TBOT website would solve alot of problems.
                      A perfect example right here guys...him and Gene BOTH shoot off the shelf and are comsistently taking the top 2 places in just about every shoot
                      Just to prove theyre both a couple of well disciplined monkeys when it comes to pulling that string

Comment

Equipment Guidelines

"Traditional Archery" as defined by this organization, incorporates forms, styles and preferences from the primitive archer use of natural materials to those utilizing the latest of manmade products however, the resulting accoutrement must meet the following criteria:

1. No moving parts. When assembled, the working bow is to be one solid piece.

2. No sights. This includes marking on the bow or string.

3. Arrows are to be no less than 6 inches shorter than the draw length of the archer using the bow. (e.g., to allow Turkish, sniper-type overdraws but disallows vertical crossbows.)

4. Release shall be accomplished with the digits of the drawing hand.

In the event a participant is unable to meet the guidelines as specified but it is felt the style meets the intent and purpose of this organization, they an submit appeal for acceptance to the Executive Council (EC). The EC shall than decide the issue.
                        Classes
                        Seniors—Over 55
                        Primitive — Self Bow
                        Men's Recurve Open — carbon or aluminum arrows
                        Men's Recurve Wood — wood arrows only
                        Men's Longbow Open — carbon or aluminum arrows
                        Men's Longbow Wood — wood arrows only
                        Ladies Recurve Open — carbon or aluminum arrows
                        Ladies Recurve Wood — wood arrows only
                        Ladies Longbow Open - carbon or aluminum arrows
                        Ladies Longbow Wood - wood arrows only
                        Boy's Recurve (15-17) — any arrows
                        Boy's Longbow (15-17) — any arrows
                        Girls (15-17) — Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
                        Boy's Recurve (12-14) – any arrows
                        Boy's Longbow (12-14) – any arrows
                        Girls (12-14) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
                        Cubs (9-11) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
                        Mini Cubs (8 and under) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows

Having returned to traditional archery in an attempt to simplify my archery by removing all the gadgetry from my bow, I would just as soon see the rules changed to disallow all mechanical rests (if it has moving parts, it is mechanical) from competition.

But I also realize that such a rule is impractical for Traditional BOWHUNTERS of Texas, an organization first and foremost about hunting and the promotion of hunting with stick and string.

Probably the easiest solution is to add another class to each age/sex recurve bracket for mechanical rests. After all it is already recognized that carbon and aluminum arrows are superior in competition to wooden shafts so why not recognize that mechanical rests are superior to shooting off the shelf.

Or perhaps simply do away with the concept of tournament and make the shoots about fun, camaraderie and have events based on shooting skill, not equipment.

Comment

Just shoot off the shelf with your fingers. Have atleast three people in your group at all times, never shoot with the same group every round. Never keep score yourself, let someone else do it if possible. Three people in a group should never be yourself, your buddy and his non shooting spouse who is keeping score for you. Do these things and there will never be a question as to what you or how you shot the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                            Just shoot off the shelf with your fingers. Have atleast three people in your group at all times, never shoot with the same group every round. Never keep score yourself, let someone else do it if possible. Three people in a group should never be yourself, your buddy and his non shooting spouse who is keeping score for you. Do these things and there will never be a question as to what you or how you shot the tournament.
                            Hard to do with California starts..

I like blind draw groupings, double scoring and shotgun starts myself..

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                              Hard to do with California starts..

I like blind draw groupings, double scoring and shotgun starts myself..
                              I have never had a problem making it work. I also like blind grouping and shotgun starts. I love the TSLB system of grouping. I always find it amusing the number of people that are "super shooters'' at all the local club shoots but never seem to place at the TSLB shoot. It is amazing how busting up a group can change ones score. Just saying...

Comment

Adding classes adds expense and puts an extra work load on already overworked people. It seems like the only way to satisfy everyone, tho. I strongly agree about changing the people you shoot with. If you shoot with the same people every time and you shoot high scores there will almost always be uncharitable talk. I know several people that this has happened to. Arvin and I usually only shoot 1 or 2 rounds together. If new classes are added expect shoot fees to increase. They will have to.

Comment

Working...
                                X