Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Board Bow...

...Is almost finished.
    Thank you Sam Harper for my new addiction. This experience has been very cool, even though I have had moments of terror, frustration, and the occasional, "Heck, I just don't know WHAT to do." I look forward to building more while learning from my mistakes.
    I still have to coat it but then it's on to the next one.

Questions:
    I'm getting my hand slapped by the string. I figure there is nothing I can do about it but wear a glove, right?

The serving on the string is so thick that my nocks stay on the string when I shoot. Do the make larger nocks and how do I know which nocks are the right ones?

Hope to move up to osage long bows and maybe even recurves one day.
    What have you done, poorfolkbows!!!??

Congratulations! Where are the pics?

If the string is slapping your hand, it's probably because your brace height is too low. Put your fist on the handle and stick your thumb up. The string should just touch the tip of your thumb, or be maybe a half inch above your thumb. Also, wear an arm guard.

You can fix your nocks in one of two ways. Either file the inside of your nocks with a fingernail file, or use less strands in your string. I use 14 strands in most of my strings--two bundles of 7 strands each. I use that for bow anywhere from 40 to 55 lbs. I use b 50 dacron. I don't know what to use for other types of strings.

Or, you could use different nocks. Or you could heat your nocks up in hot water and spread them open a little more.

Comment

I don't know how to make strings so I bought this one from 3rivers. Guess I'm just gonna have to giver her some more twists.
      No pics, Sam, figured everyone has seen these bows before, and besides, it's not finished yet.
      Thank you so much, Sam.

Comment

pics when your finished man!!! we wanna see and believe!! lol

Comment

Umm, according to TBH rules, if you don't post pics, then we can't believe you even made a bow!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Umm, according to TBH rules, if you don't post pics, then we can't believe you even made a bow!

Bisch
            3 offenses and your in banned camp for 3 weeks..... Just saying

Comment

"Pics or it didn't happen," Bisch?
              I'll try and post some, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by STATON View Post
                "Pics or it didn't happen," Bisch?
                I'll try and post some, guys.
                I was just razzing you a bit cause I want to see pics of your home made bow!

Bisch

Comment

I know, brotha but I am having troubles loading them even in the right size...

Comment

AHHH! Very strange way to load pics but I figured it out.
                    I had to take off too much wood on limb due to hinges so it isn't a very good bow but I LOVED carving the handle. Don't have any pics at full draw. Sorry
                    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! Glad you got the pics figured out.... Keep at it every bow will teach you something!!!

Comment

Looks good. I made my first one about a year ago and my second one about a month later. I'm about to get back at it now that life and work are settling down.

Comment

Thank you so much guys!
                          I think the next one will be far better and it's because of people like all of you that all of these skills persist.

Comment

Nice work! Is that real snakeskin?

Bidch

Comment

Nope it's the fake stuff after the drywall tape and glue Sam suggested.
                              Learned something there too: Don't put on the fakeskin until you are through tillering because it shreds threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X