Terrible Truck Buying Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible Truck Buying Experience

So I am not one to go on a online rant about a poor experience I have at a place of business. Yet I feel as though not sharing my story here and trying to save everyone I can from doing business with Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake would be a true atrocity to the human race. The story is fairly long but the gist of it is that Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake made a verbal agreement with me on the price of a used truck then completely changed the price upon my arrival there. They would not agree to honor the agreed upon price. I am not complaining about the prices of their vehicles or trying to spread rumors. I am only stating the facts surrounding a event that recently happened to me. I believe that dishonest businesses like this should not be allowed to operate. I know that my one voice is small and insignificant, but if I can keep at least one person from going through the horror story that is Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake I would feel a little better about it. Thank you for hearing my woes and I would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience with this dealership or any others so I know which ones to avoid in my vehicle search. Needless to say, if Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake was the only place on earth selling vehicles I would gladly ride a horse.

And here is a summarized version of my deceitful experience with Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake.

I recently sent an email to Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake about a used truck that I was interested in. A salesman with the dealership called me about 10 minutes after I sent the email. After talking to him for a while about the truck I told him that I was interested in it. The salesman asked me when I could come look at it and I explained to him that I was not going to take off of work and make the almost 2 hour trip just to come look at a truck. I told him that I would make a cash offer and come pick the truck up in a couple of days. He asked me what my offer was, I told him, and he said, “We can make that deal, come pick it up.” Please note that my offer was not utterly ridiculous, yes it was a good deal but nothing totally unbelievable. I did my research and offered what I thought was a good deal price, the salesman did not have to accept it if he didn’t want to.
    So I drove to the dealership a couple of days later and the salesman I spoke with was off. I test drove the truck and told his partner to get the paperwork ready. The paper work he brought me was a far greater price than we had agreed upon. I explained to him that the other salesman and I had come to a previous agreement, he wrote down the deal we had agreed on and took it to his managers. Long story short, after about 2 hours of arguing back and forth they explained to me that they would not honor their salesman’s agreement. They did not argue that he made the agreement, they just said that they would not honor it. I insisted multiple times that they call to salesman to verify the offer but they refused to do so. I spoke with a few managers, all of which said Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake would not honor their agreement.
    I walked to the front desk and asked to speak with the GM. After waiting for an hour I decided to leave and call him. I called the GM, no answer so I left a voicemail. I decided to send him an email the following day. Just to add, during my whole time at the dealership and communicating with everyone involved I never raised my voice, used any profane language, or was unprofessional in any way. I remained very calm and just explained to them why I disagreed with what they were doing. The GM called me back after a day and asked me to give him the exact date, time, and phone number of when this salesman and I made the agreement. He told me that they record all of the phone calls and he would listen to the call and resolve the issue. I gladly gave him all of the information. The GM texted me the following day to inform me that Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake would not sell the vehicle for the price that their employee agree to. They gave no reason why, they just said that Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake would not honor their deal

Sounds like a salesman stepped outta his bounds. You'd think that a salesmans word would be worth something but fact is most of these dealerships don't allow their salesmen to make any decisions on pricing. In fact, I sold used cars when I first separated from the air force and at one dealership I wasn't even allowed to know the pricing on used cars up front. Id have to get a price from the manager and that price could change based on the customer for the same car. Id get the deal in writing before making a trip like that. I can't really blame the dealerahip, they obviously couldn't make (acceptable) money on the deal the salesman agreed to. Lesson learned. Talk to a manager and get the deal in writing.

Comment

Btw.. Sorry you had to go through that. Does sound frustrating as heck. I can't stand car/truck shopping. Major PITA. Didn't mean to come off calloused.

Comment

Sorry it went down the way it did but if I found out one of my salesmen offered to sell one of our products for a price that cost me money, not only would I fire him, I wouldn't do the deal either.

Unless you are at some tiny tiny Mom & Pop dealership (can't think of one), no salesman has the authority to determine the sales price of a vehicle. Everything has to go through the sales desk/sales manager. Just the way it's done now.

Comment

That may be the way it's done now, but it sucks. If a salesman can't price a vehicle, what good is he ? I'm old school I guess.

Comment

I see a trend on some of these "deals" the salesman is always off when the buyer shows up. My friend went through the same crap on a new truck at Grand Prairie Ford, they wouldn't call the salesman either!

Comment

If I agreed with a salesman on a price before getting to the stealership and they went up one single cent on the price when I got there, I'm not even going to argue with them, I'm asking to speak with a manager and letting him know why I am walking out the door. If I had drove 2 hrs to get there, I would be absolutely livid too! That's why I always deal with them through email so that there is a paper trail!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                That may be the way it's done now, but it sucks. If a salesman can't price a vehicle, what good is he ? I'm old school I guess.
                I agree

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry for your lost time and the aggravation. Thanks for the PSA on the dealer. Nice to know how they operate.

Comment

I feel the same way about Gulf Coast Toyota in Angleton. It was a few years ago but worst time I've ever had in a dealership. Since then I know of at least 3 others who had similar problems. ALWAYS check the paper work. Once you sign your done. Fortunately I did read the paper work and avoided 11.6% APR!

Comment

Bad deal! I would first be all over the salesman!!! He is the one who lied to you and cost you the time and expense.

Comment

They don't call them stealerships for nothing. Basically it's a common practice for these sales guys to tell you something like that to get you there. Its called bait and switch. Happens all the time unfortunately.

Comment

Sad part of all of it is the dealership could care less they lost a customer. Todays times im afraid. I get horrible service most places i go. I do find some places still offer good CS and thats usually from people in the above 40 category.

I had the dealer on my wifes last jeep try to play some games.....i had it all on paper with the GM'S signature on it. They still tried the game. I told them they could have the jeep back if they couldnt honor their contract. They fixed it.

Comment

Have you complained on their FaceBook page?

Comment

I had a similar experience a few years ago with Grapevine Ford. I was living in Austin at the time and found an F250 on their used car lot that I felt was priced right. I called to enquirer about it and to ensure it was available. The internet salesman confirms it's there and I even had him go personally put his hands on the keys to DOUBLE CHECK the darn thing was on the lot.

I leave Austin and drive almost 4 **** hours to Grapevine. Get there and they say it JUST SOLD. I insist on seeing the truck anyway because I felt I had been HAD! No way they could have done the paperwork that fast IMO. Of course they can't produce the truck...Oh, but had several others they could show me!!! The ole bait and switch scam!!

I can't say I was as calm as the OP after wasting my time. I left a mark on that place they are probably still talking about today! The GM wasn't very happy with the salesman but in the end he was probably behind the deed himself anyway. It's all a game to them. They sell ZERO vehicles if they don't get you to come in the doors. Still, I wouldn't buy a tricycle from those Bastages!!

Comment

Working...
                              X