Deer meat numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
    I love ground venison in all forms but man yall are grinding a ton of great cuts from the hind quarters in my opinion. That being said I believe the deboned meat is somewhere around 30-40% of live weight, could be more if trim and rib meat along with heart and liver are retained.
    I agree completely and used to not till my girlfriends jaw has a TMJ issue and can't chew as good as she used to. So ground meat it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
      I agree completely and used to not till my girlfriends jaw has a TMJ issue and can't chew as good as she used to. So ground meat it is.

Yeah, it's also so easy to thaw ground meat and make 1000 different things opposed to roasts or steaks being very specific meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=mhunter6;12808030]Yeah, it's also so easy to thaw ground meat and make 1000 different things opposed to roasts or steaks being very specific meals.

this is why we make all ground we can. Love me some sketti.

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
          I love ground venison in all forms but man yall are grinding a ton of great cuts from the hind quarters in my opinion. That being said I believe the deboned meat is somewhere around 30-40% of live weight, could be more if trim and rib meat along with heart and liver are retained.
          You are correct. When I get my ground meat for the year just about done, I keep probably 2/3 of each hind quarter for steaks, jerky, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried grinding some venison from one of my deer a few years ago with an electric grinder my girlfriend had and it was a disaster. The grinder was way outmatched and I made a huge mess of the house. I've been turned off to it ever since. With a better grinder I'm sure I could handle it but I still don't have a space I can use to do it. Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

Homemade grinders don't like silver skin. I grind the leanest 33% into ground, cut stew meat and roasts out of the more tendon and fat rich pieces with the 2nd third, and last third is steaks. Once you get a system it really is fun and rewarding packing your own animal, I even have my 3 yr old twins vacuum sealing it for me now. Last buck yielded 45lbs of processed meat, 28 dinners.

Comment

Years ago I had read that you could expect approx. 1/3 of the animal's weight as usable meat (cleaned, skinned, deboned). I've found this to be a pretty accurate estimate in real life. I'm real picky about how I trim up my wild game. I've seen a lot of guys that will put what I put in the scrap pile (to feed to the dogs) in with the rest of the meat for grinding. We usually add about 20-25% fat in the form of bacon to our ground venison for burgers. Ground feral pork gets no added fat, you just have to watch it closely while browning it in a pan. We don't grind a lot of venison preferring steaks and roasts over ground meat.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I started processing my own deer a couple years ago. Got a grinder from Cabelas and a folding table and went to work. Been my favorite purchase that’s hunting related since I got it. Last year I started to separate the different roasts and keep them as the whole muscle. They are perfect for pot roast or you can cut into steak when ready to use. Also kept the hocks and slow cooked them in a crock pot to make “barbacoa” tacos, they’re unbelievable. I keep the neck roasts and also take all the rib meat. Here’s a picture of the last deer skeleton when I got done with it. There’s plenty of scrap to turn into burger and chili meat but those large roasts are awesome! Started to get way more meat than I used to when I started to do things myself.

Comment

Surely you kept the shanks and did not eat the **** covered hocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      Surely you kept the shanks and did not eat the **** covered hocks?
                      Hahaha oops. Yes you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                        Hahaha oops. Yes you are correct.
                        With a bone pile like that, I wasn't sure! Been wanting try osso buco with the shanks

Comment

I shot a buck last weekend. Did not weigh him but yielded roughly 58 pounds of meat! Processed meat. That's insane to me. He was definitely fully mature and if say close to 200 lbs live weight. The picture doesn't show how big he really is (body wise) the second picture is just neck meat

Edit: I don't mix in any fat or other meat.

Last edited by BW96; 10-31-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Most # i seen are right in Balll Park..Brisket is a good add in but expensive..Bacon ends and pieces are great if yoe get them at a good price ...What I done recently is use Pork Loin and if you hurry there a $1.00 a at HEB a pound ..That keeps the price of ground meat and chiie meat reasonable

Comment

Time well spent

Comment

Working...
                              X