New Year Workout Accountability 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Ran about 1.5 today. My hero is really hurting. Not sure why.
    Wth. My heel.
    Oh I see. At first I was going to tell you I feel fine.

Comment

Signed up for Anytime Fitness today. I hate gyms. But the work discount and the biking distance from home was a big plus. Now to figure out what I'm doing. I need a full body workout that I can do about 3 times a week. Cardio will be trail running and/or treadmill mixed in with some mountain bike rides.

Any suggestions for an easy to follow workout using circuit machines and some free weights? Thanks.

Comment

Signed up for Anytime Fitness today. I hate gyms. But the work discount and the biking distance from home was a big plus. Now to figure out what I'm doing. I need a full body workout that I can do about 3 times a week. Cardio will be trail running and/or treadmill mixed in with some mountain bike rides.

Any suggestions for an easy to follow workout using circuit machines and some free weights? Thanks.
        Depending on what machines the have for a full body workout, just run through the circuit.

Lower

Squats or Leg Press Machine
        Leg extensions
        Leg curls - seated and laying
        Calve raises - most machines in a circuit are standing

Upper

Chest Press
        Shoulder Press
        Lat pull downs
        Rows
        Triceps extensions
        Biceps curls - most places only have a preacher curl machine

Machines will limit you.

For a free weight program, I would recommend Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength for starting off. It hits all the big groups, is easy to follow and not any fluff. It's an upper/lower body split done in 3 days.

This is the Stronglift program and you alternate workouts A and B. https://stronglifts.com/5x5

Workout A: Squat 5×5, Bench Press 5×5, Barbell Row 5×5
        Workout B: Squat 5×5, Overhead Press 5×5, Deadlift 1×5

Example

Week 1
        Mon/Fri - workout A
        Wed - workout B

Week 2
        Mon/Fri - workout B
        Wed - workout A

And repeat.

Not sure of how tall you are but machines are really good for us taller folks.
        Last edited by icetrauma; 01-08-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks icetrauma!

First of all, what does your username mean? Were you skating on thin ice as a kid and fall through?

Second, thanks for the great info. I appreciate it. Good stuff.

Comment

Back and bi’s was good yesterday

Getting intense forearm pain again so need to tone down the weight for biceps again

2 miles of cardio yesterday too

Today involves being at a airport or in a plane from 7:00am to 6:00pm so taking a day off

Shoulders and cardio mañana

Comment

Hit it again this morning, and did a light wo on Saturday. Still keeping it going...

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                I totally agree with both of you. I'm 6'4 and 228 and my BMI says I'm over weight. I used to train folks and they would get pizzed when they'd step on the scale and their weight went up. Then we'd go measure their BG % and they were a little happier. They don't realize muscle weighs more than fat. All they want is that scale to read less. SMH
                I am 5-9 and 220 lbs and according to the insurance company I am obese. I have a 32 inch waist but a bunch of muscle mass that adds the weight. The BMI is a load of crap in my opinion, insurance company doesn't want to give me life policy because of it.

Comment

I am going to focus on goals this year instead of the scale or the mirror.

I want to hit a 350 bench and 500 dead, I don't squat heavy because I have a bad back but I want to build on that as well.

Comment

Thanks icetrauma!

First of all, what does your username mean? Were you skating on thin ice as a kid and fall through?

Second, thanks for the great info. I appreciate it. Good stuff.
                    Hehehehe, when I was in nursing school, I was a tech in a the Shock Trauma ICU, some folks just said I was cold as ice hence icetrauma.

Comment

5.2 miles in the park today in about a hour ten. Can definitely tell I took hunting season off. Legs were struggling that last mile. My gym is stupid busy this afternoon. Probably going to start doing morning workouts for the next month till it slows back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

How do y’all get motivated to start working out . I have never in my life worked out or ran . I’m very out of shape unless we are talking about round .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          How do y’all get motivated to start working out . I have never in my life worked out or ran . I’m very out of shape unless we are talking about round .
                          Just start. Walking at a brisk pace is a great place to start. Once you start getting comfortable/bored with that then add in some jogging with the walking. Lifting weights or just body weight exercises several times a week will make you feel great in a short time. Youtube is your friend as far as finding upper and lower body exercises and the proper form to use when doing them. The amount of exercise will release endorphines into your brain accordingly and you will feel much more motivated to do more the next time. It is addicting. Set some reasonable goals and get after it. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                            It’s tough and I’ve started and quit within a week so many times I’ve lost count

Following Cameron Hanes on insta was a portion of what got me to stick to it this time and wanting to be more fit and in shape for hunting out west in the future. Also I really started becoming unhappy with how I was looking in photos with all the weight I was gaining

It just takes that one spark to get it going honestly

Comment

Back workout with 20 cardio in row machine today

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                Back workout with 20 cardio in row machine today
                                How's the shoulder doing? Mine has been giving me fits for awhile now. Between lifting heavy and shooting my bow it is aggravated. Kinda glad hunting season is over for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X