No announcement yet.

Cooper or Lake Tawakoni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tatdaddy ever hunt the other sections of tawakoni or no someone that has? pawnee unit west of lone oak or the small unit off of hwy 34?
    i drove out a couple of Saturday's ago around the pawnee unit. didn't seem like alot of hunting pressure. i believe it is buck only during traditional rifle season

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
      tatdaddy ever hunt the other sections of tawakoni or no someone that has? pawnee unit west of lone oak or the small unit off of hwy 34?
      i drove out a couple of Saturday's ago around the pawnee unit. didn't seem like alot of hunting pressure. i believe it is buck only during traditional rifle season
      There is no rifle season on Tawakoni. Deer hunting is ALWAYS archery only. This time of year there is no pressure out there.

Comment

hog hunter I haven't hunted any of the other areas yet. I did drive out to the little place off 34 as its only 5 miles from the house but decided to wait to hunt it next year as I saw a big 10 point on thanksgiving day about 100 yards away. he had huge mass and was well outside his ears. I tried grunting and a rattle bag but he spooked . I think I got winded. anyway I will keep hunting around the lake in hopes of a shot at this hoss.

Comment

never hunted it myself but i saw a 12point taken off of tawakoni by someone else. This is the only deer I have seen for myself. It was a good size deer. I dont know how long he had to hunt the area to see it.

Comment

I have hunted the duck cove area of Tawakoni, Stuck a large hog in there a few years back. Lots of hogs and have seen several deer also, nothing huge though. We should get together as a TBH group some week end and do some scouting of these areas. After the season of course.

Comment

I'm in for post season scouting/ still hunting hogs . let's make that happen. also I would love to find a place to shoot 3d

Comment

On target archery in Canton has 3-d and I think there is a place in Emory.

Comment

thanx for the heads up

Comment

Originally posted by jonziboy View Post
                    never hunted it myself but i saw a 12point taken off of tawakoni by someone else. This is the only deer I have seen for myself. It was a good size deer. I dont know how long he had to hunt the area to see it.
                    Was that deer killed this year? I havent seen much of anything looking like a buck. . .

Comment

tawokani

Originally posted by tatdaddy View Post
                      hog hunter 34 I hunt on the duck creek area about 300 yards from the lake
                      i hunted there a few years ago,and stopped at the store in quinlan, started talking to a cop and he said to be careful in there,they found some "meth labs"in the woods down there,and there were some freaks hanging around there.so i didnt go back.......it might be cleaned up around there now but i havent been back

Comment

Originally posted by flurryoftexas View Post
                        i hunted there a few years ago,and stopped at the store in quinlan, started talking to a cop and he said to be careful in there,they found some "meth labs"in the woods down there,and there were some freaks hanging around there.so i didnt go back.......it might be cleaned up around there now but i havent been back
                        yep i quit hunting tawakoni 3 yrs ago. too many shady people hanging around there. the parking area at the pawnee inlet had lots of ****agraphic materials laying around. seen people riding atvs in the park. seen people walking around with centerfire rifles. you name it. i didnt even trust leaving my jeep while i was out hunting. forget that place.

Comment

Anybody been out there this year? Im interested in giving it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by newbieG View Post
                            Anybody been out there this year? Im interested in giving it a try!
                            Went yesterday morning and all I can say is take you a thermacell because the mosquitos were terrible! Only saw 5 squirrells and a coon but I'm gonna try again when it cools off, it's just too warm right now.

Comment

Trees

New to the area. What kind of trees are around/in the WMAs? I have both a climber and a hang on. Another question is what's the quality of bucks around this area as well as the doe population?

Comment

I hunted the duck creek portion the last 5 years. I coach basketball so it was hard to get out as much as I would have liked to. I never had a terrible experience. Last year I saw two really nice bucks but didn't get a shot off. It's a lot like public land anywhere else I have been. It can be a good experience, but if there is one idiot out there it can be a bad experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X