No announcement yet.

What is a Fire Fighter worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to bump this back to the top. If we have more people across the boards that will go to the City Counsel meetings and speak up, it may make a diffrence.

~Michael Tapatalkin on the droid

Comment

Caddokiller, what you fail to realize is that we didn't get into this career with intentions of getting rich, but we did get into it expecting certain things, namely, a decent living, certain benefits (reasonable health insurance, retirement etc), a certain degree of respect etc. When I got in, yes, I made a good living, had great insurance coverage that cost me next to nothing, and when the cost of living went up, we got a small raise to offset that increase. That all stopped about 4 years ago, we're still making the same money we were back then, but it costs a ton more to live now. Add to that the fact that my insurance coverage has decreased in value and increased in cost every year since I started, about the only thing they haven't touched in my retirement, and that's only because we have a private retirement plan that is not managed by the city.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
        Caddokiller, what you fail to realize is that we didn't get into this career with intentions of getting rich, but we did get into it expecting certain things, namely, a decent living, certain benefits (reasonable health insurance, retirement etc), a certain degree of respect etc. When I got in, yes, I made a good living, had great insurance coverage that cost me next to nothing, and when the cost of living went up, we got a small raise to offset that increase. That all stopped about 4 years ago, we're still making the same money we were back then, but it costs a ton more to live now. Add to that the fact that my insurance coverage has decreased in value and increased in cost every year since I started, about the only thing they haven't touched in my retirement, and that's only because we have a private retirement plan that is not managed by the city.

Thank you!

My retirement has gone down. I remember when I started 8 yrs ago mine was earning 10.5%, now it's down to 5%. Local politics has nothing to do with that though...

TTT

Comment

Welcome to every Blue Collar worker in Americas world,If you keep the roads in order, keep the water running, the electricity flowing, oil pumping etc. etc. etc.get my drift. FF's are just a piece of the big picture, no different than any other hard working guy who gets up and does a days work. I am not demeaning what you do. Just stating a fact IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
            Boring? not under paid. No firefighter is being under paid? You need to come to Houston and ride along, might change your mind. My engine proably make more runs in a month then you do in a year.
            But most places aren't Houston.

Comment

I have one question for all the FF that have posted. What is ya'lls average salary per year? I find it hard to see how anyone in the USA can ever complain about what they make especially if they are making 40K a year or better. I am a teacher and knew what my pay was going in and have never complained one time, not even when I made a choice to go from a district paying me 37K a year to one paying me 33K a year. Now if yall are making say 25K a year, I can see a complaint or two.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                This is not ment specifically for the op but...

So tired of hearing everyone ***** about what they make and how they are treated. You new that being a firemen, police officer, city worker, maintance men, trucker etc. dont get paid crap when YOU took the job! No one is forcing any of us to stay where we are. If your not happy, go back to school and get a degree in something thats going to pay well. Doctor, lawyer, engineer etc. Get your masters in goverment and run for office and change things! Go to your city council meetings, call your representatives. Go door to door and tell people why they should vote for YOU for city manager. DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW YOUR MISTREATED. Cuz trust me 90% of the working class think the same way you do. Sorry for the rant... Let the complaining procede... And yes I'm under paid and under appreciated too

WOW I think we must be twins, I have been preaching what you just posted for the last year.

Comment

34k with no raise in 3 years

Comment

I guess they just don't get what your saying brother. It doesn't matter (well, it does) what your anual is but when you get passed over year after year because some Jerk in a tie wants a bigger bonus, something is wrong!

The next time you're house catches fire, an armed intruder is breaking in, you water main breaks or your lights go out, rest assured that the person responding to fix Your problem is well compensated. I wish the people that have a problem with my brother venting could spend a week in our shoes! Go a week w/o seeing your wife and kids because you are on nights and tell me "you knew this when you joined". Tell me, it's no big deal when you roll up on a 12 year old that was gunned down over a drug deal. Tell me, it's no big deal when it's raining at 3 am and your lights go out. Get a clue, get a life and (yes, I've been drinking) yes, get off this thread!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                      I have one question for all the FF that have posted. What is ya'lls average salary per year? I find it hard to see how anyone in the USA can ever complain about what they make especially if they are making 40K a year or better. I am a teacher and knew what my pay was going in and have never complained one time, not even when I made a choice to go from a district paying me 37K a year to one paying me 33K a year. Now if yall are making say 25K a year, I can see a complaint or two.
                      He posted that he was getting $50 a hour plus insurance and now reduced.

40 hours is $2000 a week times 4 equals $8000 a month plus beneifts, does that make $100,000 a year annual salary for being a fireman or did i miss calculate??

Comment

I am a fishing guide.
                        When the wind blows, I complain.
                        When I get customers that can't cast, I complain.
                        When I'm booked several days in a row, I complain.
                        When I'm not booked, I complain.
                        Our career is a choice.
                        We are owed nothing.
                        Not one career choice designates us as a higher form of life, and all choices have set-baccks and negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfirerescue View Post
                          That's funny, I thought we were posting on a thread talking where the topic was about FF pay and issues???

My fault for not understanding, and never did I say I was a victim, but merely commenting my side. I hope this thread gets deleted like rest.
                          I was not commenting on your post. My comment is entirely about FF pay and why it is what it is.

Comment

Have any of you guys that are in the union ever think about the fact that the IAFF's support of 100% liberals ( and that goes for all unions) might have something to do with the changes in bold above? You support liberals and then complain about the effects of Liberalism. YES they go hand and hand

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              Have any of you guys that are in the union ever think about the fact that the IAFF's support of 100% liberals ( and that goes for all unions) might have something to do with the changes in bold above? You support liberals and then complain about the effects of Liberalism. YES they go hand and hand
                              They don't want to hear that their Unions support the Left.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                                I guess they just don't get what your saying brother. It doesn't matter (well, it does) what your anual is but when you get passed over year after year because some Jerk in a tie wants a bigger bonus, something is wrong!

The next time you're house catches fire, an armed intruder is breaking in, you water main breaks or your lights go out, rest assured that the person responding to fix Your problem is well compensated. I wish the people that have a problem with my brother venting could spend a week in our shoes! Go a week w/o seeing your wife and kids because you are on nights and tell me "you knew this when you joined". Tell me, it's no big deal when you roll up on a 12 year old that was gunned down over a drug deal. Tell me, it's no big deal when it's raining at 3 am and your lights go out. Get a clue, get a life and (yes, I've been drinking) yes, get off this thread!!!

With that attitude I could say the same thing about my profession, but I dont, because like I said, I knew all that was involved when I chose to be a teacher, but I dont complain about the kids that grab you by the shirt collar and threaten to hit you, the parents who call you a racist and call the NAACP, the parents who threaten to get you fired because they are on the school board and their kid is failing your class, the parents that try to sue you because you dont treat their kid the correct way, ect. Nor have I complained about not getting my regular raise for the last two years due to the education cuts by the state. Every firefighter to ever put the uniform on should have known those events may happen during their time on the job, as that IS the job. I live my life the way I want and NOBODY owes me ANYTHING. I get what I work for and if I dont like what I get for the work I do, I go find some other work that gives me what I want, I dont complain about being the little man, I work at becoming the big man.

Comment

Working...
                                X