Arrow Speed vs. Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
    Maybe chrono is messed up. I was shooting some arrows the other day & my Full Throttle magically started shooting a 501gr arrow at 322fps. 😎😎😎
    It maybe time for me to get a new chrono.
    Lemme guess 125# @ 36.7" DL?

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      Lemme guess 125# @ 36.7" DL?

Seems legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe chrono is messed up. I was shooting some arrows the other day & my Full Throttle magically started shooting a 501gr arrow at 322fps. 😎😎😎
        Probably. I’ve got his setup at 254 fps.

Comment

Yeah, maybe. I will try and shoot through a chrono in the near future.

Does arrow spine assist in arrow speed?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            Yeah, maybe. I will try and shoot through a chrono in the near future.

Does arrow spine assist in arrow speed?

No, launch speed is simply a function of an arrow’s weight and the stored energy in the bow being imparted upon it. A 400 spine 450 grain arrow will have the same launch speed as a 300 spine 450 grain arrow shot out of the same bow.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
              No, launch speed is simply a function of an arrow’s weight and the stored energy in the bow being imparted upon it. A 400 spine 450 grain arrow will have the same launch speed as a 300 spine 450 grain arrow shot out of the same bow.

Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post

I saw a article about arrows that stated that there is no reason to not shoot a stiff arrow and that a stiff arrow of same weight of a weaker arrow would be faster. There would be no lost in fps due to flex. I’ve tried. I never saw a gain

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  I saw a article about arrows that stated that there is no reason to not shoot a stiff arrow and that a stiff arrow of same weight of a weaker arrow would be faster. There would be no lost in fps due to flex. I’ve tried. I never saw a gain
                  Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                    https://youtu.be/RjZH5Nx38wc

I’ve shown guys this video for years. It’s probably the most informative 10 minutes you’ll get on arrow weight and velocity. I’ve rewatched it a number of times.
                    Does not account for spine.
                    Spine changes impact

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                      I think you would need to push this to an extreme to see a fps variation.
                      Perhaps a 500 spine 400 grain arrow 150 grains up front
                      Then a 300 spine 400 grain arrow 125 up front both from a 70# hard cam. Then measure the speeds at 25 yards.

Comment

Speed at distances could due to energy being used in trying to gain control. But at launch point, probably not measurable with any standard chrono.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                          Probably. I’ve got his setup at 254 fps.
                          What calculator did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            What calculator did you use?
                            Just common sense bow math. Creed has an IBO rating of 328. At 50 lbs, that IBO rating is 320. You lose 4 fps IBO per 10 lbs. So, we start at 320, and since you have a 28” DL, we subtract 10 FPS per inch, so we’re now at 300 fps. Peep and loop cost app. 7 FPS, so now, we’re at 293. Every 30 grains of arrow weight cost app. 10 FPS. Your arrow weighs 118 grains over 250, (IBO for a 50 lb bow), so, rounding up, 120 grains costs 40 FPS. We’re now at 253 fps. Of course, that is assuming that your Creed actually hits IBO speed.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                              Just common sense bow math. Creed has an IBO rating of 328. At 50 lbs, that IBO rating is 320. You lose 4 fps IBO per 10 lbs. So, we start at 320, and since you have a 28” DL, we subtract 10 FPS per inch, so we’re now at 300 fps. Peep and loop cost app. 7 FPS, so now, we’re at 293. Every 30 grains of arrow weight cost app. 10 FPS. Your arrow weighs 118 grains over 250, (IBO for a 50 lb bow), so, rounding up, 120 grains costs 40 FPS. We’re now at 253 fps. Of course, that is assuming that your Creed actually hits IBO speed.
                              Just trying to learn something here.. if ibo is at 30 inches 70 lbs if you shoot over 70 do u add ?

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                                Just trying to learn something here.. if ibo is at 30 inches 70 lbs if you shoot over 70 do u add ?
                                On the IBO rating, I don’t really know?? But, every pound should give you 2 fps of arrow speed, until you hit a point of diminishing return, OR, your cam advancement increases DL.

Comment

Working...
                                X