Biltong????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biltong????

Was on Pinterest the other day and noticed a cured meat called biltong. Orginates from South Africa. I am doing mine in the fridge since I don't have a dry box.

Anyone else heard of it or done it?

Comment

Read any of the Peter Capstick books and he eats it all the time. African big game hunter.

Comment

Well I though, I got an abundance of Elk meat right now, so I grabbed an eye round and am trying it. Just worried about the botulism aspect and keeping it clean from all that

Comment

Interested to hear how it turns out. I was always intrigued due to Capstick speaking of it frequently.

Comment

Also interested in how it turns out, I've never made it but the stuff I had in SA was much better than jerky.

Comment

I ate it while I was in South Africa. I thought it was good, but I prefer Jerky

Comment

Well I'll keep y'all updated and I'll try to post pictures of the process.

Comment

I ate quite a bit of it on my second trip to Zimbabwe, my PH was really high on the stuff. It was ok but I like my jerky better.

Comment

Couldn't get a full picture to upload but I have two like this. My worry is I didn't add enough salt or enough didn't stick. But time will tell. These are both bout 14 inches long
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have tried it , and did not care for it at all. Worst way to " fix" meat there is. Jerky, hamburger, stew meat ,any thing is better to use it on rather then waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Exactly what I was thinking before I even opened the thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          I had forgotten that episode haha

Comment

From what I saw on hunting shows, the process (flies crawling all over it while it was drying) would keep me from ever eating it. No personal experience, but if that's how it's all "made", include me out.

Comment

Well mine is in the fridge so hopefully no flies

Comment

Working...
                              X