Camera Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
    Bokeh has nothing to do with the sensor, it’s all about the DOF and focal length. You can get good bokeh with a kit lens if it’s composed right. I started shooting portraits with a $200 50mm 1.4 and loved it, still my most commonly used headshot lens.

Kit lenses aren't going to give the best subject isolation but it can certainly be done.

A fast aperture and getting your subject farther away from the background is way more important for bokeh than sensor size

The Canon 50mm f1.8 is also dirt cheap, will give you a 75mm equivalent focal length (GREAT for portraits!) and will give you really nice background blur, did I mention it was dirt cheap, like $100 used cheap.

Comment

But that 75mm focal length also translates into a nearly 3 f stop. While yes, blur becomes attainable it seems like it would be much more facilitated with a full sensor camera.

Comment

Discussing whether to apply crop factor to aperture is like discussing religion and politics for some folks... lol

Some folks say it doesn't effect DOF, some folks swear it does and both will argue to death about it.

There are certainly benefits to full frame, but there's also benefits to APS-C, my main camera is a full frame DSLR but I also really like small APSC mirrorless bodies for different reasons. I'm all for going full frame if you want it but anyone trying to tell you it will solve all your photography woes is trying to sell you something.

Comment

I bought a Rebel T3I as it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to jumping into the 6D Mark II, while it blows away my XTI away in every way it’s made me want to throw down on better lens and even more camera. So it’s for sale...

Comment

Look at the Nikon 1000 it's a beast

Comment

Next step in this Journey landed me in a Canon 7Ti with a well rounded lens setup. As best I can tell this camera as far as imaging is concerned is no different than the 80D and 7D MK II, now build quality, camera controls and shutter speed may lack slightly otherwise it’s a heck of a setup for a reasonable price. Haven’t played with video yet.

Features, options, and light processing blow the T3i away. Also, the Canon App and WiFi option sure is nice to save pictures to my phone. Not real big on pulling the computer out to transfer pictures.

Also getting to experience what the following of the L series canon lenses are all about have the 24-105mm f/4 and it’s a bad dude. Feel a little guilty hooking it up to the plastic camera body but it’s quick, clear, and built like a tank.

Also got a 50mm 1.8, different experience when you have to move yourself to capture the picture you are after. The 50mm on the crop sensor is a bit much and can see how on full frame it would be the perfect portrait setup.

Might actually hold on to this setup more than a week. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
              X