Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas BHA Chapter

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
    With all the issues going on in western states, it got me to thinking about issues of representation.

What rights do hunters actually have in Texas in regard to public land?

I've watched as the duck hunting areas have been downsized to make homeowners happy on several of the lakes I hunt. I also know of one area in the DFW that will likely cease to allow hunting in the next 5-10 years. Some anti's even put in for draw only units to keep hunters out.

Populations keep increasing with percentage of hunters decreasing. I know the western states have things such as Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, but what all do we have?
    Texas does have a chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. They help fight for access here just like out west. I was originally surprised to see a Texas BHA chapter as I just didn’t associate this state with the idea of backcountry. Since joining BHA I have learned that they fight for access all across the country not just out west. Everyone should at least check them out. The Texas chapter holds pint nights all over the state where you can hang out with some like minded individuals and learn what they are all about.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is the voice for our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.

Comment

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Not to be a jerk but BHA has been discussed at length in this zombie thread.

They just released their Texas Chapter newsletter as well.

Comment

I would also!

Comment

We (Texas BHA) are holding a Full Draw Film Tour night at Cinnamon creek July 21. I'll be there as will be the chairman for the state, and the policy chair for Texas. There is a a 3D shoot that starts at 10:00 AM and the movie starts at 4:00 PM. In between we will be hanging out and having a cold beverage or two.

If y'all want to get something going stop by and visit with these guys about what you want addressed with CoE or TPWD. We are a nimble group of fellas eager to work on impactful projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            Momentum for this thing died last year unfortunately. I did get a chance to talk to Mike Panasci last year at the Full Draw Film Tour and I’ve talked to him a few times since over the phone.

The current strategy for BHA is to try to get more Corp of Engineer access. I sent Mike an email with most of the information I had but it wasn’t a whole lot unfortunately, and the Keeptexaspublic website looks like it’s a goner.

My recommendations would be to contact the Texas chapter of BHA with concerns regarding the Corp area you hunt if you feel that it hasn’t been addressed adequately. I only knew of most of the areas surrounding DFW.

The stance on BHA is that if it has a huntable deer population and it’s public land, it should be open to bow hunting. In the Northeast you have bowhunters, hikers, cyclists, fisherman and other people coexisting even on some college campuses (forgive me but I cannot remember the specific place) where they had an over abundance of deer.

I don’t see why they can’t do the same here. The view is that with some of the negative publicity (Utah public land issues) that Trump took in the past few months would be that Secretary Zink is wanting to increase access for political clout. Not saying it’s wrong or right, but representation goes a long way, especially when you consider places like Lake Lavon for example.
            I just read through this thread. Wish I would have seen it sooner, because Houston has two giant reservoirs that hold monster deer that are Army Corp land. Every morning I run it, deer are out feeding. I am going to bring this up at the next BHA event here in Houston.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              I just read through this thread. Wish I would have seen it sooner, because Houston has two giant reservoirs that hold monster deer that are Army Corp land. Every morning I run it, deer are out feeding. I am going to bring this up at the next BHA event here in Houston.

Thanks!

Send me details via PM or email and I will fast track it t the board.

Comment

I've been thinking about issues like this pertaining to the spread of urban sprawl, massive influx of people moving here, the loss of wilderness, habitat fragmentation, and the fact that Texas has a tiny amount of land that is protected from development for a long time. In fact I was talking about it just last night. Unchecked development should not take priority over the existence of wild lands and our Texas hunting tradition. We need to flex our influence and push back. I have been and will be all for supporting and helping efforts to maintain and expand protected lands and the rights of hunters to use them.

We should organize a lobby

Comment

Can’t believe I haven’t seen this thread before. Next stop, BHA website.

Comment

I'm going to **** someone off with this, but here goes.

I worked in DC for 8 years, 6 of which were as a Republican congressional staffer. I have worked in the oil industry for the past 6. Several years ago, during the Obama administration, the idea spread in Congress to allow state agencies to regulate activities on federal lands within their borders. There were three main reasons for this; 1) the Obama Interior Dept., BLM, and EPA were blocking oil/gas drilling and mining in places that the state/local population supported it and it would be environmentally appropriate; 2) blanket, nationwide federal regulations on oil/gas drilling didn't make sense when the geology of certain places varied wildly, so allowing local control would be better, if not safer; and 3) oil prices back then were $100+, the shale boom had not happened yet, and everyone was scrambling to Drill Baby Drill where the feds had walled off the oil. Bills were introduced but never became law.

What has happened since then is a significant evolution in what should have been a good idea. Now the movement is to transfer all control - ownership - of federal lands to the states to do as they wish with them. This is being spearheaded by Sen. Mike Lee of Utah and to a lesser extent our own Sen. Ted Cruz. In some cases this transfer might mean just what the original idea was all about - more efficient regulation - but what's really going on is a drive from wealthy GOP donors and extreme conservative voices (who do not believe in the basic premise of "public land") to start the process of getting federal land sold to private interests.

I have personally witnessed one of these people urge a Federal Reserve official (who has no influence on this, anyway) to consider if liquidating all federal lands, including national parks, would pay off the deficit. Another cautionary tale is what the Wilks brothers (who have given millions to Cruz campaign committees) have been up to the last few years in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho - buying land from timber companies and pushing for land swaps with BLM that would have the effect of shutting out the public. The extremist element of this movement is the Ammon Bundy crowd.

Even though a lot of this is a western states problem, the same thing is happening on a smaller scale here with what little public land we have. TPWD is doing what it can with acquisitions like Powderhorn and allowing hunting in some state parks, but it's a faced with a freight train of population movement, land price inflation, and now the "privatization" crowd.

It really is up to us as outdoorsmen and voters to keep the worse case scenario from occurring. That means joining BHA, going to public hearings on these issues, and letting your member of Congress know how this effects us regular people.
                    Last edited by GoBears870; 07-12-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Follow the money

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
                      I'm going to **** someone off with this, but here goes.

I worked in DC for 8 years, 6 of which were as a Republican congressional staffer. I have worked in the oil industry for the past 6. Several years ago, during the Obama administration, the idea spread in Congress to allow state agencies to regulate activities on federal lands within their borders. There were three main reasons for this; 1) the Obama Interior Dept., BLM, and EPA were blocking oil/gas drilling and mining in places that the state/local population supported it and it would be environmentally appropriate; 2) blanket, nationwide federal regulations on oil/gas drilling didn't make sense when the geology of certain places varied wildly, so allowing local control would be better, if not safer; and 3) oil prices back then were $100+, the shale boom had not happened yet, and everyone was scrambling to Drill Baby Drill where the feds had walled off the oil. Bills were introduced but never became law.

What has happened since then is a significant evolution in what should have been a good idea. Now the movement is to transfer all control - ownership - of federal lands to the states to do as they wish with them. This is being spearheaded by Sen. Mike Lee of Utah and to a lesser extent our own Sen. Ted Cruz. In some cases this transfer might mean just what the original idea was all about - more efficient regulation - but what's really going on is a drive from wealthy GOP donors and extreme conservative voices (who do not believe in the basic premise of "public land") to start the process of getting federal land sold to private interests.

I have personally witnessed one of these people urge a Federal Reserve official (who has no influence on this, anyway) to consider if liquidating all federal lands, including national parks, would pay off the deficit. Another cautionary tale is what the Wilks brothers (who have given millions to Cruz campaign committees) have been up to the last few years in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho - buying land from timber companies and pushing for land swaps with BLM that would have the effect of shutting out the public. The extremist element of this movement is the Ammon Bundy crowd.

Even though a lot of this is a western states problem, the same thing is happening on a smaller scale here with what little public land we have. TPWD is doing what it can with acquisitions like Powderhorn and allowing hunting in some state parks, but it's a faced with a freight train of population movement, land price inflation, and now the "privatization" crowd.

It really is up to us as outdoorsmen and voters to keep the worse case scenario from occurring. That means joining BHA, going to public hearings on these issues, and letting your member of Congress know how this effects us regular people.

All good points. I'm a hard right guy and always have been, but I think the republicans have missed the whole point on public lands, and the money doesn't lie. The speech by Mike Lee last week was asinine and completely twisted. He showed what they really want to accomplish in Utah.

Comment

I just joined BHA. Look forward to going to the events and supporting our cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m gonna start a new thread on this soon since this one is a little broad. We have representation and lobbying power now, but it has to be focused and organized which BHA has going for it, and was what I was looking for when I originally made this post.

Comment

Post up the new thread Kirby!

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
                              All good points. I'm a hard right guy and always have been, but I think the republicans have missed the whole point on public lands, and the money doesn't lie. The speech by Mike Lee last week was asinine and completely twisted. He showed what they really want to accomplish in Utah.

Mike Lee is usually on the side of the angels when it comes to RKBA issues. I wish he’d understand that those broad tracts if public lands out west often allow informal target ranges. Low cost plinking is a great way to introduce new people to shooting and keep them shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X