No announcement yet.

Do you really need a stabilizer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope i shoot mine without one and dont have any trouble.

Comment

I need to try shooting without one after reading this. I've always felt that the bow is heavy with it on there but was necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        While true for the most part, my hunting stab is 11" carbon rod with 8oz stainless weights on the end and for the fun of it I pulled it off and shot without it and my pin movement actually slowed without compared to with it. Maybe some bows just balance better than others? I had never tried it but it was very noticeable at 50+yds

That might have been too much weight out front. Most bows don't need that much weight to balance. Putting a lot of weight up front usually means some rear weight needs to be added to make the bow balance. On my target set up, the 30" bar only has 4 ounces on the end of it and the 12" rear bar has 16 ounces. This makes the bow sit very neutral in my hand. If it is really windy out, I may up the weight a little, but I keep the 1 to 4 ratio and the bow stays in balance.

Comment

I only have one as a noise dampner on my z7 but doesn't really do anything for weight. its actually one bow that I have shot that feels pretty balanced

Comment

I'll have to try shooting with an without now and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackedup View Post
              That might have been too much weight out front. Most bows don't need that much weight to balance. Putting a lot of weight up front usually means some rear weight needs to be added to make the bow balance. On my target set up, the 30" bar only has 4 ounces on the end of it and the 12" rear bar has 16 ounces. This makes the bow sit very neutral in my hand. If it is really windy out, I may up the weight a little, but I keep the 1 to 4 ratio and the bow stays in balance.
              Yea it was too heavy I believe but even with only one 4oz weight it was still better without any stab. It kicks back a little after the shot without one but it will be worth it having it hold better

Comment

I am going to try shooting it both ways this afternoon and see what I prefer. I would like to keep the bow on the lighter side. Does anyone know if they make a screw to hold your sling in place of the stabilizer? My bow came with the stabilizer and I added a sling from Cabela's, but it did not come with anything to mount the sling.

Comment

They will add weight. The right amount of weight will stabilize the bow and keep the fibers from appearing to shake or move as much, like the ones used by target archers.
                  I have a 90 degree set up on my Chill R and use a 4 inch stabilizer turned up to use as a carry handle so I don't carry the bow by the string.
                  The key is your group size vs the carry the carry weight. In the mountains the weight can be a problem. Not so much when you walk 300yds to a tree stand. With the new parallel limb design hand shock is no longer an issue.
                  Practice both ways and see which way you prefer.

Comment

Comes down to what works

My old bow I didn't use one and it felt great, my new one I tried out a friends and found it made a difference, think it ultimately just depends on what feels best for your setup. Test with and with out, use what ever works best and you feel most confident in.

Comment

Originally posted by XJessen89 View Post
                      I am going to try shooting it both ways this afternoon and see what I prefer. I would like to keep the bow on the lighter side. Does anyone know if they make a screw to hold your sling in place of the stabilizer? My bow came with the stabilizer and I added a sling from Cabela's, but it did not come with anything to mount the sling.
                      a rest bolt is the same size and thread as a stabilizer stud. If you don't have an extra bolt, they are standard sized, I just cant remember of the top of my head what size they are.
                      Last edited by Quackedup; 01-20-2016, 05:28 PM. Reason: Typo's

Comment

5/16 x 24, 1/2" long will work. Use a stainless cab screw (bolt with the Allen wrench head) it looks cooler.

Comment

I've got a sniper hawg light. Does that count?

Comment

Working...
                          X