No announcement yet.

Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If actually reducing the pig population was my goal, I'd do this instead of hog dogs any day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My advice to you is if you decide to pay 2000 dollars for a hog dogged bow only lease! U might as well just take that 2K and donate it to st Jude or your favorite charity because y'all ain't gonna kill no deer or pigs anymore! Plus the extra foot pressure of hog doggers is gonna open doors for trespassers and all y'alls stuff gonna get stolen plus u will just be feeding cows and racoons....basically if u stay on this lease with the landowner slapping u in the face like this you are a dumbarse sucker!!!!!hahahaha
      Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 04-04-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Shane I don't even think you would even get to shoot the baby yearlings anymore!! Hahaha

Comment

Everyone that says hog dogging does not effect the deer should just stick to fishing maybe! Wow...

Comment

Originally posted by RACK View Post
            Hog dogs will never Ever put even a small dent on the hog population. Most doggers I know do it for sport and practice for their dog training. They could care less about your deer , feeding program, hunting area ,etc. The worst thing in the world you can do for a deer place is put dogs on it and that's just a fact. The deer will flat out leave the area as the dog pressure increases. Most will never come back if they have cover ,browse,and water elsewhere.
            This!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BDR View Post
              As a land owner there is no way it's happening on my place. If your looking to control your hog population there are MUCH more efficient and productive methods. Not a fan of hog dogging what so ever.
              Bingo!!

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                Shane I don't even think you would even get to shoot the baby yearlings anymore!! Hahaha
                Dangit! Looks like skunk soup for me than!

Comment

No way in hell I would be on a lease where this is allowed! I don't know where you guys are hunting maybe hill country but up here in the panhandle you ain't going to see a deer with that going on.There is a reason they get big and smart up here.

Comment

I did it for years outside of Fairfield. We hunted hogs hard from February to about August. It had zero affect on the deer herd or the hunting. We did catch loads of hogs. Now we did have good dogs that would not chase a deer. So I guess the answer depends on how good the hog hunters are.

-john

Comment

Hmmm...a bunch of barking dogs and people stomping around not to mention the ruckus when they catch one, nahh..shouldn't bother the deer.

Comment

Few things:

Your land owner is in breach of contract but if its not an issue for you, I wouldn't worry about it. It does highlight the point of having an actual signed Lease, though. If this were, say a rent house, he couldn't let others come stay in the house that you were paying for. Why do hunters get to do basically the same thing?

However, Hog dogging out of season won't bother your deer. I've been with hog dogs that ran within yards of deer. They will scatter for a short while but they will come back. Most deer these days are used to vehicles, planes, tractors etc etc. They are used to human activity. So they aren't going to scatter for miles.

You DO need to make sure that the hog doggers arent planning on hunting during season. You don't want to be in the blind and have a pack of dogs go by chasing a hog. This is really just a respect thing and pretty basic communication. Shouldn't be an issue.

Hog dogging will help get rid of hogs...NOT necessarily because of the hogs that they catch, simply because hogs will leave an area if they are under a lot of pressure/harassment, if they have other options. Hog dogging once in a while won't do it though, it has to be constant. Also, they will eventually be back. It never ends.

If the hogs are coming to your feeders and they are using your feeders to strike hogs, a very common practice by the way, simply turn the feeders off.
                        Last edited by RogueSamurai; 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

Lol we and other people kill 160's dang near every year on places that get dogged a lot at times in the spring in summer. And this is in east Texas on big and really small places. It won't really effect anything, now. We generally hunt from the end of deer season through the spring and a little in the fall before deer season. I've seen hogs screw up deer hunting way worse than dogs. We have the real deal dogs that can clean out properties and places. We get deer leases call us right before season begging us to come run the hogs out.

I personally have multiple places that I dog that I move the hogs out before deer season and have a really nice season with hardly any pressure from them.

The one and only time I could see a gripe for disturbing the deer is if someone is dog hunting during deer season. But that's it and generally no one hunts their dogs during deer season.

Best place I know of in east Texas has been dogged for 40 years and they've killed multiple 200" deer low fence

Last edited by Tshelly; 04-05-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Just my recent experience:

Two months ago, I had hogs and deer showing up (more deer than hogs) at my lease. Then, I started seeing dogs on one trail camera this month. Since the dogs showed up, I no deer on that camera. The hogs are still regulars.

However, I suspect these are strays and not hog dogs. I will say that I was quite angry when I saw pics of dogs at my feeder. I love dogs, but I don't want them near my setups. To me, added pressure is added pressure. Funny thing is, I don't even care about the deer, I don't want the dogs chasing off my hogs!

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                              Best place I know of in east Texas has been dogged for 40 years and they've killed multiple 200" deer low fence

.................east Texas, you say?

Comment

Originally posted by demtx View Post
                                Hmmm...a bunch of barking dogs and people stomping around not to mention the ruckus when they catch one, nahh..shouldn't bother the deer.
                                yep!!!i like shooting big bucks not spikes...

Comment

Working...
                                X