Buck forage oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best idea I've heard all day!
    When you guys get ready to grow something with some real antlers give me a shout!

Comment

Originally posted by qzilla View Post
      When you guys get ready to grow something with some real antlers give me a shout!
      Your definately the only one doing it right!

Comment

LOL. Ridiculous.

Comment

Q seems here lately you been having a chip on your shoulder when someone doesn't agree with you? Whats up with that? I used to enjoy your posts. I prefer nature to do my growing but you seem to have it going on! Good luck this season!

Comment

I planted about 2 acres of oats last weekend. I used buck forage oats because that is all tractor supply had. I think I timed it just right .... Columbus got a lot of rain yesterday.

Comment

I'm with Quad on this. I have seen a difference on several places including my own between buckforage oats and reg oats. Y'all can do what you want but I have been usin them for several yrs and will continue to use them. And if your ever on a place that has both and watch deer walk across the reg oats to get to the buckforage oats what would you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftridge View Post
                I've seen a lot of research, though done outside of Texas, that showed Buck Forage Oats were a huge waste of money compaired to regular ol' Bob Oats..

Here is some pretty compelling info..

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthrea...ck+forage+oats
                I agree.. When I used Buck Forage it was just overpriced oats. I've used other brands that worked just as well.

Comment

Q seems here lately you been having a chip on your shoulder when someone doesn't agree with you? Whats up with that?
                  I rarely post an answer unless I have quite a bit of hands on experience and have done a fair amount of research on my own.

I take the time to post something of value (my time, my work done on my dollar) only for people to turn around and want to believe something they read on another forum from another state written by people they have no clue about?

Just pointless to post almost.

I do not have a stake in any any seed companies, archery products or deer breeding or deer breeders.

What I have done is spent a lot of time on these subjects, direct side by side comparisons AND I have results to prove what I am saying. I am not spewing an opinion or talking about something I tried once or something someone else says. I am only stating facts that are provable and have postive results.

I get tired of people giving advise that really have no clue and no basis for what they are spewing out.

If someone did something and wanted to say it didn't work for them or wanted to explain why it didn't work or why something else worked better that is great. I have yet to see this on most threads and certainly not on this thread.

Here is the brilliant advise we have on this thread for the nay-sayers:

I've seen a lot of research, though done outside of Texas, that showed Buck Forage Oats were a huge waste of money compaired to regular ol' Bob Oats..
                  Yup, looks like he has no factual info and has not used them as asked by the OP.

They are more cold tolerant like mentioned here, but with lime and fertilizer, they are not "significantly" better.
                  So they are better but, it leaves us all hanging and then based on what?

When I used Buck Forage it was just overpriced oats. I've used other brands that worked just as well.
                  Again, just as well based on the fact that they both turned green and sprouted? Or regular oats produced as much forage? Or deer would eat them just as well when side by side?

So yeah, it makes it not worth posting pretty much.

And I despise all things QDMA. One of the biggest QDMA promoters in this state just got fired from the largest ranch in the state if that tells you anything about how the QDMA programs work out?

All in all, if someone is going to give you some advise on something they should have something to back it up, not a link to another site written by people in another state. Or maybe that is just way too logical?

Comment

BFO are definitely different than Bob Oats. The oat seed product at Tractor Supply that I have seen is not BFO, they are Plot Spike Oats and yes they may be Bob Oats but they are not BFO. BFO were originally a variety derived off of an 833 Oat that was at one time one of the most cold tolerant oats available. At this point, the Buck Forage Oat folks will NOT tell you the specific variety of oats they use. They did confirm to me in an email that it was a variation of the old 833.

Comment

I rarely post an answer unless I have quite a bit of hands on experience and have done a fair amount of research on my own.

I take the time to post something of value (my time, my work done on my dollar) only for people to turn around and want to believe something they read on another forum from another state written by people they have no clue about?

Just pointless to post almost.

I get tired of people giving advise that really have no clue and no basis for what they are spewing out.

If someone did something and wanted to say it didn't work for them or wanted to explain why it didn't work or why something else worked better that is great. I have yet to see this on most threads and certainly not on this thread.

Here is the brilliant advise we have on this thread for the nay-sayers:

Yup, looks like he has no factual info and has not used them as asked by the OP.

So they are better but, it leaves us all hanging and then based on what?

Again, just as well based on the fact that they both turned green and sprouted? Or regular oats produced as much forage? Or deer would eat them just as well when side by side?

So yeah, it makes it not worth posting pretty much.

And I despise all things QDMA. One of the biggest QDMA promoters in this state just got fired from the largest ranch in the state if that tells you anything about how the QDMA programs work out?

All in all, if someone is going to give you some advise on something they should have something to back it up, not a link to another site written by people in another state. Or maybe that is just way too logical?
                      I'd love to respond to this but its about the stupidest thing I've heard for some time..And in my line of work I hear some pretty stupid stuff...

Like I said I guess because people have researched, tested and have a different experence that YOU personally not only is it invalid but its a waste of time to post a link to..

Hope you can get that head through the blind door to shoot one of those monster bucks you've got over there!

Ok, I tried to ignore the snipes calling my post "pointless" but I just don't have it in me..

For the record my post wasn't talking out my butt..It was a link to someone elses experience that I find pretty compelling..And still do..

There is more than one way to skin a deer or grow big deer it would seem..Notice how I don't discount what your doing is working for you?
                      Last edited by Leftridge; 09-08-2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

qzilla, don't stop posting. Very informative. I'm gonna try some BFO this year in south texas and see what happens. I have always just planted feed oats cuz they are cheaper. May have to plant some of both and see what happens. What ph shld I be shooting for in my soil?
                        Oh let the others have thier say. Not everyone will agree and some may have no idea what they are talking about but thats ok......chill.....and thanks for the report.

Comment

I guess I am going to add a little fuel to the fire that is already raging.

Just as Leftridges data came from out of state and seems to be non applicable to TX, so could Quads. If Quad is on the other side of the state from you, his growing setup could be completely different from yours. TX is very diverse in climate, soil types, precipitation amounts. This is why I find it difficult for any "foodplot" seed to be a blanket type application for the state of TX. I think you should search for local and regional seed producers that know what works in your neck of the woods rather than asking for statewide advice on something....jmho

Comment

Thanks everybody! I like to read all the different views on the subject, because I am about to plant some oats and I find the information interesting.

Comment

Just as Leftridges data came from out of state and seems to be non applicable to TX, so could Quads. If Quad is on the other side of the state from you, his growing setup could be completely different from yours. TX is very diverse in climate, soil types, precipitation amounts. This is why I find it difficult for any "foodplot" seed to be a blanket type application for the state of TX. I think you should search for local and regional seed producers that know what works in your neck of the woods rather than asking for statewide advice on something....jmho

You make a very good point and a very valid point.

The problem here is not whether or not BF oats will grow or if they are the best food plot. It is whether or not they are better than "regular oats" bob oats or whatever.

Now, I have done these tests in 3 different regions of the state, north TX, S TX and WAY South TX (Sand country). They do better in certain soild for sure but, at the end of the day if you stick "regular" oats in the ground next to BF oats, the BF will produce more forage and do it longer and do it in more severe weather than regular oats will. That is a FACT. They are a forage oat, not a seed oat and were developed to specifically to stay tender longer and provide more total forage.

So they may not grow good in some parts, I agree but, if you plant them side by side they are the better oat which was the original question.

I have always just planted feed oats cuz they are cheaper.
                              We did the same exact thing. An oat is an oat is an oat is what we screamed for years until we someone convinced us to try which is why I would prefer that some actual facts get stated and not hearsay.

Not only did we measure the oats, we used exclusion cages and we also used exclusion fences in some instances just to test the oats at various stages if they are not browsed. To go even further we compared prior years fecal sample results to last years fecal sample results to see if we could see any difference. I cannot assure you that it was all in the oats because we strive to make everything better every year but, our nutrition is better now than it used to be according to lab results of fecal samples.

I'd love to respond to this but its about the stupidest thing I've heard for some time
                              You will have a hard time responding until you can further improve your reading comprehension.

I am going to help you out.

Below is the simple request from the OP:

If you have used buck oats before what did you think about them?
                              You haven't. So quit spreading hearsay.

For the record my post wasn't talking out my butt
                              You are spreading hearsay, which is very similar. Ask your buddy grayson what the definition of hearsay is, he is an attorney I am sure he is well versed.

It was a link to someone elses experience that I find pretty compelling..And still do
                              If it is on the internet it must be true!

There is more than one way to skin a deer or grow big deer it would seem
                              This is where I can totally 100% agree with you. There are tons of ways to do this and there are ways to do it better than we are doing it now for sure.

My beef is this:

I've seen
                              Not I've done.

were a huge waste of money
                              If you are going to use statements like that you better have something to back it up, more than an internet link.

I think you should voice any opinion you want. When you starts spewing info out that you don't have ANY firsthand knowledge about and then want to proceed to tell everyone something is a huge waste of money you are going to get sharp responses back.

Same is true for braodheads, bows, arrows, feeders, protein etc.

Comment

I can pee further than all of yall!!

Comment

Working...
                                X