Hooch wine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
    What kind of yeast are you using? You might want to buy a wine yeast. A baking or beer yeast is probably going to die before all the fermentable sugar is consumed, ie lower alcohol content. Just a thought. I used to homebrew in my drinking days and remember something to that effect.
    Im using bakers yeast, its hooch man, not any of that fancy azz boons farm,lol. the baking yeasy will get it there i promise.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
      What type of 100% juices did you use?
      Apple, regular and white grape. One of the bottles is a mix of all three that were left over from adding in the sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
        Im using bakers yeast, its hooch man, not any of that fancy azz boons farm,lol. the baking yeasy will get it there i promise.

Ok, thought the point of hooch was maximum punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          Ok, thought the point of hooch was maximum punch.
          Yes, but they dont sell wine yeast at the dollar general,lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
            Yes, but they dont sell wine yeast at the dollar general,lol.

True. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Have a buddy that does this. Makes a new batch weekly and keep them rotated. He isn’t a big wine drinker but will drink the bottom out of the stuff he makes. The longer it sits he says the better it taste. Idk. But I’m going to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

that's the penitentiary way. They make a Bung stop and a airlock for water jugs. You can buy them at specs really cheap. The carbon dioxide needs to leave and not let air back in. The little gadget at specs looks like a miniature p-trap. You put a little water in it to stop the back flow of unwanted air while the carbon dioxide can still escape.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
                  that's the penitentiary way. They make a Bung stop and a airlock for water jugs. You can buy them at specs really cheap. The carbon dioxide needs to leave and not let air back in. The little gadget at specs looks like a miniature p-trap. You put a little water in it to stop the back flow of unwanted air while the carbon dioxide can still escape.
                  I looked at ordering some of that stuff with a guy I work with this week. If I were to get into this seriously I would or will spend the money on proper equipment. This is more of an experiment I started while working from home to not go crazy. Lets hope it works. I will be trying out some of it this weekend and will report back if I can still see to type

Comment

Haven't had that in 10 years and I still don't want anything to do with that hangover

Comment

We used clear tubing sealed into a hole in the lid. Hang it over into a bowl of water when it quits bubbling it’s ready. If you want it stouter you can add more sugar and it will start back up again. We used this method on a 5 gallon Ozarka jug for watermelon wine stuff would knock the sanity right out of you.

Comment

Nice wine u've got!

Comment

I have made a lot of hard lemonade / hard cider / wines and am finishing a batch now.

A few recommendations...

1) Get champagne yeast for fermentation. Bread yeast will leave off flavors and not be able to survive to the standard 11-18% of wine. Amazon, Austin Homebrew Supply or any wine kit place for a buck or 2.

2) Fermentation can be fast. Ensure you put the fermenters somewhere that sticky juice will not damage.

3) If using raw juices, use campden tablets to kill any wild yeast or bacteria before fermentation.

4) If using store-bought juice, ensure it does not have potassium sorbate (preservative) in it, as it will battle your yeast. Cheap no-name juices usually do not have it, but expensive ones may. Look at the label.

5) Have a plan for backsweetening. This process will produce a VERY dry wine. If you add sugar it will just ferment out again. You can either kill the yeast then use sugar or use a non-fermentable sugar, like xylitol or Splenda, to sweeten. Even if you don't want it sweet, you may need some backsweetening or be prepared to pucker.

6) When you are done, save and wash the yeast. It will start fermentation on your next batch very fast and will completely ferment next time in less than a week.

Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by howabouttheiris; 06-04-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                            I have made a lot of hard lemonade / hard cider / wines and am finishing a batch now.

A few recommendations...

1) Get champagne yeast for fermentation. Bread yeast will leave off flavors and not be able to survive to the standard 11-18% of wine. Amazon, Austin Homebrew Supply or any wine kit place for a buck or 2.

2) Fermentation can be fast. Ensure you put the fermenters somewhere that sticky juice will not damage.

3) If using raw juices, use campden tablets to kill any wild yeast or bacteria before fermentation.

4) If using store-bought juice, ensure it does not have potassium sorbate (preservative) in it, as it will battle your yeast. Cheap no-name juices usually do not have it, but expensive ones may. Look at the label.

5) Have a plan for backsweetening. This process will produce a VERY dry wine. If you add sugar it will just ferment out again. You can either kill the yeast then use sugar or use a non-fermentable sugar, like xylitol or Splenda, to sweeten. Even if you don't want it sweet, you may need some backsweetening or be prepared to pucker.

6) When you are done, save and wash the yeast. It will start fermentation on your next batch very fast and will completely ferment next time in less than a week.

Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                            Thank you for the great information brother.

Comment

^^^ awesome write up

Comment

Got my setup ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X