Heck of a deal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck of a deal.

Went to gibsons in Weatherford to look around at the used guns looking for a decent rifle to rebarrel. As I was looking at the guns I noticed an old heavy barrelled Winchester model 70 in 30-06. It was ok looking stock was dinged up but mainly dust and grime. It had a 4x wire frame scope and a leather sling on it. I was about to hand it back until I seen the tag. 175.00!! I can't buy an action for that. I thought what the heck.

Got it home and broke it down and scrubbed it with the intentions of taking it to the Smith and get busted apart and noticed it had a timney trigger installed. This got the wheels turning. Action is now very smooth it's got a good trigger and I've got some 30-06 ammo somewhere. I took the scope off and replaced it with a vx1 3x9 just to shoot from the bench. Since I was headed out to the ranch anyways.

Got it on paper and first group with the Winchester 150 gr silver box left me unimpressed.

Somewhere around 3"
    I thought I might as well try my favorite ammo Hornady sst 150 brainers. And I was shocked. A legit 9/16 group!!
    I don't want to do much to it but I'll probably just ceracote it since the blueing is worn in spots. Any suggestions on the color. The black is ok but wanting to try something a little different. I usually don't fall into deals so I'm excited about it for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

One heck of a deal right there!

Comment

I'd leave her alone and tell the story. Over and Over! Good going :-)

Comment

I have a synthetic stock for the rifle in Weatherford I’d make you a heck of a deal on.

Comment

Man I would have a hard time cerakoting it. Nothing like a little character on a throw around beater/loaner rifle. But I would run with a color as close to the deep “bluing” color as you can get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Horrible gun, I will give you the 175 back for it and throw it away for you. LOL awesome find.

Comment

I would leave her as is, coat her with oil and clean her routinely after use. That's a steal of as deal. Can't beat the classic look! Nothing measures up to traditional.

Comment

I would not do anything but shoot it. Wow heck of a deal is right!

Comment

bet you can reshoot that winchester ammo and it will group alot better now that you have fouled the barrel. Your first group is always a crapper after cleaning.

Comment

Sweet!!

Comment

It ain't broke so don't fix it. Any idea on age of the gun? Congrats on a great deal.

Comment

I'll give ya $176!

Nice find!

Comment

$177

Comment

Great find!

Comment

Please don't cerakote that rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...