Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayno View Post
    Oil change for starters.

I pay $80 for full synthetic changes at my local dealership. Full synthetic on my wife’s car is $65. Meh not enough difference to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
      The oil change argument is non valid. Diesels go way longer in between oil changes so you aren't spending as much. Also instead of running out buying a new gasser it would be cheaper and better purchase to buy a used diesel. Get the price point you want an overall durability. You can pick up a nice used diesel for 20k that is recent and is cheaper than a 30k + gasser.

The only $20k diesels I’ve seen for sale are 12-15 years old or older.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

With 200K+ on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Life is short, buy the diesel...

Comment

I left a 2012 Ram 2500 with the diesel for a 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, and I don't regret it at all. It has the get up and go and lots of power. Gas mileage is about the same as my 2012 diesel. Ride is much smoother as they went with different front end. I have no regrets going from diesel to gas. Really thought I would. I don't do any seriously heavy pulling.

Comment

I have a 2003 F250 with a 5.4 that has 286,000 miles on it with little or no problems thru all of those 286,000 miles. She is semi-retired right now but still runs good. I don't remember exactly what the gas mileage is but my philosophy has always been that if you want to drive a pickup, gas mileage really isn't high up on your "gotta have" list. If you want gas mileage drive a Prius...

Comment

I pay $80 for full synthetic changes at my local dealership. Full synthetic on my wife’s car is $65. Meh not enough difference to complain about.

Obviously, I’ve never owned a diesel, but I always understood they hold 12 quarts of oil (my V10 holds 6) and the filter was twice the size of the standard gas one. Since I always change it myself, I was just looking at the price of materials. Maybe I’m wrong...won’t be the first time.

Also, I change my oil every 5,000 miles, not 3,000 like we used to on the older vehicles. I know a lot of the newer gas engines recommend even longer than that.

Comment

I have a gas 2500. I love it - especially when I fill up and my gas is 40 cents cheaper per gallon. And oil changes are cheaper. I got 14 gallons per mile in 2000 when it was brand new. At 225K miles, I still get 14 miles per gallons.

Comment

I drove a 98 Cummins then a 2000 Cummins both 3/4ton 4x4. I traded the 2000 for a half ton ford. I hated the half ton. it felt like a car and just didn't do what I needed. I kept it less than a year and went to a 2014 6.4 hemi 3/4 ton. I liked the hemi. it drove well and pulled well. it just never felt like my diesels. I traded it a month ago on a one ton Cummins 2018. for me a diesel just does a better job at everything. oil changes on the hemi were within 40 bucks of the cummins and every 5k. the cummins is every 10k

Comment

Originally posted by acameron52 View Post
                      life is short, skips the diesels of this world and retire early...
                      fify

Comment

My 6.4 Hemi asks for an oil change every 7-8k miles(I can't remember which one). Price is the pretty much same as a diesel for the most part since it drinks 0w40 full synthetic.

Comment

Diesel is nice to have but not worth the extra cost for just pulling toys around. Unless your toy is a large toy hauler.

Comment

I have a '15 2500 Z71 with a 6.0. I LOVE this truck. It pulls my 34' 5th wheel just fine and rides super smooth.

Comment

3/4 ton gassers

Originally posted by Wayno View Post
                              Obviously, I’ve never owned a diesel, but I always understood they hold 12 quarts of oil (my V10 holds 6) and the filter was twice the size of the standard gas one. Since I always change it myself, I was just looking at the price of materials. Maybe I’m wrong...won’t be the first time.

Also, I change my oil every 5,000 miles, not 3,000 like we used to on the older vehicles. I know a lot of the newer gas engines recommend even longer than that.

I’m not trying to berate you, I just hear people say that maintenance is so much more expensive and I just like to see their perspective. I currently own a diesel and have owned both gas an diesel and I’ve only found there to be about 10-15% higher cost overall on a diesel and it’s mainly in oil changes and fuel filters.

But it isn’t as drastic as some people like to make it out to be.

I used to have my oil tested. When I ran Amsoil in my 7.3L diesel I would run it to 25k miles with a filter change around 12k miles.

Oil always tested good. I only changed the oil 5 or 6 times in 110k miles of ownership.

Last edited by Mike D; 04-17-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

2 years ago a local dealership gave me $18.5k for my ‘07 Dodge diesel that needed $1k of body work, and transmission work as well. And the dealership knew about the problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X