Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RRagan83 View Post
    cool sheds do you know the bucks that dropped them
    Yes, the one on the left is from a yearling and the one on the right is a nice little 2.5yr old. These two bucks are always showing their faces on our property. Hopefully we can find some more sheds during turkey season.

Comment

I hate you having so much turkey problem, but it's a relief to know I'm not the only one. Adjusting the feed times like you did is the single best thing I've done and I bet you'll see good results like I did. Last year I also started encouraging my lab to chase them and now it's his favorite thing to do. We'll just ride around and when we spot them near a feed area he gets after them. You can see the joy on his face.

Comment

They have really been slowing their protein consumption down lately. Normally at our All Seasons trough, the go through 1,000lbs in about 3 to 4 weeks. My dad went out there this weekend to top the feeders off as he was only able to put one bag in the trough, which means they have only eaten around 50lbs in the past two weeks. I know there's lots of native forage, but I didn't think they would slow down this much. Maybe they are in such great shape from the mild winter that they haven't had to play catch up with their bodies...who knows.

Comment

[ATTACH]783354[/ATTACH]

Comment

Building Varmint Cages

Well...we installed a couple of the 14in x 14in square varmint cages back in October on our big feeders, but the raccoons were still able to reach in and spin the spinners. In fact, one of our 1,000lb Krivoman feeders only lasted about a month because the raccoons were spinning it every evening. I have since made some new varmint cages out of horse panels and they are 22in by 22in. I welded and wired everything together, so it should definitely hold up to the raccoons. I also welded a couple of hinges on there for a little access door. My welding is not pretty, but I think it will do the job. All I have to do now is get a 24in x 24in steel plate to mount it to and we should be in business.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0122 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	24437758

Name:	DSCN0123 (Large).jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	24437757

Comment

Varmint Cage

Well, I finished building two 22in X 22in varmint cages. If the raccoons still find a way to spin the spinner plate with this new varmint cage, I'm not sure what to do.

Name:	IMG_6828 (Large).jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	24439801

Comment

Eliminator spinner plates do the trick for me. Mine are only 3 feet off the ground and don't have cages on them either.

Comment

4/26/2016 Update

I went to the ranch this past weekend to do some turkey hunting and to install the new 24in by 24in varmint cages that I built a couple weeks ago. The protein consumption has gone down quite a bit, which is probably due to the 10in of rain we have received in March and April. We received 3.5in last week, so it's really green out there and we saw lots of good forbs (i.e. rain lillies, wine cups, engelmann daisy, bush sunflower, redseed plantain, rock daisies, penstemons, skeletonplant, purple dalea, etc.) and good browse (i.e. acacia, kidneywood, bumelia, sumacs, etc.).

I was able to shoot a gobbler that had a little over a 10in beard and an inch and quarter spurs:

Name:	IMG_6994 (Large).jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24441289

Name:	IMG_6969 (Large).jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24441290

My turkey hunting buddy:

Name:	IMG_6958 (Large).jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	24441288

Pictures of the native forbs/browse:

Name:	DSCN7370 (Large).jpg
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	24441280
                  Winecups

Name:	DSCN7372 (Large).jpg
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	24441281
                  Plantains

Name:	DSCN7394 (Large).jpg
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	24441284
                  Purple Dalea

Name:	DSCN7436 (Large).jpg
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	24441287
                  Rain Lillies

Name:	DSCN7398 (Large).jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	24441285
                  Roemer Acacia

Name:	DSCN7378 (Large).jpg
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	24441282
                  Bush Sunflower growing through Ephedra

Picture of the new varmint cages on our Krivoman feeders:

Name:	DSCN7383 (Large).jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	24441283

Name:	DSCN7433 (Large).jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	24441286

Picture of the big pond (around 5 acres):

Name:	DSCN7416 (Large).jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24441291

I dumped a bag of Record Rack minerals at each feeder and 50lbs of cottonseed range cubes. These spring rains should really help the antler growth this year.

Comment

Very nice...Looking real good.

Congrats on the Gobbler.

Comment

looks awesome. Love the pics and your thread

Comment

Beautiful place! Nice bird!

Comment

Looking Great! Thanks for the update!

Comment

Looking Good. Hoping to get back out to our area in the next couple weeks.

Comment

It's crazy to see the reduction in protein consumption from this March through April compared to the past couple of years March through April. I think it's most likely due to two things:
                              1. Lots of rain...duh
                              2. The mild winter this year = lots of forage throughout the winter, which means bucks were able to recover quicker and haven't had the need to eat a ton of protein.

Is everyone else seeing decreased protein consumption? I saw the protein consumption thread and was surprised to see how many people were seeing an increase in consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                                It's crazy to see the reduction in protein consumption from this March through April compared to the past couple of years March through April. I think it's most likely due to two things:
                                1. Lots of rain...duh
                                2. The mild winter this year = lots of forage throughout the winter, which means bucks were able to recover quicker and haven't had the need to eat a ton of protein.

Is everyone else seeing decreased protein consumption? I saw the protein consumption thread and was surprised to see how many people were seeing an increase in consumption.
                                In your case I would contribute the clearing and other land improvements yall have done to the decrease as well I like to see my property be able to provide when range conditions are good

Comment

Working...
                                X