Looking for a primer on arrow building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a primer on arrow building

I'm looking to start making my own arrows and I was looking for some information on where to start. Info about FOC, spine, weight, inserts, shafts, fetching, vanes, nocks, necessary equipment etc.

I am an experienced rifle and pistol re-loader. Is there anything like a reloading manual or somewhere on the web I can get all this info?

I would like to start knowing a little more about the arrows I shoot than whatever my local shop decided to set me up with.

Maybe point me to a few good threads?

Search for foc threads here. There is a big one.
    I have several threads on spine.

You need to look up Dr. Ashby. Start reading. Need to do this before building arrows.

Look at getting ontarget2 spine program. It's 20 bucks.

Your going to need a saw and a arrow shaft square tool and a good fletchings tool. I like bitzenburger

Then after reading ashby you need to decide on what you want for an arrow.

How I pick a weight on arrow is what is the slowest speed I'm willing to shoot. Then I build a efoc arrow to that weight.

If your going to build your own arrows you also need to start indexing your shafts. Several threads on here about this. I've tested most of all of them. Some people believe some don't.

Fletchings. Lots of them. I use fletch flex. Some of the quietest on the market if that is a concern. It is for me.

This is just a start.
    Last edited by enewman; 01-20-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I know I need to do some reading before I go out and buy equipment. I'll start with Dr. Ashby.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherCity View Post
        Thanks, I know I need to do some reading before I go out and buy equipment. I'll start with Dr. Ashby.
        Got any question just pm me. Lots of good info from ashbey. I have some other stuff I'll see if I can find.

Good luck

Comment

OK so there is ALOT of Dr. Ashby stuff out there. Not sure where to start. I might need some more basic info.

How about and equipment and material list?

Comment

Arrow saw. Cabelas.
            Fletch jig. Bitzenburger.
            Shaft square tool. G5 works fine. I use firenock Aps.
            Scale
            Spine program
            Glue and cleaner.

This is what you need to build them.

With the program. You don't even have to under spine. Let the program do it for you.

On ashbey. Read on foc. Arrow weight. And broadhead mechanical advantage. The rest just skim through.

Just remember. With the correct shot placement. You will kill everything in North America with an ibo arrow to what ever weight you want. And foc at 7% to what ever you want.

Personally I like arrows 500 gn plus and foc around 19% plus.
            Last edited by enewman; 01-22-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

When you get real serious you need to look at a spine tester. But that's $300. And most people don't have one. Nor do they worry about it. 50yards or less just use good arrows. 60 plus then it's when you start looking at the tester.

Comment

Enewman is the arrow god

Comment

Good info E.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                    Enewman is the arrow god

My money's on Muddyfuzzy

Enewman, on the fetching jig, right, left, straight, 3°, 6°?
                    Why? I know just seeking clarification for OP

Comment

You should always run as much helical as humanly possible, there is absolutely no reason not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Right helical with right bevel on a single bevel Broadhead.
                        Left with a left

Straight with a Whisker Biscuit?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Muddyfuzzy, enewman and a few others on here are good to know if you need answers about arrow set ups and such. Lots of threads these guys have posted on with good and solid advice.

Comment

Working...
                            X