How do you cope with the loss of a Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, I would like to get some opinions from those of you who have lost your father. My dad was my hunting partner for my entire life and he recently passed away unexpectedly. I know that everyone grieves differently and there are natural stages that the human mind goes through. My question is, for those of you who always had dad there when you hunted, how did you get passed the pain of their passing and enjoy the memories doing what you both loved to do together. I have a great group of hunting partners, some of which may see this thread, but I'm worried about how I am going to get into the woods again. I know that he would want me to continue his legacy of hunting with my son. Please let me know how those of you with experience in this have dealt with it.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine. God bless you and I pray you will remember him and continue to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, I don't have advice at all but I know there is a good chance I'll be in ur shoes one day. Prayers up for you Sir. Good luck with the feedback on TBH.

Comment

Your Dad will always be with you in the woods and you will think of him often every time you go. I lost mine long ago but use the time in the woods to chat with him and I’m pretty sure he hears me. Im sorry for your loss.

Comment

You have to remember the good times. Cry, get ******, grieve And pray a lot. Time helps with the healing. I still talk with my Dad and Mom

Comment

Man sorry for your loss, don’t have any real good answers just remember your son would enjoy making the same memories with his father. And your father would love to watch y’all from above making them.

Comment

Become a great raconteur, and tell of your good times together, and let others experience the joy you shared
              I don’t think my departed loved ones would want me to dwell on grief

Comment

Sorry for your loss.

I lost my dad 10 years ago and still think about him every day. He was my hunting and fishing buddy too. We made a lot of memories in the field and on the water and I wouldn't trade any of them for anything.

I am not going to lie, its hard to get over but time does make it hurt less.

Comment

I’m very sorry for your loss. I feel your pain, Brother. Ill be praying for you through out the summer and during this coming season.

It’s been 4 months since my Dad’s passing. He raised me hunting and I am who I am today because of him.

Here’s a small bit of how I’ve been handling it over these last few months....

For the last 6 years I haven’t really had the brain space, mental power or time to really focus on much of anything other than God, my Dad and his health. My wife and daughter have been amazing and very understanding.

Since he passed away back on January 25, 2019. I have had a lot of extra time. I’ve slowed down a lot. However, I have have been missing my Dad like crazy.

I needed some thing to preoccupy and take my mind of things ... I jumped head first back into my passion of Archery.

I’ve been a tinkering son of a gun here recent and shooting my bow almost every day. I’ve been experimenting with a wide range of broadheads, many different vane combinations with different spines just to see how they react. As well as stabilizers and added weight. Spent many days stripping vanes off and refletching.

I never had the time to really dig into and learn my new Hoyt Defiant I got back in 2016. In the last 3.5 months I’ve shot that bow more than any of my other bows over the last 6 years or longer combined.

Me and that HOYT have a special connection now.
                  It’s been therapeutic flinging arrows down range and experimenting with it. I even caught myself smiling a few times. Lol
                  I look forward to it every day.

God has been so good to me and my family especially during this time.

I fell in love with archery back in May of 1992 and never stopped but now more than ever God has used my passion of Archery over these last few months and allowed me some healing power through it. I know this up and coming deer season is going to be rough but Dad and I shared a lot of good memories hunting. I’m going to try my hardest to relive those as much as possible in my a lone time in the blind.

I still can’t stop the tears from falling on a regular basis even now. There are still many sad days and I will forever miss him but it’s a healthy balance of that and peace.
                  I’ve seen thousands of arrows fly in the past but now I watch the perfect flight of the arrow and it has a whole new meaning to me and I appreciate it even more.

Philippians 4:6-7 NIV
                  “(6)Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (7)And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                    Man sorry for your loss, don’t have any real good answers just remember your son would enjoy making the same memories with his father. And your father would love to watch y’all from above making them.
                    This. My grandpa was the father that raised me and it was fishing with him not hunting. We fished all the time from when I was 4 until the year he died in 2010. It took me almost 9 years before I really cared to fish again like we used too. I wouldn't even fish lake Conroe at all because that is where we fished the most. I deprived my kids of all that time with me fishing and making memories. I finally realized that what grandpa would have wanted was me to keep on fishing and doing what he loved. I am truly sorry for your loss but you have to keep on going on and doing what you love. Not a day goes by I dont think of him and man what smiles we all get when we start catching them catfish and thinking of grandpa.

Comment

Lost my dad in 1995,yes that’s been a few years ago, it gets easier as time goes by, but there are times when I just can’t think of anything but him. We were very close. I just try to think of all the good times and great memories we made. I have a lot of his things and I often will go and look at his stuff, it helps me get thru the day.One day at a time and allow yourself to grieve. God bless you!

Comment

No advice here. Sorry for ur loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry for your loss. You should never forget and take each day just as you did with your Dad. That is the way he would want it.

Comment

Sorry for your loss..

I lost my dad in March of 15 . He was my bestfriend. We hunted fished worked together.. we talked on the phone atleast once a day and text several times a day.. he battled copd and eventually got a lung transplant. But cancer got him 3 years later.. I think about him everyday and have caught myself dialing his number when I had a question about work. Only to realize I couldn't get my answer that way anymore.. every hunting or fishing trip I still wish he was there to share the experience.. keep your head up I won't say the pain goes away but it will get better.. when you are sad think of the fun times together and think about what he would want you to do..

Comment

Sorry for your loss man I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I don't have my old man around deer camp. But I will say this I took my little girl out turkey hunting this year and got her first bird and to see the excitement in her eyes almost had me in tears. I think taking your kids out hunting and fishing would be the best therapy possible. I'm sure your dad would want nothing else than to look down at you guys in a deer blind telling your kiddos stories about there grandpa. I know my grandpa was a huge part of my life he's been gone for years but I still love hearing old stories about him.
                              Last edited by Dandy123; 05-29-2019, 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X