Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting around new tanks?

Hello,

My family just dug out some old tanks in Atascosa county. Right in time for the rain (Praise God!). Now we have giant mud holes in the ground with a little bit of water in the bottom. Anyways, we want to do what's best for the longevity of the tanks and what's best for our max enjoyment of the tanks. We've killed many ducks and caught many fish on these tanks in the past.

Is there something we should plant now on the remaining exposed surface that would help in erosion control/ duck habitat/fish habitat in the long term on these tanks?

We probably won't be planting yearly, as we just ain't that type of people. But if there is something we should plant now that will have a long term positive effect on our tanks, we want to do it.

I've attached some pictures of what they look like currently.
    Attached Files

I would think some kind of rye but I'm not a pond builder

Comment

Wheat or rye grass seed is gonna be your best bet this time of year, then native grass or bermuda seed next spring.

Comment

Rye now and turner seed tank mix this spring

Comment

^^^ This is what we have done on our last few. Turner’s blend took quickly in the spring and our tank dams still look great.

Comment

Gulf rye, brown top millet or buffle grass are about the only seeds I had luck with in that area

Comment

Following. I need to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be going with rye now and Turners tank dam in the spring.

Second question: We have cows (maybe 30 on 400 acres) will this be a waste of time?

Comment

#metoo!

Has anyone tried the spray on grass?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X