Making Progress: getting work done in Coleman county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karmstrong View Post
    What type of numbers are you looking at carrying on your place? Buck to doe ratios? Exotics - what and how many?

Looking for as much information you are willing to share. I am in the process of putting up a fence on a simular size place near Hico.
    I want to be 1 deer/ 7 acres. Ideal ratio 1:1.

Currently I am 1 deer/8 acres and about 1:4.

I have 4 aoudad (1 ram 2 ewes 1 lamb of unknown sex) and 11 blackbuck (2 bucks). I may add a couple of fallow but nothing else. Exotics aren't my focus really, I just enjoy having them.

Comment

Very cool read. If you get a chance, I'd like to know how you decided on those numbers^^^. And how you are going to document buck quality through the years of your stud bucks melting with native genetics?

Comment

Brought a few new friends home today.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
          Very cool read. If you get a chance, I'd like to know how you decided on those numbers^^^. And how you are going to document buck quality through the years of your stud bucks melting with native genetics?
          If you are referring to the deer numbers, that is about as high as i believe i can keep numbers with no detrimental effects to habitat. I need to keep my numbers higher since we are dealing with small acreage in order to produce as many bucks per year. If i see that i cannot hold that many i will go to fewer numbers. This will all be trial and error honestly.

My baseline will be comparing sheds and harvested buck from past years to sheds and harvested bucks in coming years (not including breeder bucks). After averaging i am expecting a positive trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
            If you are referring to the deer numbers, that is about as high as i believe i can keep numbers with no detrimental effects to habitat. I need to keep my numbers higher since we are dealing with small acreage in order to produce as many bucks per year. If i see that i cannot hold that many i will go to fewer numbers. This will all be trial and error honestly.

My baseline will be comparing sheds and harvested buck from past years to sheds and harvested bucks in coming years (not including breeder bucks). After averaging i am expecting a positive trend.

Good. That seems like a narrowed trial and error...

You are doing exactly what I want to do but I will start in about a decade. I am super curious how much the breeders will change the genetics over the years. Again, exactly what I want to do...

Correct me if I'm off... You started with about 15 natives after high fencing in 2015. Two bred does dropped 3 more does that year. And then just now added 3 breeder bucks?

What are your totals now?

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
              Good. That seems like a narrowed trial and error...

You are doing exactly what I want to do but I will start in about a decade. I am super curious how much the breeders will change the genetics over the years. Again, exactly what I want to do...

Correct me if I'm off... You started with about 15 natives after high fencing in 2015. Two bred does dropped 3 more does that year. And then just now added 3 breeder bucks?

What are your totals now?
              Im estimating on the high side this year because i didn't do a very thorough survey since we didn't hunt it and i know I'm below carrying capacity. Right now i am saying about 25-27 (on the high side). I think i probably have closer to 20 native deer in here, and will find out through survey estimates in the coming months. I know 15 minimum for sure.

With my 3 bucks and a couple of known bucks i should be about 1:3 right now. Thinking about 1 deer to 8 - 8.5 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                Im estimating on the high side this year because i didn't do a very thorough survey since we didn't hunt it and i know I'm below carrying capacity. Right now i am saying about 25-27 (on the high side). I think i probably have closer to 20 native deer in here, and will find out through survey estimates in the coming months. I know 15 minimum for sure.

With my 3 bucks and a couple of known bucks i should be about 1:3 right now. Thinking about 1 deer to 8 - 8.5 acres.

Awesome. Keep us updated, I really want to know how much the breeder genetics get mellowed out. This is a great case study for what I want to do.

Comment

They will certainly get mellowed out, but assuming about 1/4 or so of my current herd are released deer i expect a noticeable change in 3-4 years.

Comment

So cool the numbers are exactly what helps with the decision. You are living the dream. I want to do exactly what you have done with bringing a few in.

Comment

I did this exact same thing ten years ago - bought a beautiful 600 acre ranch and HF it. I went a little different route in that I killed out all the native deer and put in three bred doe and 3 two year old breeder bucks. I had no plans to commercially hunt it - I just want to manage and grow some big deer. It was a blast.

The ranch became so valuable that I sold it for future financial security - I still miss it. I look forward to following your thread.

I replaced the loss of my ranch with getting lucky to get on an incredible south texas lease that I run -

Comment

Will you be bring the doe numbers down this year to balance things out? Or are you trying to get your numbers up a little?

Comment

Originally posted by Karmstrong View Post
                          Will you be bring the doe numbers down this year to balance things out? Or are you trying to get your numbers up a little?
                          Yes I will be bringing them down at the beginning of the season. I had awesome fawn crops last year and should this year as well. I'll probably take 5-8.

Comment

Just got back from the former desert turned swamp in Coleman county. I have never seen it this green, and grass knee to waist high across the whole property.

One of the Bucks I purchased looks like he is going to explode this year!

I purchased 2 hinds and half ownership in a stag out of this guy. They will be delivered next week. I didn't think I wanted any, but what a stag.
                            Attached Files

Comment

wow that is cool!

Funny how the connection you made with Mr. Kroll benefitted you and your ranch. A friendship to last a lifetime.

On a side note, do you still have a gf on TBH?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                wow that is cool!

Funny how the connection you made with Mr. Kroll benefitted you and your ranch. A friendship to last a lifetime.

On a side note, do you still have a gf on TBH?
                                Absolutely! He has been a fantastic contact.

Well, like I said, life has changed a bit

Comment

Working...
                                X