X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecreek View Post
      That's what I was hoping for/anticipating, people slowing down and getting more time in on the stand as it gets colder. Hope their not out of big buck tags by then. Saw a good one on the side of the road last weekend coming out after the hunt. He was in the 120's easy, got me pretty excited seeing that quality out there.

Where exactly was this? LOL

Russel Park was out of buck tags last Weds. but said they would get more from the main office. They only had spikes taken out of Russel so far.

They should send out an e-mail to everyone when they are down to 1-2 buck tags. They did last year.

Would be my luck though, to get the e-mail saying they are out, then have a 170" buck come stand broadside at 15 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter2009 View Post
        I'm headed out to hunt this evening, wish it was a little cooler. I'll let yall know how it goes.
        Good luck!

Comment

Well Im sure you all got the email about no more buck tags... So that is the truth, the 6 bucks tags that were given were filled with 6 spikes... What a waste. Dont get me wrong I understand the importance on shooting spikes, it just seems like in an MLD property they ought to seperate the tags doe, spike, buck. So i guess we wouldnt be able to use our own tags then if a good one walks out? Well good luck to all the rest of the year looks like Ill be out in the next few weeks tryin to drop some does. Keep up the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
            Well Im sure you all got the email about no more buck tags... So that is the truth, the 6 bucks tags that were given were filled with 6 spikes... What a waste. Dont get me wrong I understand the importance on shooting spikes, it just seems like in an MLD property they ought to seperate the tags doe, spike, buck. So i guess we wouldnt be able to use our own tags then if a good one walks out? Well good luck to all the rest of the year looks like Ill be out in the next few weeks tryin to drop some does. Keep up the updates.
            My thoughts exactly. A spike is not a legal buck according to tpwd, and is legal during the special ANTLERLESS season, so why use buck tags for them? You're right, they should differentiate between spikes and bucks with additional tags. Oh well, it doesn't really matter too much to me. I still haven't found a recipe that makes those horns taste good!

Comment

ya, i thought they had alot more tags (13)...i have had pic of a ten and eight point that would score between 100-130ish. The wind hasnt been the best for my setup and i cant change it cause of the tree line. Guess ill have to take out the little does like i did my 1st year when i shot a spike and 4 does.

Comment

Anybody kill any does this weekend?

Comment

I didn't even go this weekend. I probably won't make it out until December since I'm on weekdays in November.

Comment

So, I went out last night and of course what comes mosying out at 6:30? A nice 8 point thats around 14-15 inches. Stops at 25 yards, looks around and walks off. Then what comes out at 6:45???? Another 8 point around 13-14 inches. He decides to take his time, come up and sniff the cedars 9-10 yards away, walk over and eat some corn at 20 yards, then look over at me before he walks off into the trees. Only thing else I saw was a little 4 point.

It's like they always just know when they are safe / not safe. Oh well, at least the deer are moving, I saw some, and hopefully its getting colder soon

Comment

Oh, anyone have any recommendations (good or bad) for processors around here. Here being cedar park, round rock, liberty hill, NW austin area. Only one I have any experience with is Hudson's. Want to give another place a try.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaustin View Post
                        Oh, anyone have any recommendations (good or bad) for processors around here. Here being cedar park, round rock, liberty hill, NW austin area. Only one I have any experience with is Hudson's. Want to give another place a try.
                        Brizendine's in Bertram. They're good and cheap. Just off hwy 29 on the left.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaustin View Post
                          So, I went out last night and of course what comes mosying out at 6:30? A nice 8 point thats around 14-15 inches. Stops at 25 yards, looks around and walks off. Then what comes out at 6:45???? Another 8 point around 13-14 inches. He decides to take his time, come up and sniff the cedars 9-10 yards away, walk over and eat some corn at 20 yards, then look over at me before he walks off into the trees. Only thing else I saw was a little 4 point.

It's like they always just know when they are safe / not safe. Oh well, at least the deer are moving, I saw some, and hopefully its getting colder soon
                          Sorry to hear this, Jmaustin. Same thing at my stand, only 2 legal buck showed up during legal time in past 2 or 3 weeks. Just wondering, where are those does? Maybe because the buck hang around and push does away?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter2009 View Post
                            Brizendine's in Bertram. They're good and cheap. Just off hwy 29 on the left.
                            They wouldnt be one I would recommend. I've heard good things about Mike's in Liberty Hill. They're on Hwy 29. I believe its Mike's Barnyard BBQ. I've never had them process anything. They're BBQ is crap but I've bought some really good meat from them.

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
                              Sorry to hear this, Jmaustin. Same thing at my stand, only 2 legal buck showed up during legal time in past 2 or 3 weeks. Just wondering, where are those does? Maybe because the buck hang around and push does away?
                              Maybe. I did have pics of does during shooting light the evening before I went out. I think my biggest problem is not being able to head out in the mornings yet. I've got pics of does basically every morning where i'm throwing out corn, just nothing in the evening. About to get to start hunting the weekends now with the switch on the 1st so hopefully morning hunts will be good.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions TXB and Genevieve. That's pretty much what I've been hearing on any of the places in the area. No real consensus on whether a place is good or not so good. I'll probably just pic a place and try it out myself, then try out the next one, yada yada and so on.

Any specific cuts you could recommend at either of those places?

Heading out again tonight for my last weekday hunt (till December). Maybe I'll be able to try one of those places in the next couple days.

Comment

Working...
                                X