Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

For the sake of finding a home, fly fishing = "trad" fishing. So this thread is going in the trad section.

A funny thing happend a little over a week or so ago, Chunky and I decided to take up fly fishing. We both researched what rod we should get. We both checked out a few places. We both ended up going to Bass Pro in Katy to pick up a rod/reel. We both had no reel clue of what exactly we were doing. We just knew that we wanted to fish with stick and string. That is, just one stick and one string.

After purchasing our setups, we went home and practiced casting in our yards and then went fishing in the closest pond we had nearby and we both ended up catching our first fish. Mine on a wooly bugger and his on a popper.

Now you might ask "what's so funny about that?" Well, while it seems like we planned to do this together, we had absolutely no clue the other was going through the same paces at the exact same time. So imagine our surprise when I post up a question for the Green Screen and find out the other is doing the exact same thing... learning to fly fish.

So last night, Chunky and I decide to meet up at a small pond up in the Woodlands to do some fishing. The Woodlands has a lot of community ponds and most of them, unlike the ones near my house are very well managed. I chose Alden Woods Park. It was closer to Chunky and from google maps, I could tell it would be a good little body of water to do some practice.

Chunky had his first bass under his belt, and I had a grand total of 3 fish caught out of probably 7 or 8 trips to small lakes/ponds under my belt. I'm telling you, we were the reel deal. I'm pretty sure the outdoor channel would have offered us a contract for fly fishing show right there on the spot. Too bad folks like that don't live in the Woodlands... ore maybe they do.

We hit that little pond pretty hard. Unfortunately, the pond hit back. There were quite a few turtles that would prove to be somewhat annoying. Since I was trying out strike indicators for the first time; I had to deal with these curious buggers coming up to the indicator and pushing it around. My setup was a 5wt with a bead head nymph suspended by a sticky foam indicator about 1.5 ft off the top. I was targeting blue gills and other smaller fish. Chunky was fishing an 8wt with a popper, targeting the bass.

I did end up catching 2 fish. A small Largemouth (my first LM on a fly) that was pure luck and a sizeable gill that was all skill I hooked that gill on the slightest twitch of the indicator. It was no more than a small ripple. The bass however was one of those experiences that everybody has had if you fish long enough. You know, the one where you have a bad cast and then you start messing with your rod or reel trying to straight everything out. You then tug on your line to start the processe over and somehow, while you looked like Bill Dance fumbling around in an blooper reel, you managed to set the hook on a fish and didn't even know it.

Chunky had a great strike on his popper towards the end of the evening. But it was one of those other moments we all experience. The one where you are talking to a buddy or some passer by and the fish strikes hard and you missed it because you weren't paying attention. Kinda like when you are sitting in a blind texting your buddy over on the other side of the lease asking if he is seeing any deer because there aint squat moving over on your side. Then you look up and there is a buck looking at you like "whatcha doing? checking pintrest?"

The two from Alden Woods

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404396728626.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	24313708

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404396758476.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	24313709

Comment

Nice! I look forward to hearing more stories!

Comment

Here is a fly rod for ya! Not sure of the wt, but it is the biggest in the world.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404404735.441283.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	24313718

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404404763.786058.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	24313719

Bisch

Comment

Rooting for Chunky this weekend to land something big. He should have some good opprotunity to land some fat fish using "fat" line.

I'll probably hit a few ponds this weekend myself. The whole family likes to fish and there are some more ponds I'd like to check out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Here is a fly rod for ya! Not sure of the wt, but it is the biggest in the world.

Bisch
            I had heard Big Tex fly fished back in the day Where is that sucker located?

Comment

Port Isabel

Bisch

Comment

First, let me say I have a lot of fun fishing yesterday, even though I totally screwed up when I missed that fish.

I like the analogy that fly fishing is "trad" fishing, and here is why....

It is more about the method, equipment, and style than getting the game.
                It is very hard to do, and requires a lot of practice and patience...no short cut.
                Like traditional bowhunting, every fish regardless of size, becomes a trophy again.

My total is up to 2 small bass, both from my private pond "read high fence fishing" LOL.

It is very exciting when ol' bass takes that top water popper.
                Attached Files

Comment

Aint that the truth. I have taken more pictures of tiny fish in the past week than I have since we took our kiddos fishing for the first time.

Comment

YMCA pond was active tonight. Caught a couple while son was at Tae kwon do.

Probably the smallest bass I have caught.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404437580998.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	24313783

Too small to focus

Comment

Great pics and story!

Comment

Pretty cool!

Comment

That's a wee little one there, Scott!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            That's a wee little one there, Scott!

Bisch
                            Yeah... he put me at 6 1/4 total fish caught with a fly

Comment

I'm gonna have to break out my flyrods, it's been to long since I've flyfished.

Comment

Working...
                              X