Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
    Florida keys.
    Hurricanes and retired people.....NO WAY!

Comment

Hurricanes are part of the coastal life and I want to be a retired person some day!

Comment

I understand.....I’m not saying that retired people are bad but there’s alot of them their is all....Some of the advice above was to go spend some time there and that might be great advice.

Comment

I do spend time there. I fly out the 17th to spend more time there. Liking the area is not the problem at all!

Comment

How do you move away from "home"?

My wife and I moved to VA when I started grad. school there. Then we moved to AR for two years with my first job. We’ve been back in my wife’s home town for about 3 years now. We’re two hours from my mother. Likely we will stay in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If that’s the case, just sit down talk to your family about it, pray about it and then man up with a decision. It’s tough at first but if you’re doing it for the right reason then it’ll all work out.

Comment

Florida keys.
                Those Key deer are tiny... The Keys are beauitful, good luck in your decision!!

Comment

Just go for it man. I grew up in irving, as did my mom. She had lived that 50+ years so it was absolutely home and they up and moved three hours away one day. My brother and I had no idea they were even looking. I moved out of there after 20 years but didn’t get far enough, now I’m about to join my folks and the rest of the family out in the sticks. I’m tired of living in town, tired of people, traffic, the hustle and bustle... I need some peace and quiet. Pray, follow your heart and take the plunge.

Comment

Family is on board, I'm the one feet dragging. Prayer does come first before any action will be taken.

Comment

Home is where the heart is......south Louisiana ! My body must be where I can maximize a living!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                        Home is where the heart is......south Louisiana ! My body must be where I can maximize a living!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I understand that! Thankfully I'm in a spot now that my body can follow my heart.

Comment

I love to travel and do a lot of it. However I've lived in the same area my whole life. I'm well connected here and established. After seeing different parts of the state and country I've realized I live in a very "blaaaaaa" part of Texas. No salt water, no hills/mountains, no clear water, no exotics, no views that make you stop and thank God he has allowed you to experience this spot, no turkey, 1 deer that made the 13" rule since it was instated......how does one just up and move away?

I moved from Louisiana to Texas 11.5 years ago, and the hardest part was leaving family behind.

I miss the fishing on the coast, but the constant having to send my family off when hurricanes called for evacuation just got old. Not to mention never knowing if you'd have a home to go back to after the storm.

So, how did we jump up and move?

First, I had the reason, tired of storms.

Second, had a house to sell that shot up in value after hurricane katrina.

Third, wife is a RN. She was able to get a job almost immediately.

Finally, the city we choose, I did have relatives, so finding the right area to move to and info on the area lessened the learning curve.

I work in IT and thought it was be easy to get a job, but little did I know. The job I found was at a pay cut, and it took about 2 years to find something better. Its taken a while and I feel I'm back on track career wise, but I don't regret moving.

Now with that said, what is it you feel you're missing where you are?

I have to travel an hour or more to get to decent spots to go hunting. Freshwater fishing, I've got close spots to hit, but I much prefer saltwater over fresh. That's a 3 hour drive and not really a trip I enjoy in a single day.

If you're in Bryan TX, you're a stone's throw away from Lake Somerville. Right next to it are two WMAs for bow hunting. And if you head east, you're practically next to Sam Houston Forests. And if you hit Galveston for some saltwater action, you're less than 3 hours away.

Comment

I've made three cross country moves with my family and I'll probably end up moving again some day. I understand how difficult this decision can be. I don't regret any of our moves, but they can be difficult on your family.

I always sat down with my wife and made sure she was 100% on board first. That was the most important thing. After that, it's all logistics and planning. Much simpler than it seems..just need to be organized.

Comment

I moved away from home when I left high school and have been trying to find a way to get back there ever since.

Comment

Just move it’s simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X