Peep to pin relation???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peep to pin relation???

Ashamed to say, I've been shooting a bow for a long time and I have never thought about this until recently when I was setting up my wife's bow. Never really thought about there being any other way than the way I do it.

I can't say either way is "Right or Wrong", but more of a "Do what works for you." Kind of thing.

Take a look at the rudimentary drawing below.
    The top pic is of the sight housing centered in the peep, and the bow is being raised to the corresponding pin for the yardage needed.

The bottom picture is as if you ignored the sight housing as it relates to the peep in order to center the pin needed for the shot, to the center of the peep.

Is there a "right or wrong" way?
    Which do you use?

I can see the top pic as being more accurate and the way you should learn and teach, but I'll be honest, I've never used any other way besides the bottom pic, and I've won several local tournaments this way, which makes me say it's really preference.

Your opinion???

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454867245.472106.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	25079554
    Last edited by Mac...; 02-07-2016, 11:57 AM.

You do get a different outcome in each of these shots.

With my wife's low poundage bow, the top pic hit about 15" low and the the bottom pic hit dead on at 50 yards.

Comment

I've always done option 1. Can't imagine trying to center the pin in the peep when the peep is so close to my eye. Maybe if you use a small diameter peep it would be easier. My peep pretty much fits perfect for my sight. I can center it on the sight housing and just see a little bit of the housing all the way around, so if an area all of a sudden disappeared, i kow i shifted and am off. To each their own, but for me, option 2 would take a lot longer to perfect, but like you, that's just the way I started and stayed

Comment

I can see that.
        I do use a small diameter peep, like a 3/32" I believe.
        Can hardly see my sight housing.

I guess that's what made me think of it in the first place.
        I could see the sight housing in my wife's set up.

Comment

I don't shoot a lot, shame on me. I asked this same question a year or so ago and I think the con census was to center the sight not the pin. I was centering the pin before and saw some improvement when I switched. It did take a little getting used to. When I started shooting there aren't any round sights, they were just flat bars. I did say I didn't shoot a lot, but I've been shooting a long time!

Comment

Top all the way. More or less being consistent. I always try and watch the bubble level on the sight and keep an even area around the sight inside my peep.

Comment

Looking at that bubble is what always screws me up. My eye looks down just enough to see the level and it forces a change. When I look back up I can't see the top of the sight ring, so I adjust, and by then the level is off again. It's a loosing battle for me. Kinda why I like shooting trad so much in the off season... sights and bubbles, etc kinda hack me off. Guess I need to shot more often throughout the year, because come the opportunity to drop a deer, I tend to completely forget the level, just focus on centering the sight.

Comment

I haven't been shooting a bow long enough to have used the older slower bows and really large square pin housing of yesteryear. Too me, option 2 went away over 20 years ago when when bow speed really picked up thusly decreasing pin gap to the point where they could all be viewed as one group inside a standard peep.

Comment

The housing should ALWAYS be centered in the peep. The issue you're having is caused by raising the bow at the shoulder rather than tilting the torso at the waist to raise the bow, same principle as shooting down from a tree stand or downhill. You have to bend at the waist.

Comment

Actually, neither option is wrong.
                    Centering the sight housing usually allows for a larger peep, increasing low light visibility.
                    Centering pins causes a shooter to slightly "float" the anchor.
                    Both can be shot very accurately.
                    I prefer centering the housing myself, allowing me to use a larger peep and increasing low light visibility.
                    Shooters that use a moveable sight, kinda have both, but they are still "floating" their anchor.

Comment

I use to use option 2. Probably because I started shooting before peeps and round sights. I did use option 1 for a year but just was not as accurate as I am with 2. I don't use a peep anymore so it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                        Actually, neither option is wrong.
                        Centering the sight housing usually allows for a larger peep, increasing low light visibility.
                        Centering pins causes a shooter to slightly "float" the anchor.
                        Both can be shot very accurately.
                        I prefer centering the housing myself, allowing me to use a larger peep and increasing low light visibility.
                        Shooters that use a moveable sight, kinda have both, but they are still "floating" their anchor.
                        And, to me anyway, it is easier to teach new archers option 1; and to be accurate and consistent much quicker.

Comment

#1.

#2 is fine if you set you pins to this..... but is assumes that your anchor point is the same every time. This is not always possible with a new shooter, with winter clothing, in a tight blind, or at a tough angle.

Comment

Now you got me thinking. Need to go out back and see what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                              #1.

#2 is fine if you set you pins to this..... but is assumes that your anchor point is the same every time. This is not always possible with a new shooter, with winter clothing, in a tight blind, or at a tough angle.

I center the pin in my sight housing & peep...This is the way that Scott taught me to shoot. Diamond S on TBH....

I didn't even know there was another way.....Interesting!

Comment

Working...
                              X