View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #106
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686 View Post
Beautiful place, and great pics! Looks like you're getting a lot more mass and additional points after a few years of good management. You've got some interesting genetics to work with. What are you planning to do for fall food plotting? Our place is west of Lampasas, and I'm looking to do some similiar things. Our pastures were in bad shape, very compacted soil from decades of grazing with no maintenance. I just got a moldboard plow and turned an acre or two this weekend with some success and am looking forward to seeing if we can get a food plot going. I need to disc the areas I turned and then seed, roll, and pray for rain.
Thanks. We have definitely seen some improvements over the past 4 years due to the protein/cottonseed, but like I mentioned earlier, we are really starting to see some great 2-year olds, which is telling me that the best is yet to come. We are having a guy come out to our place to plant a 4-acre field with wheat, oats and turnips. We are only doing one fall food plot this year to see how it performs. If it does well, then we will add a couple more food plots the following year. We are trying to help the bucks through the rut and post rut so that once they get into the antler growing season, their bodies are in great shape and that all of the nutrients can go to their head gear.

The only problem I see is that we may have too many bucks on our property.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top