Question for Smoking Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Smoking Experts

I'm using pellets in propane twin burner smoker. I get no complaints about flavor or anything, lots of friends say its some of the best they've had. The problem I have is that I can't seem to get a good bark on anything that I smoke and I'm wondering what the reason could be. I usually smoke around 230 degrees, do I need to go hotter? Do I need to go to a stick burner? Looking for advice.

How long do you smoke. What internal temp do you pull the meat off.

Comment

I typically do the 3-2-1, 3 hours exposed to smoke, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour exposed again. I pull at about 165-175

Comment

I have an electric smoker. I don't get the bark that I would like either. Some guys here get decent bark. Maybe they will share their secret.

Comment

I'm no expert but stick burner for bark. I love the convenience of the electric and the flavor is great, wouldn't get rid of mine but I can't get the bark either. About the only downside of it.

Comment

don't foil it. foiling meat is steaming it. that takes the bark away

Comment

I smoke brisket internal temp 195 to 200 in my electric smoker
              Get a pretty good bark but I wish I had more smoke. What brand smoker are you using

Comment

Originally posted by RDT View Post
                I smoke brisket internal temp 195 to 200 in my electric smoker

Get a pretty good bark but I wish I had more smoke. What brand smoker are you using

To get more smoke get an Amazen pellet tube and put it in your smoker.

Comment

I'm running a smoke hollow twin burner smoker modded to include a smoke daddy magnum for extra smoke. The smoke daddy allows me to keep the smoke rolling 6+ hours.

Comment

I have a traeger pellet grill/smoker. I smoke for a few hours then up it to 225° for the rest. Comes out with great burnt ends and great flavor.

Comment

Perhaps it's not getting enough smoke to get a good bark on. Burn more wood and see what happens. Or maybe it's vented to much?
                      My elec gets a good bark.

Comment

I had some brisket this weekend that was done on an electric smoker. It was good but didn't have much bark. I was around the smoker during cooking and it wasn't putting off much smoke, so maybe that's the cause.

LWD

Comment

Its the difference between smoldering smoke and burning smoke. The pellet smokers and smoke sticks like amazen only smolder giving a smoky flavor but will not give the same bark a burning smoke will.

Comment

Never used a pellet or electric anything for BBQ but can tell you that you at least need to loose the foil

Comment

i recently went to the dark side - a pellet cooker
                              when i run it on the High Smoke setting it runs at 225°
                              I also put my A-Maze-N pellet smoker maze down under the drip tray to add smoke to the cook

for years i would wrap my briskets at the stall, at 160°
                              but i never use foil, it just steams the meat
                              my granddads always used brown paper grocery bags from the grocery store
                              they breath better than even the uncoated butcher paper

after reading Aaron Franklin's book, i've decided i'm not going to wrap until the meat hits 170°

after i wrap i put the meat in the oven.
                              it isn't getting any more smoke from the smoker so you are just wasting wood or pellets.

it is said that a good number for brisket is an internal temp of 203°
                              but every brisket is different
                              the pros all have a stainless rod they poke the meat with
                              when it is butter tender with the probe it's finished

with ribs... i don't wrap
                              when the meat starts to pull back from the bones
                              i sauce them
                              when they are toothpick tender by poking between the bones
                              they are done

Comment

Working...
                              X