X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
    I wonder if this will work ;-))

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEL1YMwcSpM
    My guess is yes, but you might need a dolly to carry it to your stand!

Comment

My buddy just called. He took a Savage Model 12 in 300WSM in on trade with a laminate stock. He's giving me 1st dibs [emoji41] I'm going to see it Saturday...

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        For all you guys saying anything in a short action even the 6.5 Creed which seems to be other-worldly, I can't see it.

They will all punch paper much farther than that.

I'm shooting a very high BC 168 grain 7 mag at 3050 fps and consider 7-800 yards it's absolute max. Reason being-Impact velocity. Most bullet manufacture's list 1800 fps as their minimum velocity for reliable expansion...there's no way you can convince me of a 6.5 creed maintaining this...

But what do I know, I've never shot an animal beyond 450...

Additionally, I agree with a post above, you need a .5 MOA rifle out to expected distance and high quality glass to repeatedly do it.

Swap to a Berger. It has a lower working range.

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          Long range hunting bullets:

Hey Ragin, First off Merry Christmas!!!

I know you from some of my other threads.
          Everyone says you're extremely knowledgeable about Broadheads. Which I am insanely jealous of btw [emoji3]

I take your comments seriously just like I do muddyfuzzys' when it come to arrow building.

The thread I linked to recommends to stay away from Berbers...
          I'm in the hunt or a 300WM or 300WSM. See my previous post
          So all this blah blah blah to ask u this? Will you expound on your answer?
          Last edited by Pushbutton2; 12-25-2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Glad I can't see past "maybe" 300 yards....6.5CM

Comment

6.5 cm

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Long range hunting bullets:

Hey Ragin, First off Merry Christmas!!!

I know you from some of my other threads.
                Everyone says you're extremely knowledgeable about Broadheads. Which I am insanely jealous of btw [emoji3]

I take your comments seriously just like I do muddyfuzzys' when it come to arrow building.

The thread I linked to recommends to stay away from Berbers...
                I'm in the hunt or a 300WM or 300WSM. See my previous post
                So all this blah blah blah to ask u this? Will you expound on your answer?

You can find bad experiences with any bullet. But majority results speak for themselves. The deal with Berger is you need the right twist and the ogive on that bullet likes to be closer to the rifling. But like Mike D posted in this thread Long range hunting bullets
                http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=568690 There are more. Personally I like Swifts! I'm not the biggest Barnes fan in the world for whitetail sized critters. That's based on my experiences with em. Which I hated because my 270 shot a 5 shot .293 with em.
                Last edited by JW; 12-25-2015, 09:16 AM.

Comment

That's what I'm shooting now. Very high bc, insanely accurate and are stone cold killers. My only concern is a lack of blood trail if you happen to get an animal to run more than 20 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    That's what I'm shooting now. Very high bc, insanely accurate and are stone cold killers. My only concern is a lack of blood trail if you happen to get an animal to run more than 20 yards.

Not getting an exit?

Comment

You can find bad experiences with any bullet. But majority results speak for themselves. The deal with Berger is you need the right twist and the ogive on that bullet likes to be closer to the rifling. But like Mike D posted in this thread Long range hunting bullets
                      http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=568690 There are more. Personally I like Swifts! I'm not the biggest Barnes fan in the world for whitetail sized critters. That's based on my experiences with em. Which I hated because my 270 shot a 5 shot .293 with em.

What's a good twist rate? Rifle I'm looking at Saturday has a 1:10 per MFR website...

Not sure what ogive is. [emoji19] I'm guessing it's a typo
                      Unfortunately I don't know that much about rifles and bullets yet to be able to cypher it

Comment

Any of this calibers are great but I would stay away from the AR-10. In my opinion they are to big and bulky. I love Remington 700 and have one in 243 that is a tad driver

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

What's a good twist rate? Rifle I'm looking at Saturday has a 1:10 per MFR website...

Not sure what ogive is. [emoji19] I'm guessing it's a typo
                          Unfortunately I don't know that much about rifles and bullets yet to be able to cypher it

No Ogive is a term. Bullet shape. And on twist it depends on what caliber and what grain bullet you want. They have a chart and a calculator for it. And can you shoot 700 yards? Because what you're wanting does not sound like a 700 yard setup.

Comment

No Ogive is a term. Bullet shape. And on twist it depends on what caliber and what grain bullet you want. They have a chart and a calculator for it. And can you shoot 700 yards? Because what you're wanting does not sound like a 700 yard setup.

Can I shoot 700 yards? Not yet [emoji3]
                            I have shot 500 with iron sights in the Marines

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Can I shoot 700 yards? Not yet [emoji3]
                              I have shot 500 with iron sights in the Marines

Whole different deal. You're trying to place a bullet in a few inch circle on an animal. Not hit a torso on a person. You'll be money ahead getting away from these budget rifles if that's what you're wanting to do. Like the upper end Savages.
                              Last edited by JW; 12-25-2015, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Whole different deal. You're trying to place a bullet in a few inch circle on an animal. Not hit a torso on a person. You'll be money ahead getting away from these budget rifles if that's what you're wanting to do. Like the upper end Savages.

I've got my eye on a Savage Model 12 VLP in 300WSM

Will this fit the bill?

Comment

Working...
                                X