No announcement yet.

Brisket smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my stick burner I wrap after about 4 hours. On my BGE, I wrap after about 3 hours. I don't like an overpowering smoke flavor, just a fair amount. Call wrapping the "Texas crutch" if you wish but when I get phone calls to cater parties no one complains that it was wrapped.

To wrap / not wrap
    Fat cap up / down
    Trim / don't trim
    Rest / don't rest
    225* / 250*
    IT / 8 hours [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Those points could be argued until the end of days. Do what makes you happy and what tastes good to you but "cooking" (not smoking) a brisket that stays wrapped 100% of the time isn't smoked. There are just a couple requirements that have to be followed [emoji1303]

Amazon sells the pink butcher paper also [emoji1303]

Comment

I keep an eye on internal temp and foil wrap when it stalls. No stall = no wrap and I have had a few over the years that never stalled. Usually around 6-8 hours in when they stall for me. By then I usually have plenty of smoke and bark. Start checking for butter texture around 190 and pull when probe goes in with very little resistance. Rest in ice chest an hour or so then commence to slicing.....

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
        You're in Katy? Well if you go in to Houston, there's a place called Allied Kenco that sells it and it's waaaaaaay cheaper than that ebay link (even if you pay to have it shipped).

Here ya go: http://www.alliedkenco.com/paper-butcher-18-2-1-2.aspx
        Thanks!

Comment

I wrap after IT hits 170. Usually about 3 hours on the primo. I actually dont wrap I put it in a foil pan and cover with foil. I pull it after it probes like butter which is usually another 4 or 5 hours. It’s a pretty fool proof method and turns out fantastic every time.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
            That would be great if they shipped!
            Do a search on Amazon. I think the roll we got was under 30 bucks.

Comment

I don't wrap my brisket, never have, never needed to. When I bought my house in 2003 there was a brick pit off the front porch. The previous tenant was there and said it was the best pit he had ever used. 15 years later I agree. I dry season, put the brisket on before I go to bed. The next morning I fill the firebox with wood and leave it alone until we are ready. I don't trim them, I don't split them, nothing. I am as spoiled as they come so far as laboring for a brisket.

Comment

Brisket smokers

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
                I wrap after IT hits 170. Usually about 3 hours on the primo. I actually dont wrap I put it in a foil pan and cover with foil. I pull it after it probes like butter which is usually another 4 or 5 hours. It’s a pretty fool proof method and turns out fantastic every time.

Same here. Have have have have to layer a good bark on a brisket. And bark is made by layering smoke combined with the rub and the rendering of the fat to get to it. I’m a believer in wrapping at the stall whether it be butcher paper or foil/pan. That is somewhere between 160 and 170 and every piece of meat is different. But the bark has to be right before I do so.

Trim, kosher/coarse black pepper overnight. Fatcap down..250-275 to 160-170 internal when the bark is right then wrap ... start probing at 198 internal for hot knife through butter tenderness and usually finish at 200-202. Rest 1-2 hours and pull out. Separate point from flat, slice the flat and the good part of the point and chop the rest..... or chop the whole thing. Slap yo momma...

Last edited by Smart; 03-16-2018, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  My butcher paper came from Amazon.

I will wrap the brisket in the butcher paper once the internal temp hits 165 F. Then I place it in one of those aluminum turkey pans. That seems to usually take place anywhere from 4.5 to 6 hours in. Then you slowly bring your prize to 205F - 210F. You want to rest it for an hour or better inside on the counter top.

Comment

I usually smoke mine fat side down for at least 6 hours before I wrap mine.

This site is something I’ve found to be very helpful when it comes to BBQ.

Behold the best smoked brisket recipe ever! Texas style brisket is more than a recipe, it is a concept and a goal. It all begins by selecting the right meat, trimming it, seasoning it, smoking it, slicing it, and more. Follow this easy BBQ brisket guide for mouthwatering results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fat cap up, low and slow, no wrap. Only time I use the Texas crutch is if Im in a time crunch and need to push past the stall and shorten cooking time

If you're cooking hot you'll want fat cap down to protect the meat from burning otherwise low temp you typically see fat cap up and the fat will render through the meat keeping it moist over the longer cook.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I never wrap. Fat cap up for the first half, then down after temp hits around 145 to act as a bit of a heat barrier so mest doesnt heat up too fast.

Comment

Had a cousin that had a rotisserie style smoker that he could do 10-12 on at a time. He would smoke uncovered and pull. Then he would put them in black trash bags and let them steep in coolers for 2 hours. They were always consistently excellent. Also his rotisserie smoker was electronically controlled for temperature. That might have had something to do with it as well.

Comment

All great comments

Comment

I smoke mine for about 3-4 hours then wrap in brown paper bag then foil and finish cooking. Then let is rest 30 min after. Its how I was shown and works great for me so I stick to it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                                otherwise low temp you typically see fat cap up and the fat will render through the meat keeping it moist over the longer cook.

With all due respect this is a pure myth.

The fat on the outside of meat does not melt and penetrate the muscle fibers making the meat moister. That is a myth. Here's the science on different types of fat, what happens as fat heats and melts, and the best way to trim meats before cooking to create the most delicious browned bark or crust.

I do fatcap down myself because it yields a prettier and heavier bark on the flat. No grate marks and the smoke layers better when gravity helps it lay on top.

Comment

Working...
                                X