No announcement yet.

Brisket smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have to wrap ? That's the question.
    Is it going to dry out? Or do you wrap because you always have?
    I haven't wrapped a brisket pork butt since I started cooking on my Kamado Big Joe. They seem to cook a little faster than stick pits but I don't really think it would matter . Cook one without wrapping in at least until you let it rest( I still do) and see if dries out. If it does make chopped beef.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Wrap it in regular brown butcher paper, doesnt steam it like foil, but holds moisture like foil.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
        That would be great if they shipped!
        You're in Katy? Well if you go in to Houston, there's a place called Allied Kenco that sells it and it's waaaaaaay cheaper than that ebay link (even if you pay to have it shipped).

Here ya go: http://www.alliedkenco.com/paper-butcher-18-2-1-2.aspx
        Last edited by sir shovelhands; 03-15-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I don't wrap at all and never noticed any dryness. If your going to wrap I suggest wrapping in butcher paper around 165 degrees or so. Wrapping for the entire cook makes absolutely zero sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
            Do you have to wrap ? That's the question.
            Is it going to dry out? Or do you wrap because you always have?
            I haven't wrapped a brisket pork butt since I started cooking on my Kamado Big Joe. They seem to cook a little faster than stick pits but I don't really think it would matter . Cook one without wrapping in at least until you let it rest( I still do) and see if dries out. If it does make chopped beef.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
            Hmm, that would ignore brisket to brisket comparisons. We need someone to butcher a cow and smoke both briskets, one wrapped, one not. And then invite all of us over. For science.

Comment

If you were to wrap it the entire time you might as well put it in the oven and roast it because that is exactly what it would be ....a blah roast. They don't call it smoking for nothing....and to smoke the smoke has to get to the meat.

Comment

I wrap in foil after around 4 hours on the Backwoods smoker (usually 160-165 temp). But I've always had to take it out and then unwrap in order for the bark to firm up. A local bbq place (The Brisket House) does the butcher paper wrap and their brisket is excellent...I'm going to try that next time.

Comment

Wrap it with butcher paper (unwaxed is better, but waxed is OK) for the last 3-4 hours while on the smoker.

Then, when you get it off the smoker, wrap it with foil and let it rest for an hour or so before you eat it. Same idea as resting a steak for a few minutes before you eat it, just a lot longer cause it's a big-*** brisket.

Works like a charm for me.

Comment

i wrap mine in butcher paper when it hits 165. put it fat side down and cook till tender.

Comment

Parchment paper works well too. If you cannot find butcher paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        If you were to wrap it the entire time you might as well put it in the oven and roast it because that is exactly what it would be ....a blah roast. They don't call it smoking for nothing....and to smoke the smoke has to get to the meat.
                        His screenname is "bakin" :shrugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Bingo!

Comment

Brisket wrap

I made that mistake of wrapping my last one the whole time. All I got was a 7-8 lb chunk of meat that was terrible. Gave it to neighborhood dogs. They haven't been back. I don't think they cared for it either.

Comment

Last time I did one I wrapped it in foil after it was just about done. Wrapped it and dropped it into an empty ice chest for an hour to rest. We have a 1000 foot roll of butcher paper that we bought for wrapping our deer and hog. Might just have to go buy a smoker and try the paper-wrap.

Comment

Wrap mine the last few hours and pour on homemade grape wine.

Comment

Working...
                                X