No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sows on granger usually produce 2 litters a year, we should start finding nests and babies soon..feb-mar, is when we usually catch them from the sow, she will run out of a briar patch usually by her self and hesitate just a little about leaving them behind, that's when u look for the piglets.....they will not protect their babies from people on granger she will flee and just have another litter. i tried to put piglets in my cargo pant pockets one year to get the pigs to come after me, after i took a step each piglet would squeal. didn't work...

Comment

Anyone remember the dates they heli shot last year??? Seems like they are getting smarter and doing it earlier cause its less green.

Comment

i think it was the first or second week in feb..........maybe we go back look at posts from feb last year...

Comment

helo flew last year on 22 feb, i looked at last years posts....

Comment

I saw a picture of the help taken on the 26th. So somewhere in that span.
            When was ranger hunt??

Comment

Looked it up. Ranger hunt was 15-17yh last year. Should make for a little more challenging ranger hunt if they shoot next week

Does anyone know or been on a heli hunt? Do they bother to hunt and shoot into wooded areas?? How do they get the pigs to the fields?

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                Looked it up. Ranger hunt was 15-17yh last year. Should make for a little more challenging ranger hunt if they shoot next week

Does anyone know or been on a heli hunt? Do they bother to hunt and shoot into wooded areas?? How do they get the pigs to the fields?
                They turn on a siren most of the time and fly low of the thick stuff and pretty much herd them to the fields so they have an open shot. I hate to see all that pork wasted...might have to take the boat out next week. A few years ago they flew the day it snowed out there I have never heard so many shots on my life. blasted the pc and around 7

Comment

Going tomorrow in the morning if anyone is up to go hopefully we get rain so stalking them won't be so load.

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
                    Going tomorrow in the morning if anyone is up to go hopefully we get rain so stalking them won't be so load.
                    NavyChief and I will be out tomorrow morning most likely. I'll PM you if it comes together and we can join forces.

Sorry I couldn't make it this morning, Chris. I had brunch commitments with the wifey I forgot about.

Comment

Yeah the helis circled the prim camp a few times. One got pretty low, but I think it was just people joy riding. It almost seemed like they were joy riding, but also looking to see if anyone was camping. They circled one area a few times. Maybe they were trying to hint at pigs in that area, but who knows... They definitely weren't shooting. One was an open style. It had to be cold with the wind in that chopper!

Comment

Carnage! Contributes to the blood on the thread! Nice sized pig too. TPWD may not need the heli hunt if the Thread Brothers keep this up.

How far did you have to track it?

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                          Carnage! Contributes to the blood on the thread! Nice sized pig too. TPWD may not need the heli hunt if the Thread Brothers keep this up.

How far did you have to track it?
                          It ran about 80 yards. When I saw the blood on the grass I looked ahead and saw movement, 30 yards away there it was. I watched him for about 30 seconds before he died.

Comment

Heading out to granger for a cold morning. Probably park at 6 and begin the wandering. There is 3 of us so far. Anyonne want to join up is welcome. My radio will be on channel 1.
                            Greg.

Comment

Good Luck... Looks like a North wind !

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                                sows on granger usually produce 2 litters a year, we should start finding nests and babies soon..feb-mar, is when we usually catch them from the sow, she will run out of a briar patch usually by her self and hesitate just a little about leaving them behind, that's when u look for the piglets.....they will not protect their babies from people on granger she will flee and just have another litter. i tried to put piglets in my cargo pant pockets one year to get the pigs to come after me, after i took a step each piglet would squeal. didn't work...
                                That sounds pretty fun. I wouldn't mind catching a bunch and feeding them out.

Comment

Working...
                                X