Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TBH Video Journal - Ep. 19 - "Chili for Breakfast" (The Deer Camp Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always had a feeling that I was being watched at the MMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

I don't generally eat chili for breakfast. The coworkers don't appreciate what the beans do to me...

(Runs for cover)

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        I'm pretty much speechless after watching that...this video sums up what going "hunting" means to me...making lifelong memories. Thanks for taking the time to film and produce these videos, Michael. Looking forward to the next episode! [emoji1474]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Thanks!
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Well done Michael!

Comment

I have a little input on the MMR. It might get lengthy...
            I was hesitant to take up the bow for years. I was a gun hunter and didn't really understand why anyone, that wasn't a felon, would have any desire to hunt deer with a bow? A guy I met on a fishing forum told me how much he enjoyed bow hunting and how he really had no desire to hunt with a gun. Another guy, I met on a lease I was on, was upgrading his bow and insisted I should buy his old one. He'd been trying all season long to talk me into trying out the whole bow hunting thing. He told me he'd sell me his ready to hunt bow for $50 if id just give it a try. I figured I might as well give it a shot. I could always sell the bow if I didn't like it, and probably make a profit?
            I bought the bow, took it home and put it in the closet. It stayed there for some time until I finally decided to get it out one day and shoot it. Keep in mind, I knew ZERO about a bow! I did manage to figure out how to clip the release on and attach an arrow to the string. I didn't know what I was supposed to do with all of those pins, but I set up some sort of target and launched an arrow that general direction.
            Well, that didn't go so well. I will leave that part of the story right there and just say I put the bow back in the closet with no real intention of trying to shoot it again!
            That following winter, I got an invite from that guy I met on the fishing forum. He explained he had an opportunity for me to tag along on a hunt outside of Cotulla. I explained I wasn't a bow hunter and would only consider going if he could get approval for me to take my rifle. "Larry" said he'd ask, but assured me he could get my bow set up and have me shooting well enough to hunt in no time. I thought he was crazy, but reluctantly accepted the invite.
            We drove down to Cotulla and stayed in a dive of a motel. I wondered what I was getting myself into. We made it out to the ranch and Larry got me set up, just as he said he would. I was really amazed at how easy he made learning to fling arrows!
            When the time to hunt rolled around, he told me we'd be hunting a blind called the Hubble. He explained it was made from an old satellite dish, hence the name. We got all settled in and in no time we had deer or a deer in front of us. I don't remember if she was solo or not, but I had the green light to shoot!
            I'd read the magazines and watched the shows, for years, about hunting in South Texas. I never thought I'd get a chance to do so, and never in my life would I have imagined hunting there with a bow! After all, didn't you need tall trees and some sort of weird stand that strapped on your feet while you made your way up that tree, to be able to bow hunt?
            Back inside Hubble, Larry coached me and videoed, as I took my first shot at a deer on my first hunt with a bow. He whispered, "aim low". He'd drilled this in my head during practice, explaining how deer would often duck when the arrow was released. "aim low" I heard as I drew the arrow back. When it came time to release, my tunnel vison had kicked in and all of those years of putting the crosshairs where you want the bullet to go won out. I released the arrow with the pin settled dead on the vitals! Just as he had warned, the doe ducked down in some sort of matrix move and the arrow sailed right over her back!
            What a rush! Even more, he got it on video!
            It's hard to know, but I wonder if I'd still be bow hunting now, if my first experience hadn't been at the MMR with one of the guys that got his chance on one of the early "Charity Hunts"?
            I didn't get a deer that first season with my bow, but learned a lot on that hunt and in the year to come from a guy that has been my "bow mentor" ever since. When the next season rolled around, I stuck my first doe on my lease outside of Cisco. I owe it all to Larry and the generosity of The Boss for allowing him to take a newb along with him to the infamous MMR!

Comment

Great stuff Michael and Tim^^^

So neat to hear where inspiration comes from.

Comment

Very nice video, Michael, you captured the comradiere and the around the campfire scene. Great job!

Comment

I think I have watched all your videos over the past few months. This is probably the best simply because the old TBH pics and stories from the MMR is what made me pick up a bow for the very first time. Thanks for taking us along...really enjoyed it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                    I have a little input on the MMR. It might get lengthy...
                    I was hesitant to take up the bow for years. I was a gun hunter and didn't really understand why anyone, that wasn't a felon, would have any desire to hunt deer with a bow? A guy I met on a fishing forum told me how much he enjoyed bow hunting and how he really had no desire to hunt with a gun. Another guy, I met on a lease I was on, was upgrading his bow and insisted I should buy his old one. He'd been trying all season long to talk me into trying out the whole bow hunting thing. He told me he'd sell me his ready to hunt bow for $50 if id just give it a try. I figured I might as well give it a shot. I could always sell the bow if I didn't like it, and probably make a profit?
                    I bought the bow, took it home and put it in the closet. It stayed there for some time until I finally decided to get it out one day and shoot it. Keep in mind, I knew ZERO about a bow! I did manage to figure out how to clip the release on and attach an arrow to the string. I didn't know what I was supposed to do with all of those pins, but I set up some sort of target and launched an arrow that general direction.
                    Well, that didn't go so well. I will leave that part of the story right there and just say I put the bow back in the closet with no real intention of trying to shoot it again!
                    That following winter, I got an invite from that guy I met on the fishing forum. He explained he had an opportunity for me to tag along on a hunt outside of Cotulla. I explained I wasn't a bow hunter and would only consider going if he could get approval for me to take my rifle. "Larry" said he'd ask, but assured me he could get my bow set up and have me shooting well enough to hunt in no time. I thought he was crazy, but reluctantly accepted the invite.
                    We drove down to Cotulla and stayed in a dive of a motel. I wondered what I was getting myself into. We made it out to the ranch and Larry got me set up, just as he said he would. I was really amazed at how easy he made learning to fling arrows!
                    When the time to hunt rolled around, he told me we'd be hunting a blind called the Hubble. He explained it was made from an old satellite dish, hence the name. We got all settled in and in no time we had deer or a deer in front of us. I don't remember if she was solo or not, but I had the green light to shoot!
                    I'd read the magazines and watched the shows, for years, about hunting in South Texas. I never thought I'd get a chance to do so, and never in my life would I have imagined hunting there with a bow! After all, didn't you need tall trees and some sort of weird stand that strapped on your feet while you made your way up that tree, to be able to bow hunt?
                    Back inside Hubble, Larry coached me and videoed, as I took my first shot at a deer on my first hunt with a bow. He whispered, "aim low". He'd drilled this in my head during practice, explaining how deer would often duck when the arrow was released. "aim low" I heard as I drew the arrow back. When it came time to release, my tunnel vison had kicked in and all of those years of putting the crosshairs where you want the bullet to go won out. I released the arrow with the pin settled dead on the vitals! Just as he had warned, the doe ducked down in some sort of matrix move and the arrow sailed right over her back!
                    What a rush! Even more, he got it on video!
                    It's hard to know, but I wonder if I'd still be bow hunting now, if my first experience hadn't been at the MMR with one of the guys that got his chance on one of the early "Charity Hunts"?
                    I didn't get a deer that first season with my bow, but learned a lot on that hunt and in the year to come from a guy that has been my "bow mentor" ever since. When the next season rolled around, I stuck my first doe on my lease outside of Cisco. I owe it all to Larry and the generosity of The Boss for allowing him to take a newb along with him to the infamous MMR!
                    Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    I think I have watched all your videos over the past few months. This is probably the best simply because the old TBH pics and stories from the MMR is what made me pick up a bow for the very first time. Thanks for taking us along...really enjoyed it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                    Awesome! Thanks for sharing what impact the MMR and our hunts had on your own bowhunting beginnings!
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great video as always

Comment

Thanks Hunter!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

Cooked up some of the duck tonight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1482390185.771849.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	24477347

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1482390197.039262.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	24477348

Decided to turn it into my next Video Journal entry. I'll post it tomorrow.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Cooked up some of the duck tonight!

[ATTACH]831786[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]831787[/ATTACH]

Decided to turn it into my next Video Journal entry. I'll post it tomorrow.

Mmmmmmm. Duck! Can't wait to see if it was tasty or not! [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Side note: That is not normal for a flare, the oil dump got stuck closed/filled up/ and sent raw oil out to the flare and thats why the smoke. Hopefully they got to it before it started raining fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X