Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoseyWales82 View Post

Seems like more of a "looks cool" then practicality. (Which I'm not against by any means) I mean why have molle webbing everywhere? to attach things? like what?

Just for the record, I think the tactical look is bad ***.
    I’ll snap some pics later but I use the MOLLE on the sides of my GR0 for a water bottle pouch (doubles as a bag for snacks and fuel stuffs when I use a bladder) and also my first aid/foot care kit.

Comment

I do the same with my packs too. 30L for the day stuff described(and some quick summer time overnighters). 65L for multi-day trips.

Seems like more of a "looks cool" then practicality. (Which I'm not against by any means) I mean why have molle webbing everywhere? to attach things? like what?

Just for the record, I think the tactical look is bad ***.
      I agree they are cool packs. And versatile.

But when it comes to distance and weight distribution.....
      You know, I used to roll my eyes at "tacticool" stuff. But the truth is, alot of the tacticool labels are born out of the people who buy stuff for lools over function.

The truth is, these things are functional. They are functional in ways your other packs are not. I know this because I own and use them too.

Lightweight packs are designed for specific gear. Packs made of Cordura 1000 and rely on heavy stiching and rigid framing are designed for different gear. I would never load up my osprey 45 with my loppers, makita tools, wire, and bolts and hump the mile to a new stand location... but have no problem stuffing a bag, clothes, alcohol stove, and freeze dried food in one.

Different tools for different things.

For heavy weight, I uses a suspension pack. But you wpuld be surprised to know how much weight you can tolerate with a simple backpack made to handle the weight from a stiching standpoint and proper loading.

And one final note... MOLLE is friggin awesome. Once you get familiar with its versatility... you will wish most things had MOLLE.

So... again... different tools for different jobs, and many of us are diverse in our outdoor endeavors.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's how I have my GR0 rigged with a water bottle pouch and my IFAK.

Water bottle pouch

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6715.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	24526606

IFAK

Name:	IMG_4213.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	24526607

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
          Yes please fill me in on the 5.11 packs!!! Look good and affordable via Amazon but I know nothing about how to compare which packs are worth a dern.
          Honestly, I love the Rush 12 for rucking. Wouldn't want bigger, nor smaller. Has held up 8 months with likely over 800+ miles with loads of 30 to 40 lbs.

Took it to Spain and was just the ok size for a under seat bag. I had it stuffed full which made it tight... loosely packed it was pefect. Fit my laptop, etc.

A 24 would be too big to get good compact loading and smaller I dont think you could get to high of a weight if you wanted to heavy ruck (30+)

But these are just my opinions based on my limited time doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            You know, I used to roll my eyes at "tacticool" stuff. But the truth is, alot of the tacticool labels are born out of the people who buy stuff for lools over function.

The truth is, these things are functional. They are functional in ways your other packs are not. I know this because I own and use them too.

Lightweight packs are designed for specific gear. Packs made of Cordura 1000 and rely on heavy stiching and rigid framing are designed for different gear. I would never load up my osprey 45 with my loppers, makita tools, wire, and bolts and hump the mile to a new stand location... but have no problem stuffing a bag, clothes, alcohol stove, and freeze dried food in one.

Different tools for different things.

For heavy weight, I uses a suspension pack. But you wpuld be surprised to know how much weight you can tolerate with a simple backpack made to handle the weight from a stiching standpoint and proper loading.

And one final note... MOLLE is friggin awesome. Once you get familiar with its versatility... you will wish most things had MOLLE.

So... again... different tools for different jobs, and many of us are diverse in our outdoor endeavors.

Ok, Agreed. I can see the reasoning when carry loppers and heavy tools. This need for thicker material makes sense. I especially like the ruck that allows for the deer carcass that someone posted earlier.

Comment

10.05 miles in 3:41:12 (Obligatory Starbucks stop) at 50# this morning.

It was kinda cold. Espresso helps.
              Last edited by 1369; 01-13-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                10.05 miles in 3:41:12 (Obligatory Starbucks stop) at 50# this morning.

It was kinda cold. Espresso helps.

Comment

Some of today’s work.

Name:	3C08D43F-7F9B-452A-A4BE-2375CC26BFE6.jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	24526748

Comment

Got in a few miles here and there at the lease between hunts and 5 miles just now... puts me at 101 for the first 2 weeks!

Patch was waiting for me when I got home.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      Got in a few miles here and there at the lease between hunts and 5 miles just now... puts me at 101 for the first 2 weeks!

Patch was waiting for me when I got home.

Hey, only 900 more to go!

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                        Hey, only 900 more to go!
                        Ha!

Yeah, 10% doesn't sound like much.

Comment

I really like the all the hiking and mileage that I see getting cranked out. I've read this thread and others like it from Swamprabbit in past. (The ruck fishing trip was awesome)

I'll never understand why people use a "rucksack" instead of a backpacking pack. The backpacks offered by osprey, Gregory, arcteryx, etc, are awesome. Years of research from thru hikers. Super lite and designed to minimize wear and tear on your body. So you are ready for the next day.

I guess I understand (or maybe I don't) that guys from the military want to use a product that they are familiar with. I understand that the "ruck" backpacks are made from a thicker material, hence maybe more reliable in the long run.(durability) But youre not getting shot at and its not a life or death situation if your pack gets a hole in it.(Osprey has a life time warranty, small hole, send it back)

So I guess my questions is......

Why not use the best gear available for your task?
                          I don’t think those packs would hold up like a good military grade ruck. My kids carry their books to school in them, they are made for a different purpose.

My GORUCK ruck is very heavy duty, with handles that I can use it to swing the weight for a workout. Thrusters, ruck swings like a kettle bell, etc.

I started with a used Marine Corp ruck from eBay and its pretty good, but nothing compared to the construction and durability of a GORUCK product.

Jmho.

Comment

Ok, Agreed. I can see the reasoning when carry loppers and heavy tools. This need for thicker material makes sense. I especially like the ruck that allows for the deer carcass that someone posted earlier.
                            I train with 12” x 16” x 5/8” steel plates at about 35lbs each, I think it would eat through the lighter bags.
                            Last edited by flatlander; 01-15-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

gonna have to start on this...

Comment

Well... nothing like rucking in an ice storm... got in 5 miles... the last 3 of them with heavy sleet. Wanted 6 or 7... but the sidewalks were icing up and getting too slippery

Comment

Working...
                                X