Old model 700 redo (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old model 700 redo (pic heavy)

I inherited my grandpa's 60's era Remington model 700 30-06 maybe 20 years ago. I have loved to shoot it but outside of a cheap simmons scope I have not done a thing to it. I have started a low end redo. So far I have replaced the trigger with a timney and started the refinish of the walnut stock. I plan on a new butt pad, new sling, and maybe bed the stock and add some new nicer glass down the road.

The trigger was fairly straight forward although I did have to dremel a little out for the safety to function.

I used Birchwood Casey 3 part kit to work on the stock and was very pleased. I decided not to stain it as I was happy with the color of the wood and did not want to go too dark. I used citrus strip to take off the old finish and it was very easy and mild to work with. The first coat I wrapped in plastic and let sit overnight. I had to apply twice to get all the old finish off. I strongly recommend a stripper wash and stiff plastic bristle brush to clean all the checkering.

The prep work was mainly sanding. It didn't have too many dents and i was fine leaving a little character. This was a test of patience for sure. I ended up with 5 coats of the tru oil and waited 1 or 2 days in between coats lighting sand in between. I only did the checkering on the last coat.

I plan to let it cure for 1 more week before I apply the sheen conditioner as I don't prefer the gloss finish. Any input is appreciated on the sheen conditioner. The after pictures don't do it it justice and the glare makes it difficult to photograph.

I'll post more pics when I'm done and have it back together.

Looking pretty good so far

Comment

Looks good

Comment

I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice

Comment

Cool deal. Diggin' it so far.

Comment

Great project
              I have an early 70's 700 that has been dependable all these years.
              I bought a B&C stock but Shoujd have refinished the old one. Wished it was a lighter kicker but if I want to sure nuff kill something way out there, I grab that 7 mag.
              Have fun with the old gun.

Comment

I bet this ends well. Looks great so far.

Comment

Looking great

Comment

FYI, for those dents in the wood. Use a wet rag and an iron. Wet the dented spot. Lay a wet rag over the area. Roll an iron , back and forth across the dent. The heat will pull the dent up. The old girl is looking good.

Comment

Those old Remingtons are amazing guns. Still have my dads 7 mag in the gun safe. Haven't used a gun in almost 17 years of bow hunting, but if I ever did. She would be the one...

Comment

Coming along very nicely. I think you have just convinced me to do the same to mine. I have a 1960's model 700 that I got from my dad, and it could really use a good make-over. Yours turned out great.

Comment

Looking good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh wow. Looking great.

Comment

Finally got around to adding the new whiteline butt pad and new sling. The butt pad is the same version just a new one! I would have sanded it down before refinishing the stock if I had a do over. I bought a cheap stationary belt/disc sander combo at harbor freight and 120 grit did the job. I have a few places where i need to touch up the stock because the sand paper went through the masking tape.

The sling is $20 off Amazon and is perfect for what I wanted. It looks worn but is brand new. Here is the link.

Nohma Leather https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018CUSKDS..._JzU2tDyiNywaL

Comment

Working...
                              X