JD Murphree alligator hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.. We are super exited about it.
    Do you usually skin the gator at the WMA or take it somewhere?.
    I skinned mine there on a picnic table. There are a couple of YouTube videos on how to skin a gator with compressed air. It works! Saves a whole lot of back breaking labor.

After it's skinned, the easiest way to get the flesh off the hide is with a pressure washer. Just do it away from the house. Bits of meat go flying everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
      I've heard that exaggeration before too. It's not true. The mosquitoes rarely grow bigger than the size of a man's fist.

Having duck hunted there frequently, I can say that fist size is about average. Only the trophy breeding ones get larger than that. I highly recommend the Sawyer’s lotion. It was WAY more effective than Off!

Good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally think it's easier to skin an alligator than a deer. Alligator skin is tough so you don't have to worry about making holes in the hide. I think the skinner that's close charges approximately $10/foot. Plus they salt and bag it.

Comment

I think I'll try the skinning. I guess first we need to get a gator!.
          Chicken is getting "ready"...

Comment

Hopefully things pick up for you guys, our hunt started yesterday and we got back this afternoon. I don't know what the final tally for the hunt was, but I didn't see many gators being brought in, and our group only got one yesterday using archery equipment. The two lines we set overnight didn't produce. One was knocked down with bait missing, but no gator. Fun hunt though, would give it another shot for sure.

Comment

We went three-for-three on alligators we had a 6-foot 8 and 7 foot 1 and a 9 foot 8

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

pics

Comment

Congratulations!.. Any last minutes tips?... My chicken should be ready now!... Looking forward to tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtfish View Post
                    We went three-for-three on alligators we had a 6-foot 8 and 7 foot 1 and a 9 foot 8

That’s awesome, congrats! What compartment did they put y’all in? All on hook and line?

Comment

south of 6

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtfish View Post
                        south of 6

The big channel south of 6? Man, we were assigned the outside canals of 5 and 6 and only saw the one small gator I shot.

Comment

We had a great hunt. Arrived on Saturday for the orientation. Headed out to our spot around 1:30pm. All the kids were hunting the lost lake area.
                          We were assigned the first channel out of the launch location.
                          We saw 6 or so small gators in the first section of our area. We went a head and selected one spot. We located another spot, at a bend, where there seem to be a lot of traffic but no gators. On the way back we notice that our first line was already down and a small gator had it is mouth. Went to shore and waited for an hour.
                          After coming back, the bait was in the water, but not eaten. So we reset the bait a little higher (about a foot of the water) and went to check the other site. Nothing the first night.
                          Next morning we got our boat at around 6:30am, and headed to our area. We were in the water around 7, and the first set was down. Pulled the line until we found a gator!. This was a 6' 11" female gator. The kids and I were very excited.
                          Left the set in place, just in case we needed to relocated our second set.

We arrived at the second set, and it was also down. This set had a lot more line than the first one. The gator manage to go to the other side of the bank and wrap itself around reeds and vegetation. It took a lot of effort to get it out. Finally, we were able to get it to the side of the boat and my son took a shoot, a lot of water splash on this one!. A 8' 3" male gator was down.!'
                          In all a great adventure with 2 gators!.

Comment

Here are the gators.
                            Attached Files

Comment

We went 3 for 3 on the hunt this past Thurs-Fri. 6'2, 7'2, and 10'6. Here's the big one.

Comment

nice catches, good day of fishing when everyone goes home with a gator.

Comment

Working...
                                X