No announcement yet.

Entry Level Long Range Optic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy once, cry once has always been my motto. However, I would recommend a Leupold 4.5-14 with the CDS dial and that will be all the scope you need, now or 20 years from now.
    You don't need to spend $1500 plus on a scope but you need to spend more than $200. With your budget I think you can get where you need to be and not ever feel like you need to upgrade from an entry level to something more expensive.

Comment

WyoBull

Like your thinking. I just bought an 6.5 Grendel AR upper and a Leupold MarkIV 4.5x14 for a friend of mine to get him started. The scope was $750 with shipping which I thought wasn't bad. With that you get is a pretty well proven scope with a great warranty. It should last his lifetime.

Comment

If you are looking for a true LR scope in that price-range, you aren't going to find many solid options and I'd probably take Leupold out of your consideration set. Your budget is putting you right under some good options though, and adding a couple hundred bucks or going used will get you to a better place. If the scope won't do what its supposed to do, then the rifle won't be able to do what its supposed to do and if the rifle won't do what its supposed to do, then you can't do what your supposed to do. This stuff is supposed to be fun, but the fun stops quickly when a piece of equipment hinders your success.

You don't have to spend anywhere near 2K on glass, but repeatability and dependability usually start just North of $800 if you choose carefully. IMO, your primary requirement for an entry level LR scope should be consistent tracking first and foremost with a useable reticle coming in a close second. Glass doesn't need to be exceptional, just good enough to get the job done. A zero stop is nice, but the rest is just window dressing on entry level models. You'll see a lot of scopes in your stated budget that seem to have it all and then some, but they'll usually fall short on requirement #1.

The Bushnell mentioned above has a proven track record. Knowing Meopta, their new scopes also mentioned will probably be solid as well. The Vortex Gen 2 PST seems to be a popular choice in that range as well as the Burris offering. All are going to be just slightly above your budget, though. I'm sure there are several others in that range I can't think of right now. The only one that comes to mind that ABSOLUTELY TRACKS in the under $600 range is the SWFA 3-15........but it is SFP. The Athlon ARES BTR is well under your budget right now and has proven to be a serviceable option as an entry level scope that actually does have a big feature set. Proving that sometimes spending more doesn't get you more. Along those same lines..............

I just spent the morning behind six brand new Leupold VX5-HD scopes. I think I walked away with a better understanding of why we hear so many different viewpoints on quality now. They were literally ALL DIFFERENT! They ranged from pretty nice to almost falling apart right out of the box. I didn't have the time or desire to do any formal tracking tests, but 2 were obviously off by some degree, and one was a flat out joke. To be fair, that one had a parallax knob that clicked with rotation along with the image changing size while adjusting it(that's a new one on me), and the windage knob had enough slop it looked like it was trying to come off. Another had a significant reticle shift when changing power. The other 2 seemed to be acting like they should, but I wonder if they would pass a tall target test based on all the other observations? So, a 60% failure rate would be hard to recommend to someone at that price point. Question for the Leupold guys - are the product lines under the VX-5 line performing any better?

Comment

Not 600 but got a VX-6HD 3-18x44 tmoa illuminated blemished for around $875. Sometimes great deals are out there but have to jump when you find them. Never could find the blemish but saved a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
            I just purchased a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor and putting a Boyd Thumbhole on it.

Hoping to start doing some long range target shooting out to 700-800 yards on our deer lease.

What is an entry level long range scope with adjustable turrets and possibly an IOS APP that is designed for the brand of scope?

Preferably 44mm-50mm and up to 24x or larger.

Kicker is - trying to keep it under $600 with scope and rings...

Any recommendations is much appreciated!!

Depends, Do you understand MOA or mill's,? if not get a second focal cds scope. If you do, Athalon make's nice stuff, as well as swfa.

Comment

Man so much info here it’s overwhelming lol but I appreciate everyone’s help.

What’s best for a beginning FFP or Second Focal Plan?

Idk what the heck it even means.

I’m about a new and fresh this that I can be so all info and opinions are much appreciated and considered.

Comment

One of the Vortex Vipers would be my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                  Man so much info here it’s overwhelming lol but I appreciate everyone’s help.

What’s best for a beginning FFP or Second Focal Plan?

Idk what the heck it even means.

I’m about a new and fresh this that I can be so all info and opinions are much appreciated and considered.

I shoot SFP and Haven’t had any issues.

FFP has a laser etched reticle in the glass it’s self so when you have a reticle that has windage and elevation marks for shoot long distance it will be true at all magnification values. The down side is as you increase magnification the size of the reticle will apear larger.

SFP your windage and elevation values built into the reticle will only be true on one magnification value. This is basically all typical hunting scopes.
                  The reticle is always the same size.

If your going to be shooting PRS style matches you should consider a FFP reticle that has multiple hash marks measuring drop and windage. Also be sure that your scope has MOA/MoA or MIL/MIL reticle to turrets.

I’ve had good luck with the cheaper vortex vipers the they track well and glass is pretty dang clear.

Comment

Also are you looking at shooting steel plates or actual shooting precision groups on paper?

To me paper groups you need a much better scope than just shooting steel.

When I shoot steel out to 1k normally I only shoot on 14x

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                      Also are you looking at shooting steel plates or actual shooting precision groups on paper?

To me paper groups you need a much better scope than just shooting steel.

When I shoot steel out to 1k normally I only shoot on 14x

Anything past 500 yards will be steel

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                        If you are looking for a true LR scope in that price-range, you aren't going to find many solid options and I'd probably take Leupold out of your consideration set. Your budget is putting you right under some good options though, and adding a couple hundred bucks or going used will get you to a better place. If the scope won't do what its supposed to do, then the rifle won't be able to do what its supposed to do and if the rifle won't do what its supposed to do, then you can't do what your supposed to do. This stuff is supposed to be fun, but the fun stops quickly when a piece of equipment hinders your success.

You don't have to spend anywhere near 2K on glass, but repeatability and dependability usually start just North of $800 if you choose carefully. IMO, your primary requirement for an entry level LR scope should be consistent tracking first and foremost with a useable reticle coming in a close second. Glass doesn't need to be exceptional, just good enough to get the job done. A zero stop is nice, but the rest is just window dressing on entry level models. You'll see a lot of scopes in your stated budget that seem to have it all and then some, but they'll usually fall short on requirement #1.

The Bushnell mentioned above has a proven track record. Knowing Meopta, their new scopes also mentioned will probably be solid as well. The Vortex Gen 2 PST seems to be a popular choice in that range as well as the Burris offering. All are going to be just slightly above your budget, though. I'm sure there are several others in that range I can't think of right now. The only one that comes to mind that ABSOLUTELY TRACKS in the under $600 range is the SWFA 3-15........but it is SFP. The Athlon ARES BTR is well under your budget right now and has proven to be a serviceable option as an entry level scope that actually does have a big feature set. Proving that sometimes spending more doesn't get you more. Along those same lines..............

I just spent the morning behind six brand new Leupold VX5-HD scopes. I think I walked away with a better understanding of why we hear so many different viewpoints on quality now. They were literally ALL DIFFERENT! They ranged from pretty nice to almost falling apart right out of the box. I didn't have the time or desire to do any formal tracking tests, but 2 were obviously off by some degree, and one was a flat out joke. To be fair, that one had a parallax knob that clicked with rotation along with the image changing size while adjusting it(that's a new one on me), and the windage knob had enough slop it looked like it was trying to come off. Another had a significant reticle shift when changing power. The other 2 seemed to be acting like they should, but I wonder if they would pass a tall target test based on all the other observations? So, a 60% failure rate would be hard to recommend to someone at that price point. Question for the Leupold guys - are the product lines under the VX-5 line performing any better?
                        I was in the same boat not long ago and went with the Athlon Ares BTR just to try something different. I must say....I'm pretty impressed to this point. I've only taken it to 400 but it dialed great and perfectly returned to zero. I've only got 1 range trip on it so far. It's on a RPR in 6.5 Creed and I had it in a Burris PEPR because that what I had at the time. Just ordered some Seekins rings and remounted it. Now it's time to get back to the range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I recently got one of these for a 6.5 CM and so far I like it. Another option to consider. I'm not going to say it is as good as a $1k+ scope but it is pretty nice for the price.

DetailsThis item has been discontinued. Please check out this selection of Primary Arms 3-18x rifle scopes.This Primary Arms rifle scope is part of the SLx optics line. SLx optics have built a reputation for innovation, reliability, and value. All SLx optics undergo rigorous field-testing during development to best serve you in any environment.The Primary Arms 3-18x50mm first focal plane illuminated rifle scope punches far outside of its weight class. At 3x magnification, fast snap shots at close range are a breeze with the daylight bright illuminated reticle, but the scope easily allows shooters to reach the 1,000 yard line when cranked up to the full 18x available at the top end. To make the best of the reticle at every magnification, it has been etched into the first focal plane. This allows it to be 'true' at every magnification, allowing the ranging, hold overs, and wind holds to be used as long as you can see them.Features:First Focal Plane reticle is true at every magnificationFull reticle illumination is daylight brightACSS APOLLO 6.5 CM Reticle provides ranging, bullet drop, and wind holds out to 1,000 yards in up to 20mph cross windsChevron central aiming point provides infinitely small aiming pointThe replaceable power ring fin can be positioned to user preferenceLocking, Zero resettable turrets30mm main tubeWeight: 25.4 oz. with battery, without lens coversWater proof, fog resistant, shock resistantLifetime warrantyThe 3-18x50mm is equipped with the ACSS APOLLO 6.5CM reticle, simply the ultimate option for 6.5 Creedmoor shooters available. Simply sight in at 100 yards and you are ready to engage at any range out to 1,000 yards with crosswinds up to 20 mph, all without requiring any math or touching a single turret. Combine the built-in range estimation and hold overs with an infinitely precise chevron tip aiming point and .2 MIL crosshair subtensions, and you have a firing solution at any distance.The 3-18x50mm scope body is our most advanced to date, offering new innovative features, as well as old favorites. A removable and replaceable fin on the power ring allows for rapid adjustment of the magnification range just like a magnification lever, with placement of the fin entirely at the discretion of the operator. The improved turrets have tactile and audible 0.1 MIL click adjustments, as well as offering easy reset once you've got your zero and secure locking to prevent accidental adjustments. The illumination turret offers six settings with an 'OFF' setting between each for fast switching to your preferred setting. A smooth parallax adjustment and fast focus eye piece work together to provide a perfectly crisp image of the target and reticle.Featuring clear glass, forgiving eye relief/exit pupil characteristics, and efficient industrial design, the 3-18x50 FFP Scope with ACSS APOLLO 6.5CM reticle is backed up by the Primary Arms Lifetime Warranty.See More

Comment

I have a pair of Burris XTR IIs that are always for sale. One is 5-25 and the other 8-40. PM if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good info here.

Comment

There are a lot of deals on scopes right now. Get a budget and look around.
                                Midway had the Athlon ares for $425ish, normally 900$. I bought one to try out. No comments of yet.
                                Dvor has had vortex on sale within past month, I think there are a few bushnells on there too, nitro and forge (not a lot of feedback yet).
                                Eurooptics has had sales on vortex and nikon black (not sure of everyone’s thoughts). There are a lot of of options. I think everyone has a favorite brand.

If you want new rifle and like Minox, there is a 50% Minox coupon that comes with new M18 Mauser rifle. You can get that rifle for under 500$, then with coupon, buy a 1800 optic for 900$.

The bushnell that camera land has seems
                                To have a good following. I don’t long range shoot, I’m not recommending a scope, just giving you some brand/price options on stuff that seems to favor well with people on multiple forums.

Comment

Working...
                                X