UTV's... comparisons, good bad ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTV's... comparisons, good bad ugly

In market for new UTV.. (4 seater with bed)
    I've used/driven TOL Polaris Rangers and Kawasaki Mules over the year over pretty harsh environments.. and liked them both.. but preferred the Mule for how much better built it seemed to be.. definitely quieter...comparable suspension and more power.

But I find myself looking at the John Deere Gators...
    How do these things compare to the power, suspension, dependability of the ranger/mules?

Kawasaki mule pro fxt all day long, cant beat the 3 year warranty.

Comment

My FIL bought a new 4 seat gator back in 2014ish. It looked sharp and was comfortable riding, just around the ranch. HOWEVER - it was in the shop multiple times during first 6 months for warranty work. I don't remember what exactly the issue was, something with engine that took multiple visits and over a month to fix... He died and the gator was auctioned off before we could determine if it was really fixed or not. Either way, based on that experience I wouldn't get a gator if I was in the market. Of course, things could have changed a lot during the last few years.

I would avoid rangers - I just put a 2K engine in my 2015 ranger. Drive shafts are loose, bearings need replaced, list goes on... Guy I bought it from must have been rough on it, but I still can't see how pretty much every component went to hell in less than 2 years. Meanwhile my Dad's 15 year Kawasaki with over 3k hours is going strong and never had any major issues.

Comment

check out the Kubota RTV X series if you want a diesel machine. Kubota is also coming out with a new gas line this year or they may have actually released them already.

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
          check out the Kubota RTV X series if you want a diesel machine. Kubota is also coming out with a new gas line this year or they may have actually released them already.
          Whats the ride like on the kubotas? comparable to the mule/ranger?
          price points near the same too?

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            Kawasaki mule pro fxt all day long, cant beat the 3 year warranty.
            These seem to be getting a lot of votes in recent years. I briefly looked at the gators in 2015 when I bought my ranger. But I never actually drove or put my hands on one. From what I heard, they're decent machines but won't win any races. My decision came down to price for the most part, so I know the Mule was out of the question. That may have been what turned me away from the JD also, I really can't remember. But I kick my self a lot for being cheap and going with the 570 ranger without even considering the 900. If you are gonna use it a lot for hunting and work especially with a crew, don't get the 570 ranger. Unless they have made some changes recently, it's loud and could use some more power if you load it down IMO (and that's with a 2 seater).

Comment

If you don't have to have the 4 seats all the time, you need to go look at the Honda Pioneer 1000-5. It is a legitimate 5 person UTV that rides like a dream, will run 60 mph and have pedal left, 3 different drive modes in the 6 speed automatic transmission, and auto load leveling system that allows you to haul some serious weight in the tilt bed... and as far as dependability.... well it's a HONDA...

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry101 View Post
                My FIL bought a new 4 seat gator back in 2014ish. It looked sharp and was comfortable riding, just around the ranch. HOWEVER - it was in the shop multiple times during first 6 months for warranty work. I don't remember what exactly the issue was, something with engine that took multiple visits and over a month to fix... He died and the gator was auctioned off before we could determine if it was really fixed or not. Either way, based on that experience I wouldn't get a gator if I was in the market. Of course, things could have changed a lot during the last few years.

I would avoid rangers - I just put a 2K engine in my 2015 ranger. Drive shafts are loose, bearings need replaced, list goes on... Guy I bought it from must have been rough on it, but I still can't see how pretty much every component went to hell in less than 2 years. Meanwhile my Dad's 15 year Kawasaki with over 3k hours is going strong and never had any major issues.
                Wow, he must have been rough on it. That's a lot of work. I'm not easy on mine, but it's still in good mechanical shape. Only needs a steering boot, but I keep it greased really good and try to service it regularly. I looked the other day and it has around 350 hours and about 2300 miles on it just for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  If you don't have to have the 4 seats all the time, you need to go look at the Honda Pioneer 1000-5. It is a legitimate 5 person UTV that rides like a dream, will run 60 mph and have pedal left, 3 different drive modes in the 6 speed automatic transmission, and auto load leveling system that allows you to haul some serious weight in the tilt bed... and as far as dependability.... well it's a HONDA...
                  I'm an old motocrosser who bought new bikes every year.. so when you say Honda, my accountant can be heard screaming not again....
                  whats the price point comparitively..
                  right now for a 4-5 seaters with decent power (mid to high end models), it seems to be JD at the low end, and kaw at the high end..with polaris a close second... Honda a new number 1?

Comment

The RTV X series rides well and the machines are heavy duty built. The diesels are slow but have a lot of power.

Comment

I have a Gator goin on 4 years. No problems at all. Only had to do regular maintenance. It has not gotten stuck, it has pulled full sizes trucks when they have broken down and it tows #2000 worth of feed on a regular basis

Comment

Can Am defenders are pretty dang nice all around. You pay a bit more though.
                        Do yourself a favor and test ride one after you have tried all the others.

Comment

I have 2 Polaris Ranger 900s, a Single Seater (Bench Seat) and A Dual Seater (Console front, bench back, seats 5 plus the High Rack)

I have Never had either one in the shop and have put them through some harsh work (Loading and Pulling)

I have multiple friends with Ranger with no issues. I am sure there are bad apples out there but for speed, payload and ride Ranger wins 1000000%

Comment

The price point on the Honda is pretty much the dame as the Ranger. Maneuverability is another BIG advantage of the Pioneer 1000-5... It's turning radius will turn inside all the other 2 seaters... Mine is box stock standard except the custom aluminum top, front end replacement bumper, and aluminum front basket(Big Country Outdoors). Much better suspension than the Rangers... Rangers is all I really can compare it to because most of my hunting mates run Rangers... They're makin' noises about bumping up to the Honda now too...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Pioneer-1000-002.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	24534057

Name:	Pioneer-1000-003.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	24534058

Name:	Pioneer-1000-004.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	24534059

This is my 700-4 but it shows the seat configuration in the back. The 1000 is just like it only bigger.

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	24534060

Comment

Originally posted by Alemana View Post
                              I have a Gator goin on 4 years. No problems at all. Only had to do regular maintenance. It has not gotten stuck, it has pulled full sizes trucks when they have broken down and it tows #2000 worth of feed on a regular basis
                              Very similar experience with our company Gator 825i crossover. 2014 model. It handles weight and harsh terrain like I wouldn’t have believed beforehand. We use it (heavily) almost daily and haven’t had any problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X