No announcement yet.

F250 Fifth Wheel Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe 20 miles max from property to property if needed. If I were to be traveling full time with it I would go with a 3500 DRW.

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
      Maybe 20 miles max from property to property if needed. If I were to be traveling full time with it I would go with a 3500 DRW.

Pull it with out worry

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
        Nope... That ain't all it is and I think you know that...

GCWR is about stopping... GVWR is about carrying... the two are mutually inclusive if towing, but both are independent also...

That F250 rated for 10,000 pounds GVWR is limited to a total weight of 10K..

And yet it is rated to tow 15K... however a 15K 5th wheel trailer with an average of 20% pin weight would have a pin weight of 3000 pounds... Although many of the bigger 5th wheels run up to 25% plus for pin weights..

My '12 2WD F250 XL with the 6.7 had a payload of 2600 before I added a hitch, tool box, wife, dog, or ice chest... Scaled weight ready to tow was 8300, now exactly were am I gonna put a 3000 pound pin weight...

And a 4 X 4 F-250 would have even less payload... add a fancy bumper guard, running boards, butt warmer, power seats, leather and a few other things like kids, dogs, deer corn, and beer and you're almost out of payload before adding a trailer...

Those of you looking to haul a large 5th wheel RV should by pass the F250 and at the least look at SRW F350 / 3500 pickups.. I went dually so I didn't have to trade again when the wife wanted a bigger trailer.. Mine only weighs 12.5K...

They can tow them, they just can't carry them...

Maybe on 5th wheel where you can't control tongue weight. My experience is with gooseneck where if loaded correctly you can pull it if you can stop it.

Used to be power was the limit but not now days.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Pull it with out worry
          I've been told by hotshot runners that the 2500 will handle the trailer even loaded down to the GVWR but I'm not sure. The math just adds up to too much kingpin weight for the 2500's payload.

I've never done the math myself, not even sure how it all works.

Comment

You say a toyhauler is required. How much weight are you putting in it, and where at in relation to the axles? That will have a big affect on pin weight. 2k pounds at the very back end of the trailer might make a 500 pound pin difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
              Still on a travel trailer search. I never thought a 3/4 ton diesel truck would limit me. What 5th wheel weight can I realistically tow? Specs say one thing, forums another. Seems the pin weight is too high? Has to be a toy hauler which are heavier. Even the nicer bumper pulls are close to the max specs. Can someone help me understand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              If you spent about 500 bucks and have your dealer add an extra leaf spring to each side of your rear you will now have a 1 ton

Comment

Originally posted by clintb View Post
                If you spent about 500 bucks and have your dealer add an extra leaf spring to each side of your rear you will now have a 1 ton

No. Just no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  This is FALSE for 2017. No idea for the previous year models. A 2017 F-250 with the 6.7 diesel uses the Sterling 10.5 axle, while the F-350 SRW uses the larger M275 axle. The 5 leaf pack, larger axle, and heavier front springs are what sets the 350 apart. The axle being the key component.
                  Look at the door sticker, its a 13 model.

Comment

Originally posted by Traxx View Post
                    What year is your truck? I had a 13 F350 SRW CC 4x4 and was limited to 16K 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch. I moved up to a DRW for increased towing capacities. Looking into it the limits on the SRW it was due to the gear ratios, 3.55/1 and the previous truck a GMC 3/4 ton with 3.73/1 had the same towing capacity. The main difference between the F250 and F350 SRW is the rear leaf springs/overload springs. The F350 SRW has the same towing but a higher payload in the bed. Here is a webpage just select your year and poke around.
                    https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas.../techspec.html
                    I had the same issue. Had a 2012 F-350 with the 3.55. Fifth wheel was about 16 to 17k full (40ft). I did not feel comfortable and sold it and bought a 15 Chevy DRW. Pulls a lot better. Main thing is, when you look at the weight of the RV, you have to remember also what you are loading in it and then calculate your total weight. Don't let the salesmen just assume you can pull it. Either you have to bump the truck up or go for a smaller toyhauler. That's why I ended up with a DRW.

Comment

Working...
                    X