No announcement yet.

F250 Fifth Wheel Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are looking at getting a new truck and are hauling a truck camper, 5th wheel or bumper pull, do yourself a favor and just get an F350 (possibly an F450 dually depending on situation).
    The more options you put on it the less payload capacity you will have. My 2016 F250 Lariat had a payload of 2496 lbs and a 10,000 lb GVWR. My new F350 XLT has a payload of 4226 lbs and a 11,300 lb GVWR.

Comment

What Mike D said plus look at your rear tire/axle capacity. That is usually what gets you overloaded first with a 3/4 ton single wheel and a 5th wheel.

Comment

Thanks guys. Working a deal on a work and play bumper pull. Fits our needs and specs better for now. Good weight distributing hitch and I'm well under capacity fully loaded. Safer, easier and no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          Thanks guys. Working a deal on a work and play bumper pull. Fits our needs and specs better for now. Good weight distributing hitch and I'm well under capacity fully loaded. Safer, easier and no worries.

How big a trailer is this one?

Tongue pull has many issues when towing vs a 5th wheel.

Having pulled both I'll never choose a tongue pull over a 5th wheel again. The 5th wheel pulls that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just under 30' overall, 26' box I believe. I wanted a lot of things a 5th wheel offered but this met all our wants including two queen beds, under 30' and fits in my building. Add in the durability which means it will be a killer hunting cabin when we do upgrade to a family 5th wheel down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Traxx View Post
              Texas Bob, the pin weight can be helped with overload springs or airbags. Make sure the rim and tire combo will support the weight. The drivetrain, brakes and chassis are the same on the f250 and 350 SRW. The tow weight is affected by the axle gear ratio if you look at the chart in the link you can see the diff between axle gear ratios. The "higher" ratio/ lower number will put more stress on the drivetrain. But then again so will putting bigger tires on your truck. The key is to keep your RPM range in its sweet spot for torque when towing.

This is FALSE for 2017. No idea for the previous year models. A 2017 F-250 with the 6.7 diesel uses the Sterling 10.5 axle, while the F-350 SRW uses the larger M275 axle. The 5 leaf pack, larger axle, and heavier front springs are what sets the 350 apart. The axle being the key component.

Comment

Oh and for the gasser the drivetrain isn't the same unless optioned that way. The 250 uses the 6R100, and the 350 uses the 6R140. The 250 can be optioned with the 6R140 though.

Comment

Real Truck...

It ain't about what you can pull... it's about how much you can carry...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 08-08-2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post

Good gawd, all anyone has to do is walk up to your truck in any parking lot and get your vin off your dash. Of all places to hide it, here on a post to other tbh'rs. No trust man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                      Real Truck...

It ain't about what you can pull... it's about how much you can carry...

Negative.

It's all about how much you can stop.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        Negative.

It's all about how much you can stop.
                        Nope... That ain't all it is and I think you know that...

GCWR is about stopping... GVWR is about carrying... the two are mutually inclusive if towing, but both are independent also...

That F250 rated for 10,000 pounds GVWR is limited to a total weight of 10K..

And yet it is rated to tow 15K... however a 15K 5th wheel trailer with an average of 20% pin weight would have a pin weight of 3000 pounds... Although many of the bigger 5th wheels run up to 25% plus for pin weights..

My '12 2WD F250 XL with the 6.7 had a payload of 2600 before I added a hitch, tool box, wife, dog, or ice chest... Scaled weight ready to tow was 8300, now exactly were am I gonna put a 3000 pound pin weight...

And a 4 X 4 F-250 would have even less payload... add a fancy bumper guard, running boards, butt warmer, power seats, leather and a few other things like kids, dogs, deer corn, and beer and you're almost out of payload before adding a trailer...

Those of you looking to haul a large 5th wheel RV should by pass the F250 and at the least look at SRW F350 / 3500 pickups.. I went dually so I didn't have to trade again when the wife wanted a bigger trailer.. Mine only weighs 12.5K...

They can tow them, they just can't carry them...
                        Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 08-09-2017, 05:53 AM.

Comment

It really boils down to simple math but many people refuse to do it. Then you throw in a WDH and it really fouls things up.

Comment

I have a ram 2500 and a 42 foot fifth wheel and will be trading down to a bumper pull eventually. I'm at the edge of being able haul the fifth whee, and that is with it being completely empty with only myself and a full tank of diesel in the truck. The GVWR on the trailer is 13,800lbs.

I would have purchased a 1ton DRW if I knew I would be pulling it often, but I might move it once or twice over the next 5 years. There are some smaller fifth wheels that a 2500 can handle but i feel like you get more size going to a bumper pull vs smaller fifth wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
                              I have a ram 2500 and a 42 foot fifth wheel and will be trading down to a bumper pull eventually. I'm at the edge of being able haul the fifth whee, and that is with it being completely empty with only myself and a full tank of diesel in the truck. The GVWR on the trailer is 13,800lbs.

I would have purchased a 1ton DRW if I knew I would be pulling it often, but I might move it once or twice over the next 5 years. There are some smaller fifth wheels that a 2500 can handle but i feel like you get more size going to a bumper pull vs smaller fifth wheels.

Maybe in theory but the ride quality, handling and stability is MUCH better with a 5th wheel than a bumper pull trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post

How far do you typically tow it?

Comment

Working...
                                X