No announcement yet.

14-point, 170"+ late season bowkill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome buck Joshua. Were you smoked up?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I'm still pinching myself

I just wrote a deposit check to the taxidermist yesterday, so I know it's real!

I forgot to mention last night my feelings about his weight/age. His field dressed weight is 145 lbs, we weighed him yesterday. Not a real big bodied deer for Ohio. In fact, of the 3 bucks I've killed in these last 3 hunting seasons, he is the smallest bodied of them all, by 20 pounds, even though he outscores the biggest of the other two by 30+ inches. I never saw him or got pictures of him between early August and late November, so I don't know if he ever really bulked up during the rut. The few pics I got of him in late November, he looks the same, body wise, as in the January pics. Personally, I think he just didn't have a big body. And, I know many will think this is crazy, but I personally believe this is a 3 1/2 year old deer. I have pictures of a buck last year that I'm about 99% sure is him, and he had a 9-point rack that would have scored, at the most, 120". He looked last year for all the world to me like an average 2 year old buck for this part of the state. If he was 3 years old, then he had a below average rack last year. I think he was just a freak and put on way more than average antler growth between last year and this year. This is just my opinion, I didn't check out his jaw right away and then once I thought about it, it was frozen shut. I'm hoping to retrieve it in the next few days and look it over. His neck measured just a tad over 18".

BrandonA, you bet I was smoked up - head to toe

Comment

Awesome deer! Congrats!

Comment

Great deer. Congrats!!

Comment

nice...very nice. Congrats

Comment

nice

Comment

wow..awsome buck and thanks for sharing the experience! Great read!

Comment

Well Joshua I guess smoking still doesn't work. For those that still have doubts, its going to be hard to argue with a buck like that.

Comment

Awesome deer.. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats, awsome buck!

Comment

DUDE!

Congrats!

Good to see your kids as well my friend.

Very, very, very well done!

Comment

I'd like to add one more thing to this story. Not only did my wonderful wife come out in the woods with me several hours after dark, with temps in the low teens to help me take a few pics and load the buck on my ATV (thank goodness I didn't have to drag him by the horns, they might have popped off this late in the season!).... She came out with me the next morning, with the temperature at 3 degrees F, got down prone on a towel spread on the snowy ground, and took 70 pictures
                          (takes that many to get a dozen good ones) of me with my buck in various poses and lighting, for a little over half an hour. Not only that, but she also loves to hunt, and cooks venison like it's going out of style. She's a very fine woman. Thanks, Julie, for understanding and accommodating my obsession!

Comment

Awesome deer and great story!! Congrats

Comment

Wow, I want to hunt up north bad!!!

Comment

One word........STUD!! Congrats Josh, as usual Great Story, and Great LDP's. Congrats, I don't think anyone Hunt's them like you do. Very Well Deserved! Great Looking Kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X